Unit control in battles

Vulkov

Hello guys !  I watched few matches on RA2.This made me wondering what is the deal with the  exchanging cat and mouse chase with tank battles ? Is the idea to " hit and run " before you get hit in return ?  Also if that's true is it easier for tanks who are chasing to hit, than tanks who are being chased from behind?  Any tips when having tank battles ? Thanks !

Yes, players will try to get more tanks into shooting range as their opponents tanks, thus dealing more damage. this can be done by moving in on weak spots on their opponents tank configuration. for example when a few tanks are moving behind the tankgroup or tanks are moving in a line, you move on them with your grouped tanks and pick off some easy kills. you can also move in on your enemy tanks if you have your dogs positioned in front of your dogs so that the opponent tanks will autotarget your dogs while you target his tanks.

if you are playing soviet vs allied you should remember the soviet rhino tanks have more range as the allied grizzly tanks. the soviet player will try to take advantage of this by moving his tanks just close enough to the allied tanks to take advantage of this extra range. the allied player usually will try to quickly overrun and surround the rhino's since they usually have more tanks. by doing this the allied player can get all his tanks into range and the soviet tanks turrents move slower. so if grizzly's are surrounding rhino's the soviet player will get less shots off as the grizzly's.

this also brings me to answering your question about chasing tanks. if the allied player will try to overwhelm the rhino tank group like i just explained the soviet player will try to run in time so the grizzly's have to chase the rhino's, since the rhino has more range it will get more shots off as the grizzly's, so chasing rhino's with grizzly's is almost always a bad idea. rhino chasing rhino and grizzly chasing grizzly is better for the chasing tanks since they dont need to rotate their turrets.

mirages chasing rhino's also have an advantage since they have more range as rhino's

hope this answers your questions

What does ctrl+alt+click do in tank battles? Does it move tanks just the distance of the firing range and attack or something?

Ctrl + SHIFT + click does this, for: mirages, prism tanks, flak traks, apocalypse... and any other unit (including infantry) that does not fire while on the move.

Ctrl + alt + click makes a unit guard/follow another unit.

What does ctrl+alt+click do in tank battles? Does it move tanks just the distance of the firing range and attack or something?

Ctrl + SHIFT + click does this, for: mirages, prism tanks, flak traks, apocalypse... and any other unit (including infantry) that does not fire while on the move.

Ctrl + alt + click makes a unit guard/follow another unit.

Thanks mate.

But still puzzling to understand how ctrl+shift+click differs from just click. I just tested and as far as I know both ways the attacker kept the same distance from what it attacked. I tested with prisms and mirages.

When you just click enemy tanks they will all target the same tank (not efficiënt) and then stand still on their position. if you attack move with a large group of mirages they individually shoot the target closest to them and they will continue moving untill they are in range of a target again. Try this

go play a brutal enemy

place 15 prism tanks in front of the computers base

attack move to the other side of the base

?????

profit!

But still puzzling to understand how ctrl+shift+click differs from just click. I just tested and as far as I know both ways the attacker kept the same distance from what it attacked. I tested with prisms and mirages.

If you click on an enemy unit while holding ctrl + shift, then yes you might as well have just clicked. But if you click on the ground near the unit, then no.

Ctrl + shift + click is useful for when it's difficult to target (click) the enemy unit. Take an enemy plane for example: if it's in the air, especially while changing directions, it'll be a little difficult to target it with your flak trak by just clicking on it (especially if you have a large screen resolution and the units are small). But if you use ctrl + shift and just click somewhere near the plane, providing the flak trak is close enough, it'll hit it.