Dune Dynasty

Nyerguds

I like it, but there's no strong incentive for me to play OpenRA over the originals (originals with in high resolution, that is). That may change once Dune II is fully implemented.

You may want to check out Dune Dynasty then. It's built on OpenDune, the Dune II reverse-engineering project that managed to reconstruct the game's complete source code, meaning Dune Dynasty isn't some clone, but actually the original Dune II upgraded with C&C-like controls, high resolution, and a ton more stuff.

Official page:

http://dunedynasty.sourceforge.net/

My own installation/tweaking guide:

https://forum.dune2k.com/topic/24316-dune-dynasty/?page=12#comment-391240

don't need OpenRA for that  :cncsmirk:

I actually have Dune Dynasty, and it's what I'm going to use for my inevitable Dune II LP. However, I'd like to see a proper C&C1-style side menu, full left click commands, a fullscreen mode that simply fills the screen and doesn't reduce the map to a rectangle in a sea of black. I tried Dune Legacy too, but it's enhanced AI combined with massive 1994 AI cheating is no fun.

I actually prefer Dune II style, with each building with its own queue. Can't believe it took them until C&C3 to bring it back...

C&C3-style sidebar was actually suggested in the Dynasty project, but rejected because it can't possibly fit on the original sized sidebar.

As for the fullscreen, I had that too, but it can be fixed. You can set different graphics modes in the config file. I suggest you read through the thread; there's some interesting info in there. Do note that, just like in C&C1, high res does not magically make maps bigger.

Ah. That is actually a problem in your graphics driver; it chooses to "switch" to the lower resolution by displaying it in your full resolution rather than stretching it. Look through your video card controls for letterboxing/stretching options.

A somewhat-workaround for that is to set window_mode to "fullscreenwindow" (which plays the game in your native res fullscreen) and using the sidebar and playfield zooming to get a closer look at stuff. The sidebar and menu bar can be zoomed on-the-fly, using the '[' and ']' toggle keys, but that only switches between 1x and 2x zoom. 3x zoom (which is really nicer in higher resolutions) can be achieved by editing it into the config, though higher factors than 3 sadly don't seem to work.

Scroll wheel normally zooms the playing field, though switching that in the options to scroll the sidebar will give you ctrl+scroll for playing field zoom instead.

This is the config I currently play in:

[graphics]
# driver is one of: opengl, direct3d
driver=opengl
# window_mode is one of: windowed, fullscreen, fullscreenwindow
window_mode=fullscreenwindow
screen_width=640
screen_height=480
menubar_scale=3.00
sidebar_scale=3.00
viewport_scale=2.00
hardware_cursor=1

(as I said, width and height are ignored in "fullscreenwindow" mode)

(if graphics don't show ingame, try switching the renderer)

dynasty_2x_sidestuff_3x.png.4ec6d612dd26d4210248dcaa7754cc70.png

The config file zoom hack, or your graphics driver settings? :P

btw, I got the scrollwheel set to scroll the sidebar, since I really scroll the sidebar more than I change the game's zoom level, but apparently the way Dynasty himself played the game was by basically scroll-zooming in and out instead of scrolling the map, kind of Supreme Commander style. Hence why the scrollwheel (without ctrl) defaults to map zooming.

You may want to check out Dune Dynasty then. It's built on OpenDune, the Dune II reverse-engineering project that managed to reconstruct the game's complete source code, meaning Dune Dynasty isn't some clone, but actually the original Dune II upgraded with C&C-like controls, high resolution, and a ton more stuff.

don't need OpenRA for that  :cncsmirk:

That's what I also told them. Nevertheless https://github.com/OpenRA/d2 now exists and already works surprisingly well for an early build: https://streamable.com/9g2z