Beta Nod Structures

Inq

Not bad, but... the effect is all wrong. It's as if you adapted half of the buildings to replace the red with house colour, and the other half to replace the gray with house colour. You should really be more consistent with that. You also missed the gray details on the conyard crane.

The Nod beta colours actually divide the remap range into two parts which are then adjusted separately, half to red and half to dark gray. It's actually not too hard to implement that in the game, especially since Nod already has logic to separate the unit remap, meaning there's no need to reduce the units to only use 8 colours as remap. The MCV and harvester graphics would need to be adapted for it to work, though, since those use the structures remap.

Though the logo on the  conyard is a different issue :P

Did you manage to reconstruct the Repair Bay, by the way?

repair.png

For the record, the beta refinery:

nodbase.gif

...and the GDI logo conyard:

gdi_conyard.gif

Not bad, but... the effect is all wrong. It's as if you adapted half of the buildings to replace the red with house colour, and the other half to replace the gray with house colour. You should really be more consistent with that. You also missed the gray details on the conyard crane.

The Nod beta colours actually divide the remap range into two parts which are then adjusted separately, half to red and half to dark gray. It's actually not too hard to implement that in the game, especially since Nod already has logic to separate the unit remap, meaning there's no need to reduce the units to only use 8 colours as remap. The MCV and harvester graphics would need to be adapted for it to work, though, since those use the structures remap.

Though the logo on the  conyard is a different issue :P

Did you manage to reconstruct the Repair Bay, by the way?

repair.png

For the record, the beta refinery:

nodbase.gif

...and the GDI logo conyard:

gdi_conyard.gif

Thanks for the feedback,

Yeah I was trying to replicate the beta look but in a multiplayer environment. So I chose the red as a consistent theme colour, as opposed to remap.

I could modify the refinery easy enough, the detail on the crane is a lot of effort for small reward, that's why I skipped it. (So far ?)

No I never tried the repair pad... As far as I'm aware that's the only incomplete picture of it & im not sure how it would look/function when active.

As for the GDI con yard, I only made Nod buildings. ?

But perhaps I could try that in the future!

That's just OpenRA's colour scheme being darker than the normal game's gray :P

Yeah, hard to get a lighter shade of grey.

The guard towers are also modified  to be full remap.  ;)

Bonus points if you noticed I changed the GDI medium tank back to beta barrel colour too. (uses the same colour/shading technique as the mammoth tank)

• 3 weeks later...

I already work with custom purple remap on my editing palettes. It would be really simple to make that into two different colours :P

And on the palette, the remap range is already two 8-colour fades from dark to bright, so if I just use one of them for each Nod colour, and then edit the buildings to use these two different fades for the different areas, the buildings will still look the same for GDI, but will have split colours for Nod.

On 2017-4-13 at 4:09 AM, Inq said:

the detail on the crane is a lot of effort for small reward, that's why I skipped it.

Not sure how that's a lot of effort, given that a 100% pixel perfect version of it exists as png.

Don't tell me you do this stuff manually pixel by pixel rather than just using clever colour palette separation... :huh:

6 hours ago, Nyerguds said:

Not sure how that's a lot of effort, given that a 100% pixel perfect version of it exists as png.

Don't tell me you do this stuff manually pixel by pixel rather than just using clever colour palette separation... :huh:

Yeah that's great except it's only good for one frame. The crane moves position so there is a lot of extra work involved. (I'd have to draw it)

Haha, if I was manually editing all it pixel by pixel I'd still not be finished! :P