error unable to set video mode

netflixYR

Question

i got windows 10 64 bit and yuri+RA2 give me  that "Error-unable to set video mode "

i download it from origin also tried pirated version and with pirated version RA2 works fine but yuri still gives the same error

Radeon Software Version - 16.5
Radeon Software Edition - Crimson
Windows Version - Windows 10 (64 bit)
System Memory - 6 GB
CPU Type - Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-7500U CPU @ 2.70GHz

Screenshot (16).png

21 answers to this question

Hello,

Please try one of the following solutions:

• Set your game resolution to the same resolution as your desktop. Navigate to Client Options > Display, and select the resolution and save.
  • Ensure your video drivers are up to date.
  • Remove RA2MD.ini

Yuri's Revenge is fixed at 800x600 at start up (game menu). My GUESS is that's what's causing the problem, and that you haven't installed CnCNet's Yuri's Revenge launcher (which shouldn't be necessary, but usually helps and also makes the game so much better).

Try the following (one at a time)...

1. Change your desktop resolution to 800x600.
  2. Change the game's resolution in ra2md.ini (located in your game's installation folder).
  3. Download and install the previously mentioned CnCNet YR Launcher (the good old download-the-launcher solution!).
  4. Run the game in windowed mode.

Hello,

Please try one of the following solutions:

• Go into your Red Alert 2 folder, in there you will find "game.exe", "gamemd.exe" "ra2.exe", "gamemd-spawn.exe" and "ra2md.exe", right click -> properties -> compatibility, Enable "Reduced Color Mode: 16bit"
  • Enable the "Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings" compatibility mode for all executables (see above)
  • Set your game resolution to the same resolution as your desktop. Navigate to Client Options -> Display, and select the resolution and save.

On Monday, April 17, 2017 at 4:19 AM, netflixYR said:

my lowest desktop resolution is 1024x768

I think this is your problem right here: 'LOWEST'. The game is trying to set itself to 800x600 which is below the limits of your monitor. Try another monitor, even your tv for now just to see if it works.

No matter which resolution you pick, Yuri's Revenge sets the resolution to 800x600 for the loading screen, then uses the actual selected resolution only when the game has actually started. So your monitor needs to support 800x600 for the game to work.

RA2 supports higher resolutions in the loading screen already, which is why RA2 works but YR doesn't.

Edited by Rampastring

2 hours ago, netflixYR said:

but i think yuri and ra2 is also playable at 1024*768

that laptop got FHD display so that means yuri isnt playable on this?

YR is indeed playable at that resolution, and much higher too, but only while actually in-game (with all the tanks, planes and so on), but not at the MENU. RA2 has no problems, which is why you've been able to play it. I've been able to play them at 2560x1440, but not any higher for some reason (I've been trying to play at 4K resolution, but both games keep crashing when I try to go higher than 1440p :( ), but that's another story.

The problem isn't that RA2/YR can't be played on a full HD monitor at higher screen resolutions, the problem is the MENU for YR, which is unfortunately FIXED at 800 x 600 resolution. Take a look at my display settings:

screen%20range%20full_zpsfcelp3zt.jpg

This is the entire range of my tv screen's capability. It is currently set to 1080p (or Full HD). I can set it from a low resolution, all the way up to 4k (4096 x 2160), and everything in between, mostly. Notice how even though my screen can go up to a high 4k, it can also go all the way down to a low 800 x 600, which is what is required for the YR menu. If you check your display settings, yours will more than likely only have 1024 x 768 at the bottom, which is the LOWEST it is capable of, but not low enough to play YR.

Keep in mind that these games are very old and were developed at a time when full HD monitors weren't around. To my knowledge, it is unfortunate that up to now nobody has been able to resize the YR menu :D

8 minutes ago, netflixYR said:

you know how to create a custom resolution?

width,height and refresh rate for 800x600?

I do but I've never had to, and frankly I'm afraid to try it :D

On my Radeon (Crimson) settings, which is the same as yours, or similar: Preferences -> Radeon Additional Settings -> My Digital Flat Panels -> Custom Resolutions.

Try it at your own risk, then let us know if it worked! :P

6 minutes ago, netflixYR said:

ohh i just create a resolution of 800*600 and it worked

What about the game itself (YR)?