Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Grant

Frequently Asked Questions

9 answers to this question

My game is slow, has a black screen, or the gameplay is choppy. 

If you are experiencing slow or choppy gameplay whilst playing on CnCNet, there are a few steps you can take to troubleshoot the problem.

Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun:

1. Install the Tiberian Dawn, Red Alert, or Tiberian Sun client.
  2. Click Settings and select the game appropriate to change the settings for.
  3. A menu like this will then appear:
    image.png
  4. Under "Renderer, select "Automatic"
  5. Click "OK" and launch a skirmish game against the AI to test.
  6. If it hasn't worked, repeat steps 4-5 by selecting a different renderer that works best for your system.

Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge:

1. Install the CnCNet client 
  2. This will look for your existing game directory.
  3. Once installed run CnCNetYRLauncher.exe or the shortcut supplied.
  4. Click "Options"
  5. Select "Display" and under the render options, select a new renderer. Commonly, "Automatic", "CNC-DRRAW" or "TS-DDRAW" works best.
  6. Click Save, and launch Skirmish. 
  7. Play a game with the AI. If the gameplay is fast then this renderer will likely be the best for you.
  8. If it hasn't worked, repeat from step 5 until you find a renderer that works best with your system.

Failing the above, ensure your video drivers are up-to-date. You are running a suitable resolution the game can handle.

render.png

• Like 2

How do I add custom maps?

1. Go to your CnCNet directory
  2. Look for the folder called "Maps"
  3. Inside the Maps folder, look for the "Custom" folder.
  4. Place any custom maps in there. Note for Red Alert 2 & Yuri's Revenge, the file extension must be a ".map"
  • Like 1

CnCNet has been blocked by my anti-virus or is showing as a virus. 

If CnCNet has been blocked or flagged by your anti-virus there are a few things to note. 

• Firstly, this warning is often nothing to worry about. Anti-virus software often flag new files as a false positive, mainly because they have discovered a new file on your system they haven't seen before. This is very common in software development, especially for small scale developers such as ourselves. 
  • Other ways a file could be flagged as a false positive is the way we protect the software from being decompiled. Some of our software is protected for reasons to keep CnCNet services safe and secure.

Important steps you can take:

• You can remove this block by allowing it as an exception to your Antivirus firewall.
  • Submit the file in question to a site such as Virus Total, where it will scan the file against other anti-virus definitions. You will probably find your anti-virus will be listed, among some of the others, but as a rule the ratio should be low, and this is fine.
  • To help us stop these alerts, you can submit a report to your antivirus software company, they will scan the file in question that has been flagged, it will be reviewed and will come back as a false positive.
  • Like 1

Unable to set Video Mode. 

• Go into your Red Alert 2 folder, in there you will find "game.exe", "gamemd.exe" "ra2.exe", "gamemd-spawn.exe" and "ra2md.exe", right click -> properties -> compatibility, Enable "Reduced Color Mode: 16bit"
  • Enable the "Disable Display Scaling on High DPI Settings" compatibility mode for all executables (see above)
  • Set your game resolution to the same resolution as your desktop. Navigate to Client Options -> Display, and select the resolution and save.
  • Ensure your video drivers are up to date.
  • Like 1

I just downloaded CnCNet, or updated and my anti-virus flagged it as a virus.

If CnCNet has been blocked or flagged by your anti-virus there are a few things to note. 

• Firstly, this warning is often nothing to worry about. Anti-virus software often flag new files as a false positive, mainly because they have discovered a new file on your system they haven't seen before. This is very common in software development, especially for small scale developers such as ourselves. 
  • Other ways a file could be flagged as a false positive is the way we protect the software from being decompiled. Some of our software is protected for reasons to keep CnCNet services safe and secure.

Important steps you can take:

• You can remove this block by allowing it as an exception to your Antivirus firewall.
  • Submit the file in question to a site such as Virus Total, where it will scan the file against other anti-virus definitions. You will probably find your anti-virus will be listed, among some of the others, but as a rule the ratio should be low, and this is fine.
  • To help us stop these alerts, you can submit a report to your antivirus software company, they will scan the file in question that has been flagged, and it will be reviewed and will come back as a false positive.
  • Like 1

Finding your client.log file for developers

1. Navigate to your Red Alert 2 folder. This is where CnCNet is installed.
  2. Look for the folder called "Client"
  3. Inside this folder, there will be a file called client.log
  4. Upload to your support topic
  • Like 1

.NET Framework 3.5 and 2 is required but Windows 10 won't download it. (Error code: 0x800F081F )

Note: Check Windows updates by going to the Windows logo and searching windows updates. Click "Check Windows Updates".
If updates are downloading, or are pending restarts, wait for these to install before trying again.

To check if the.NET Framework 3.5 is available in Control Panel and to enable it, please follow these steps:

• Press “Windows Logo” + “R” keys on the keyboard.
  • Type “appwiz.cpl” in the “Run” command box and press “ENTER”.
  • In the “Programs and Features” window, click on the link “Turn Windows features on or off”.
  • Check if the “.NET Framework 3.5 (includes .NET 2.0 and 3.0)” option is available in it.
  • If yes, then enable it and then click on “OK”.
  • Like 1

The update will not complete because it gets stuck on "waiting for client to exit" 

1. Open up Windows Task Manager
  2. Look for DTA Client / clientdx.exe or clientxna.exe
  3. End the client task
  4. The Updater window should now complete its task. 
  • Like 1

Your IP address has been listed at DroneBL

If you're listed at DroneBL the only course of action is to contact GameSurge support and ask them for further assistance. https://gamesurge.net/contact/

This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By Holland
      THIS IS REAL SIMPLE FOR ANYONE! SIMPLY ADD A MOD! ALL MODS (see all image gifs below) WILL WORK, AND IS PLAYABLE & BUILDABLE RIGHT AWAY (on CnCnet only) after you save map in final sun!! ENJOY!!
      IMPORTANT:   
       The buildings and units in this topic are uploaded on CnCnet only! You can share maps with these mods and play this online on CnCnet. How? because they are uploaded on cncnet, if you want to use them on a different client, you can find them inside the mix and ini folders, (or click here to download them) You can Simply download ALL the mod files here: MODS v1.3.rar , insert the INI files (mods) in FInal sun, how? by looking at the first GIF in this message, and forget about the rest. But if you're new to modding, or interested in how and what, read on. Notes: 
      This topic is devided in: Buildings/units/weapons; Multiple tutorials; insertable mods that activates all kinds of triggers; and all kinds of enabling other stuff. All in INI files. For this topic I'm using more then just the main topic message. I did not make any of these images and animations, they're a collection of fan art, publicly released on ppmforums.com.  Some of the mods can also be used for any TS client, they will be marked with: (Works on every TS) A quick Modding Tutorial:
      Normally, modding is done with the use of wordpad, or with Notepad++ (recommended), but in this tutorial we keep things simple and stay in Final Sun
      How to ADD the mods using Final Sun
      Open Final sun and make or load a map
      Make sure Beginners Mode is disabled. Click Option > Beginner mode.
      Now you go to Edit > INI Editing. 
      You can Insert your desired mod simply by clicking "Insert another INI file content"
      In this Gif i inserted the Big Sam, see below under Buildings
      How to EDIT mods using Final Sun
      First off, a little explanation on How to edit WHEN you can build it, WHO can build it, IF you can build it, and its primary weapon.
      For tutorial purposes, we are only concerned here with these 4 lines: Owner=, TechLevel=, Prerequisite= and Primary=
      Owner=Nod                              Makes only Nod be able to build, use =Nod,GDI for both factions 
      TechLevel=-1                           Minus one (-1) makes this UNable to build, any Tech Level you set here will ofcourse, decide with wich TechLevel you can play this with.
      Prerequisite=GACNST            GACNST is the building code for Construction yard. You can do up to three building for example: =PROC,NARADR,NATECH
      Primary=LaserFire2                This gives any building or unit Nod's Laser weapon. Again, look in rules.ini to see who uses which 'Primary=' (weapon)
      To know all building codes, you can look inside rules.ini (Download rules.ini  or see in this page) (and use 'find function' with 'ctrl+f)

You can Also Click Add, type in an existing tag from rules.ini, like GAGATE_B (gdi gate), find GAGATE_B in the dropdown menu, under keys: press 'Add', type a value like TechLevel=-1 and pres Ok.

To make the prerequisite codes easier for you now, here are some of the most common buildingcodes used for prerequisite:
      PROC,GASILO (Tiberium refinery, Tiberium Silo)
      NAPOWR,NARADR,NAHPAD,NAWEAP,NATECH,NATMPL  (NOD'S: Powerplant, Radar, Helipad, War factory, Tech center, Temple) 
      GAPOWR,GARADR,NAHPAD,GAWEAP,GATECH,GAPLUG  (GDI's: Powerplant, Radar, Helipad, War factory, Tech center, Uplink center)
      GACNST,BARRACKS,FACTORY,HELIPAD,TECH (Both faction's: Barracks, War factory, Helipad, tech center)
      All little tutorials are in the 4th comments of this topic
      Some more modding tutorials are found here:
      Adding a new unit: https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=518
      Editing weapons: https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=28056
      My own tutorial on modding: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/6277-brand-new-tutorial-for-new-map-makers-create-your-own-mods/
      Some mapping tutorials:
      Triggers, taskforces, teams, and scripts (***) https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=33824
      Tunnel Tutorial https://ppmforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=44324
      LucasSK's Complete Final Sun Tutorial: https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/9934-finalsun-complete-tutorial/

I have not made a gif and ini for each of the fan made uploaded units and buildings, see all of them here:
      ]https://forums.cncnet.org/topic/8661-ts-the-new-units-and-buildings-expand11/

(Click to view full image)
      Here we go:
      VEHICLES 
      (Download vehicle pack: All Vehicles.rar or download individual link)
      Big Ion Tank
       Big Ion tank.ini
      LKO's Scorpion
      Scorpion.ini
      LKO's Mechs (just a few of them for now)

Small double canon mech exciter.iniSmall Laser mech Kesselbrut.iniSmall sniper mech Umgi bolver.iniSmall yellow laser mech blackhawk.iniSpalters peewee gun n double laser gun.iniBig Mech Thor.iniBig Mechs DAISHIG and DAISHIN.iniCOLOG deployable heavy artillery nukes.iniFatboy.ini
      Tarantula
       Tarantula.ini
      Redeployable Oblisk
      redeployable oblisk.ini
      Predator Tank
       Predator tank.ini

Mongoos Mech
       Mongoosmech.iniMongoosmechdualproton.ini
      Heavy Assault Mech
       Heavy assault mech canon.ini
      Tripod
      Sleeping Tripod.ini

• By wickershamg
      My cousins and I always played RA2 online. However, two of them have been banned despite never saying anything in the global chat, and despite filing appeals, have yet to have their bans lifted. We tried using Hamachi and playing a LAN, but couldn't see each other or our games in the LAN lobby.
      Are there any solutions? This has been a very frustrating experience. 
    • By jesterrescue1
      I was trying to be careful and the map worked in its early versions. The version have now is causing myself and other players to desync about 5 minutes into the game with this custom map. The map is kinda fun and different. Tried to take inspiration from starcrafts style. Its not too radical. But
      I think my questions are what makes the red alert 1 (include aftermath) dsync online? Consider its custom map, unit alterations, image changes. Worse case scenario I'll release it as a single player skirmish map. I make use of the spawn file that holds images of c&c dawn units. The RAedit adds triggers. I tried deactivating the triggers and teams hopping that was the mighty fix. Well didn't seem to do it. 
    • By FunkyFr3sh
      We removed the macOS downloads since Apple dropped support for 32-bit applications in their latest version of macOS (10.15 Catalina).
      Downloads might be added again at a later point once there is a solution for supporting the new macOS Catalina.

If you're running a older version of macOS you can still try to install the games (C&C / Red Alert / Tiberian Sun) manually:

Step 1: Install wine-stable https://wiki.winehq.org/MacOS
      Step 2: Download the following script, right-click and select Open https://downloads.cncnet.org/cncnet.command.zip

If you're running the new macOS Catalina 10.15:

Use bootcamp: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201468