Mosh Pit (2-4)

eliteGi

This can be played 2v2 (left vs right or north vs south, depending on what pace of game is preferred) or even FFA....

The map has several pathing choices so there are different ways you can split your opponent during battle.

1091802029_MoshPit.thumb.jpg.3d3006096b8821aaef2454b5b091534b.jpg

EDIT: I have modified the tree placement to make path choices more clear-cut and more open for battles.

Also changes lighting properties so should look smoother now. Enjoy!

mosh pit.map

Edited by eliteGi
  • Like 2

Not sure, it looks fine in my FA2 (although I think my FA2 may be dodgy). Looks fine in game though :)

Edit: Did I overdo it with the trees? I tried removing them but I honestly like the character of the map with them in, it blends the terrain height differences well and feels more natural, but not sure if they'll make tank battles too difficult. A lot of them are placed in positions to make choke points.

Edited by eliteGi

18 minutes ago, McPwny said:

the trees are fine but i think it would benefit from some more lighting detailing, also i remember seeing a LAT tile error on one of the cliff ramps, though all in all its quite nice.

I'm all for lighting detailing but I was under the impression it was better to keep it simple in that respect if it's to be used for online or competitive play ?

Just looked for that sumbitch LAT tile on my FA2. I found 2 little ones that would be barely noticeable in game - but 2 errors nonetheless. Found 1 to the right of the bottom oil derrick in centre and one to the left of the top centre derrick. I'll wait to see if there's any other feedback and I can reupload :)

Edited by eliteGi

3 hours ago, eliteGi said:

Edit: Did I overdo it with the trees? I tried removing them but I honestly like the character of the map with them in, it blends the terrain height differences

Yes you did, edit map lighting and set level to 16000 it will blend the terrain height differences better.

3 hours ago, eliteGi said:

not sure if they'll make tank battles too difficult. A lot of them are placed in positions to make choke points.

Reduce battle area tree count while keeping choke point areas. With good tree positioning you can still keep the look of the map. 
Great job on the cliffs and layout. :)

1 hour ago, eliteGi said:

I'm all for lighting detailing but I was under the impression it was better to keep it simple in that respect if it's to be used for online or competitive play

I like to use yellow invisible lamps behind ore mines on ore fields, purple lamps on gem fields and just invisible light posts hidden inside tech buildings.
Using custom values to make the light really subtle and emulate a slight 'bloom' effect.

Try them out and copy this into your map file, after opening it in notepad.
Insert it after the header section and tweak the Tint values  in .1 increments per your preference, but keep in mind that less is more and high values look 'pixellated' by causing ugly per lat brightness variations.

[INGALITE]
LightRedTint=0.1
LightBlueTint=0.1
LightGreenTint=0.1
LightIntensity=0.02
LightVisibility=2000

[INPURPLAMP]
LightRedTint=0.1
LightBlueTint=0.1
LightGreenTint=0.01
LightIntensity=0.02
LightVisibility=2000

[INYELWLAMP]
LightRedTint=0.1
LightBlueTint=0.01
LightGreenTint=0.1
LightIntensity=0.02
LightVisibility=2000

Render with map renderer to see results and tweak till you're happy.
Note that map global lighting colour and values affect the gradient of the lighting as well.

Edit: just noticed you're not deleting one cell of ore behind the ore mine, which is important, because ore can get stuck there and causes harvesters to return to the ore mine while it's otherwise empty.

Edited by FReQuEnZy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the feedback! I've changed most of the trees, I think it still looks natural but it's far clearer in the middle for tank movement! Lighting is a good point, my thought process was I like how lower points look darker with the level numbers but I'll achieve that with negative light posts instead as it'll look more natural.

Appreciated :D

Just use the above lighting tweaks to make the negative light posts smoother, the default ones look horrible and keep in mind that they have the largest impact on performance.

If I recall correctly, deploying Desolators near negative light posts causes hella lot of lag.

Edited by FReQuEnZy