C&C: Cold War

Yes. Say you want to make the [3TNK] into the T-72. First get the conquer.eng out the EXPAND2.mix. Edit the Heavy Tank to say T-72. Now save and pack conquer.eng in local.mix, EXPAND.mix and EXPAND2.mix. Since normal RA1 will delete the conquer.eng.

If your using RA1 3.03 by Nyerguds you can leave the conquer.eng in the RedAlert folder with the rules.ini and not pack it in to the mixes since Nyerguds modded RA1 to not delete it on startup. conquer.eng can stay there and the game can read it just like the rules.ini

Since the [3TNK] is becoming the T-72. Now take your T-72.shp you made and name it 3TNK.shp Now pack it conquer.mix

If you don't have a T-72 icon get my Icon pack http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1685.0

Now rename the T-72icon.shp to 3TNKICON.shp. Pack 3TNKICON.shp into HIRES.mix

If done right the Heavy Tank will be gone! It will now be the T-72 when you hold you mouse over it and the the sidebar icon and on map unit will be changed.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sweet, that sounds much like what I was doing, I just need to put the icons on, thanks man. Hopefully I'll have a beta ready soon so you can try it out and have a look as to what I was talking about.

I warn you, it's very different to RA... but cool, IF you understand how to play... and the computer doesn't :D

Oh, that's cool, I'll look into that.

Hey, I'm having an issue, I can't fine Hires.mix Although, I have hires1.mix...

Pretty strange (considering it must be finding the pictures somewhere), where is it usually located?

Actually, playing the computer isn't that bad, but they can't really every actually finish you off. They're just not coordinated enough to stop men waking into inf killing things while they use other units to kill those things etc.

I felt like the BMP-1 was a better idea, as it was using tracks.

I'm using both the M2 and the BMP, but they're IFVs. I'm also using trucks... so that's all the transports used up.

Currently, all the units are in the game, they just need to be activated and get the cameos in. (and balanced, which is what I'm working on now).

Balance is actually coming along really well.

Remeber, the Bradley has a chaingun, so it's an advanced inf fighting weapon. Anyway, I'm going to balance it so you can deal with things like this.

I've already made blockade infantry, so if you drive any vehicles up close they die pretty fast... no more rushing over infantry,you have to shoot them first.

Point is, while you stop to do that, you're susceptible to dragon infantry.

The only things men wont REALLY be able to do it take on base defenses, but the regular men are packed with C4, so they're pretty scarey if you have NOTHING to defend with.

More importantly than balance right now, is that when I put all my conquer.eng into the 3 mix files, local, expand, expand2... the game is changing everything back on startup.

This is weird, becuase I actually changed everything once, now I just needed to touch up what I had edited, but it wont let me. Do you know why it's doing this? where it's still saving the old info and putting that into the game instead of my edited stuff?

Yeah, I found that, I am editing the words. I even saved a copy of the file, so when I open it back up it's still what I changed it to. But the file that I put into the MIX files gets changed back O.O

I'll try once more, it is damn strange, balance is coming along well though :D Just up to tanks and IFVs now... however, I suspect the comp wont build the bio, so I may have to find an online tester.

Any takers? :P

Use XCC MIX Editor. Hit Open and open expand2.mix. Now hit Insert. Now find and open the conquer.eng you edited. The conquer.eng you added shoud be at the bottom of the mix. If it is there hit Compact. It will now be save in the mix as long as it don't say "compact mix: failed" at the bottom of XCC MIX Editor.

If it dose say "compact mix: failed" close any open XCC Mixer programs or make sure the open XCC Mixer is not reading that mix file. If XCC Mixer is reading the mix file your trying to save it won't work.

• 2 weeks later...

You can't change the way units/buildings appear.

That was the year and half question for me. With your mod you can't play normal RA1 can you? You need to have a custom game.exe like Red Dawn has so your mod will not replace RA1.

I can do all the hex editing so you can have a custom game.exe and make the installer. The installer was made with Inno Setup 5 and InnoIDE.

With your mod what mixes and inis are you using? I know your using conquer.mix and rules.ini but what are the others are you using.

The basic Hex editing is not too hard but you need to get a new icon added and making the instller is the hard part. Nyerguds told me how to do it by editing the source for the 3.03 installer.

You need to get all balancing done before trying to get the Hex editing done. You will have to make 2 game.exe one for CD RA-1 and one for TFD RA-1. Both will have to be Hex edited to work.

I also uploaded the Hosptal and Bio Lab Icons in the Icons for whiteshoes units thread.

• 2 years later...

Sniper:

speed: slow

Sight: long

Armour: 0

Health: one shot kill from anything, except pistol (2 or 3)

Weapon: long range version of the regular gun, long reload time, more range (but not extra sight)

Price: cheap

Tech: barracks + hospital

SHP: edited Minigunner (TD) (longer gun perhaps)

Used for: sight, killing commandos and anti armour/anti air inf (so other units to move in untouched)

See http://content.open-ra.org/index.php?p=detail&table=units&id=51 for an existing sprite.