Six new maps! [YR]

Tkragon

Favorite map out of the pack  

7 members have voted

1. 1. What map looks/plays the best out of the bunch?

• Where the Corn Grows ( 2-6 )
    • What Lurks in the Water (2)
    • Urban Flower - Extra small (2-4)
    • Troll Vest - Extra Small (2-8) 
    • Land of Ice - Extra small ( 2- 8 )
    • Farlake (2)

After making my first map last week I found it fun to make maps. So here are another six I've made since! I don't plan to change these maps much anymore, but any constructive criticism is welcomed and might be used in future maps. 

Each map contains a Easter Egg. A Cowboy named "Tkragon". That's a signature of sorts I decided to use on my maps ;) 

Download link - Tkragon map pack.rar

1. Where the Corn Grows (2-6)

A primarily 3v3 map. The map is divided into three parts. Teams start on the far left and far right. Each starting position has a Tech Oil Derrick nearby. There are 6 Tech Buildings in the middle part of the map ( 2x Tech Power Plant, 2x Tech Airport,2x Tech Machine Shop ). Each tech building is relatively close to one of the starting positions and has a gem patch next to it. The town in the middle has a large gem patch so seizing control of the town is recommended if the game goes long. Reinforcement ready!

1155680247_Wherethecorngrows0.7-small.thumb.jpg.98c54fecba7fedf72bbf2caacfb280a4.jpg

2. What Lurks in the Water (2)

A 1v1 map. Each player starts on his own small island with some gems, ore and an Oil Derrick. The resources on the starting island are low, so the players need to expand their reach beyond the starting island. There are numerous small islands on the map and one larger that contains a gem patch and two small ore patches. This island is a hot zone due to it's resources and each player needs to expand here as soon as possible to keep their economy going. Each players also has three additional Oil Derricks on his side of the map. These oils are bit away from the starting & main island so they are exposed to air and naval attacks and need to be defended! Hush! They may be near!

184972325_WhatLurksinTheWater0.8-smaller.thumb.jpg.3637556e8c81fa641eb372c7a54dd9b9.jpg

3. Urban Flower - Extra small (2-4)

This is an Extra small, but not really that small map! It can be played by up to 4 players.  It's a what you see, is what you get kind of map. Meaning there are no modifications. No money from power plants or refineries. The only source of credits are the ore & gem patches and the Oil Derrics. The resources are quite limited so the players need to fight for the gems and build their bases & units carefully or they'll ran out of money quickly. Ore processors working!

1469111678_UrbanFlower-ExtraSmall-small.thumb.jpg.60b3a786b8cc1ac619edf3ca9f7d1459.jpg

4. Troll Vest - Extra Small (2-8) 

Another Extra small map, that isn't really that small. This map can be played 2-8 players, but it's preferred that all eight starting positions are filled. Every starting position has two Tech Derricks that provide credits ( slightly faster/slightly more than a normal Oil Derrick ). These should be protected at all costs as they're the only resource provider on the map. If there aren't 8 players on the map, the control of the "un-owned" Oil Derricks is crucial. The map is named after an oil field in Norway, for those who are wondering what's up with the trolls and their vests. I found the name funny so I used it. I've got the knowledge!

768227401_TrollVest-ExtraSmall.thumb.jpg.ce959ee1b6c7e7122fb67b0c895d9751.jpg

5. Land of Ice - Extra small (2- 8)

Last of the extra small maps in this map pack. This one is truly small unlike the other two. Money is provided by your Construction yard, so protect it even more than you normally would. You only have one Construction yard and you cannot build another MCV ( you can only get extra ones from crates if they're turned on ). Because of the importance of the Construction Yard on this map it has 3x times the HP & it cannot be captured by Engineers or Mind Controled by Yuri Prime. It also provides an extra 100 units of power. Ready for deployment!

1451773589_LandofIce-ExtraSmall0.9.thumb.jpg.31f39d63319e0cc9d8a8d007d6bc54f9.jpg

6. Farlake (2)

Farlake is a rather large map for a 1v1 but it provides multiple ways to defeat your opponent. Starting points are positioned at the top and the bottom. On the left side of the map each player has an Oil Derrick that is close to a canyon filled with gems. This canyon can become a true war-zone when players fight over the riches inside. Just be careful how you build inside the canyon or your units might get stuck or take some unfortunate way to get to and from the gem field. To the right of the canyon there's a sneaky path next to the lake, going from one base to another. The lake provides the opportunity for some naval warfare and can give the player a decent advantage if he's willing to spend the credits for navy. To the right of the lake we have a large harbor with a small town next to it. The harbor has gems in the middle to be fought over. The buildings makes it easier to defend your miners, or it can make it difficult for the other player to access the gems. Good luck commander! 

617939975_Farlake0.7.thumb.jpg.1c535cd3f1c1a0ccf051c7b147286ff0.jpg

• Upvote 2

I like the first one the most and the last one "Farlake" has potential, but there are too many gems, too little ore and all the garrisons seem to be squeezed on the bottom half of the map.

Pro tip, use different cliff tiles to make cliffs the same repeating tile makes the map look like it's full of graphical errors.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Agree with Ravage's remarks. 

I'm not an extra-small map person so those are irrelevant to me, but looking at the last map I was very interested in it but does seem to have problems with too many gems and not enough home-base ore. It almost has a little big lake feel to it (and that's a good thing).

The second map is also interesting to me.

35 minutes ago, RaVaGe said:

Once the map is good enough, I will and more others will too.
Quality over quantity.

Quality over quantity, but quantity brings practice and practice brings quality ;) 

That being said your sentiment is noted! ;)

On 1/16/2019 at 5:39 PM, XXxPrePxX said:

but looking at the last map I was very interested in it but does seem to have problems with too many gems and not enough home-base ore.

On 1/16/2019 at 5:28 PM, RaVaGe said:

"Farlake" has potential, but there are too many gems, too little ore and all the garrisons seem to be squeezed on the bottom half of the map.

Since this map proved to be quite popular ( here and other places ) and got the most constructive criticism I decided to try and make it better.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on the changes.  Changes: More ore ( almost 2x more), less gems ( almost cut in half ), removed 6 garrisons ( 4 at the bottom, 2 at the top ), changed some cliffs to give it a more natural feel, but I couldn't change much without destroying whole sections of the map. Either it can't be done any other way or my skill isn't quite there yet. Will upload map when there are no more suggestions :)

1679702967_(2)Farlakev1.1.thumb.jpg.7c0b654260d89df90123e1859f8ce146.jpg

Edited by Tkragon
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tkragon said:

Since this map proved to be quite popular ( here and other places ) and got the most constructive criticism I decided to try and make it better.  I'd like to hear your thoughts on the changes.  Changes: More ore ( almost 2x more), less gems ( almost cut in half ), removed 6 garrisons ( 4 at the bottom, 2 at the top ), changed some cliffs to give it a more natural feel, but I couldn't change much without destroying whole sections of the map. Either it can't be done any other way or my skill isn't quite there yet. Will upload map when there are no more suggestions :)

I like it and i think it is a map that could potentially be added toquick match (ranking system). It has a unique feel to it and seems balanced.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, XXxPrePxX said:

I like it and i think it is a map that could potentially be added toquick match (ranking system). It has a unique feel to it and seems balanced.

That would be awesome! Glad to you like! 

If there are any more changes needed, just let me know. 

Download link farlake (2) v1.1 [tkragon].map

Edited by Tkragon
Changed map link

On 1/18/2019 at 6:50 AM, Tkragon said:

Looks pretty good, this could definitely be a QM map but here's what I'd like to see:

• Add gems to the outside of the left side so you can put your first ref on the derrick and get the gems, don't add to the middle but spread out the gems

• Add tech hospital to the top right of the map for top side to get those gems

• Add tech airport to bottom right of the screen, add gems near it (slightly less gems than top right)

• Put two entrances to the bottom right cliff for both sides to get up there

• Left side of the maps terrain could look better

Here's a map for clarification
Legend:
Pink boxes = gems should be here.
Blue boxes = Tech

map.jpg.d8f8bd68172dfc16f87b2950d6fc997e.jpg

Also perhaps an island in the middle of the map mainly for looks.

Edited by Andy.

3 hours ago, Andy. said:

Looks pretty good, this could definitely be a QM map but here's what I'd like to see:

• Add gems to the outside of the left side so you can put your first ref on the derrick and get the gems, don't add to the middle but spread out the gems

I like this idea. Spreading out the existing gems on the left.

• Add tech hospital to the top right of the map for top side to get those gems

• Add tech airport to bottom right of the screen, add gems near it (slightly less gems than top right)

• Put two entrances to the bottom right cliff for both sides to get up there

This kind of goes against what I wanted to achieve with that gem patch on the right. I didn't want it to be easily accessible for either team and I wanted teams to fight for that patch. Also the positioning of the new tech buildings you suggested doesn't really work in terms of balancing IMHO. Since the top would get their base closer to the middle and would by default have an easier time controlling said middle. 

Left side of the maps terrain could look better

What did you mean by that? All the props or the cliffs or something else? 

Also perhaps an island in the middle of the map mainly for looks.

I kind of like that!

All that being said thanks for your suggestions and I have no problems implementing them if more people agree!

12 hours ago, Tkragon said:

This kind of goes against what I wanted to achieve with that gem patch on the right. I didn't want it to be easily accessible for either team and I wanted teams to fight for that patch. Also the positioning of the new tech buildings you suggested doesn't really work in terms of balancing IMHO. Since the top would get their base closer to the middle and would by default have an easier time controlling said middle. 

I was just thinking from a competitive balance perspective, as it stands only the topside will be able to get those gems.

12 hours ago, Tkragon said:

What did you mean by that? All the props or the cliffs or something else? 

This is just my opinion, I think the floor looks a little off, needs some ground 1 and more mixed textures not just sand.

12 hours ago, Andy. said:

I was just thinking from a competitive balance perspective, as it stands only the topside will be able to get those gems.

Why is that? Bottom is a bit closer ( marginally closer ) to the gems than top? You mean Top can more easily build towards gems? That can be easily solved by moving the MCV. There's a wide open space right to the gems. Someone did that in the testing phase of the map.

12 hours ago, Andy. said:

This is just my opinion, I think the floor looks a little off, needs some ground 1 and more mixed textures not just sand.

I'll take a look what can be done, if I'm convinced other changes are need too :)

17 hours ago, Tkragon said:

Why is that? Bottom is a bit closer ( marginally closer ) to the gems than top? You mean Top can more easily build towards gems? That can be easily solved by moving the MCV. There's a wide open space right to the gems. Someone did that in the testing phase of the map.

Top has an easy move next to the refinery building thing and simply put a ref there, I never played this map but it looks like it would be alot easier to play top here, if you just added gems near the bottom side then it wouldn't be a fight for the gems (which would favor top imo) but I guess testing would prove if I'm wrong or right here.