TD - icCup Crossroads (4)

recoil56

My first map! :)

Number of Players: 4

Patch notes (version 1.1)

- Fixed an issue where bottom left and top left had 2-block chokes instead of 3. The map is uneven now because of this (observe the length of the cliff trailing off screen and you'll know what I'm talking about), however, I feel it is more aesthetically pleasing in this instance and chances are that slight imbalance will never come into play.

-Fixed the center-left treeline. It should now be impossible for units to get through there.

I was in the mood for making maps again :). The inspiration for this map comes from SC2. The term, "natural" never really existed in the C&C world, but it is essentially your second base. Since MCV's cost so much, most players just expand with their buildings. However, I like the concept of having a "ramp" and a "easily holdable expansion". This map tries to embody both of those. Normally, most C&C maps are wide open and there is no real "safe area" to build, leaving many games to be rush or timing attack oriented. If you've been looking for a safe map to practice macro builds on, this might be the one :)

Features:

• two block wide main ramp
    4-block wide natural ramp
    double-thick ridge starting cliff - keeps opponents on their toes (very hard to scout bases early game)
    almost complete mirror of map in all 4 quadrants (tried the best I could here)
    short attack by air distance (in close positions). Increases the likelihood of air-based builds

Name?

The icCup is one of many famous SC:BW tournaments. It is well-known for it's famous map-pool, and many of these maps are the standards today (they all start with the -icCup prefix). I added it because It makes me feel like a BOSS and because it looks cool (tournament ready, ya know?)

"Crossroads" came from the idea to make the middle one big intersection (I was looking at different road pieces I could use, and the idea popped into my head :) )

Hope you enjoy!

Picture and file(s)attached. Version 1.1 is now attached.

scm156eav1_1.zip

scm156ea.jpg.8111509e1b4ffb88966e960ce14cdcad.jpg

Update: Whoops, seems like certain positions have different sized-chokes. Top right and bottom right are 3 instead of 2. That cliff piece is actually very misleading - you can make buildings on the edge of the cliff and walk over it. I actually have been considering a 3-space choke, but I'm still unsure about that..

Also, the left-center group of trees does not actually block movement. This is supposed to block movement, so I think I have to add one more.

I'll update the map maybe tomorrow or today if I get the time. If you find anything else let me know :) .

Update: Whoops, seems like certain positions have different sized-chokes. Top right and bottom right are 3 instead of 2. That cliff piece is actually very misleading - you can make buildings on the edge of the cliff and walk over it. I actually have been considering a 3-space choke, but I'm still unsure about that..

Also, the left-center group of trees does not actually block movement. This is supposed to block movement, so I think I have to add one more.

I'll update the map maybe tomorrow or today if I get the time. If you find anything else let me know :) .

No need to consider it, just do it. I see no reason to force the player to expand via silos or sandbags, when you can just make the main ramp one cell wider, thus making room for 3x2 sized structures.

I remember this map. ;)

Great map recoil56!

If I made a map pack including all of the the decent maps into one map pack, would I be able to include your map?

You remember it? That's funny because I never made maps before this. If icCup actually had a map named crossroads, that is just a very rare coincidence. I am too young for the BW scene.

You could definitely include my map :) . Although, I would definitely like this map to get some play from some of the regulars here before I get the ok. It would be a shame if I let you add this map and someone finds a glitch or if I feel, weeks later, that something should be different. Thanks for the praise dude. I definitely gotta make a couple more, seeing as the feedback here has been very positive.

I swear I've seen this map before, not necessarily on Brood War though. Great map overall anyway.

If you update it, I can easily update the map pack and use updated map files that you can give me or something. Wouldn't be that hard. :P

yo godly thanks for playtesting the map with me. One thing i would like to keep in mind with this map:

Try to play with just 2 or no starting units. Otherwise your medium tank will get stuck on top left position.

In our 1v1 session, i noticed the huge advantage the the middle gives you. In future maps i will try to rule this out. The losing player has a very hard time securing another position.

Godly go ahead and add the map if you want btw. If you have any ideas for fixes, I'm all ears.

btw:

My upcoming map will be a 1v1. It might be out soon!