The Art of War translated to C&C gameplay

Holland

Little quotes picked out from Sun Tzu out of the ancient book 'The art of war', that could be related to C&C games. Eventho most of it is based on real war fare, we can filter out some of the wisdom to use for gaming. So we have to translate them. Tho there is so much great stuff that blows my mind, for example the quote “The rising of birds in their flight is the sign of an ambuscade. Startled beasts indicate that a sudden attack is coming.” In the game theres nothing like that, but it does bring me ideas to make maps perhaps with fog of war or areas being unrevealed or unscouted, to put creatures there with a script to walk toward enemy when its confronted. Its pretty cool. Also what could be done is Birds flying over your base as an indicator that many man are attacking (using certain trigger actions..) but thats a different story. Please enjoy these quotes, add, comment, and please quote and translate!

In the practical art of war, the best thing of all is to take the enemy's country whole and intact; to shatter and destroy it is not so good. So, too, it is better to recapture an army entire than to destroy it, to capture a regiment, a detachment or a company entire than to destroy them.

Holland: Ofcourse in our game this might not be the best considering the cost of engineers and such

Hence to fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Thus the highest form of generalship is to balk the enemy's plans; #

the next best is to prevent the junction of the enemy's forces; #

the next in order is to attack the enemy's army in the field; #

and the worst policy of all is to besiege walled cities. # The rule is, not to besiege walled cities if it can possibly be avoided.

The general, unable to control his irritation, will launch his men to the assault like swarming ants,

with the result that one-third of his men are slain, while the town still remains untaken. Such are the disastrous effects of a siege. Therefore the skillful leader subdues the enemy's troops without any fighting; he captures their cities without laying siege to them; he overthrows their kingdom without lengthy operations in the field.

With his forces intact he will dispute the mastery of the Empire, and thus, without losing a man, his triumph will be complete

It is the rule in war, if our forces are ten to the enemy's one, to surround him; if five to one, to attack him;

if twice as numerous, to divide our army into two.

If equally matched, we can offer battle

if slightly inferior in numbers, we can avoid the enemy

if quite unequal in every way, we can flee from him.

Hence, though an obstinate fight may be made by a small force, in the end it must be captured by the larger force.

Holland: This reminds me of early on infantry attacks, pretty useful info

Thus we may know that there are five essentials for victory:

(1) He will win who knows when to fight and when not to fight. #

(2) He will win who knows how to handle both superior and inferior forces. #

(3) He will win whose army is animated by the same spirit throughout all its ranks. (4) He will win who, prepared himself, waits to take the enemy unprepared. (5) He will win who has military capacity and is not interfered with by the sovereign. #

Hence the saying: If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. #

If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle. #

Holland: Of course skill play a big part here, but these are still great quotes

----------------

The good fighters of old first put themselves beyond the possibility of defeat, and then waited for an opportunity of defeating the enemy.

Holland: I'm thinking here of an mk2 that waits and strikes untill there's the right opportunity

To secure ourselves against defeat lies in our own hands, but the opportunity of defeating the enemy is provided by the enemy himself. #

That is, of course, by a mistake on the enemy's part.

Thus the good fighter is able to secure himself against defeat, #

but cannot make certain of defeating the enemy. #

Hence the saying: One may KNOW how to conquer without being able to DO it.

Security against defeat implies defensive tactics; ability to defeat the enemy means taking the offensive.

Standing on the defensive indicates insufficient strength; attacking, a superabundance of strength.

The general who is skilled in defense hides in the most secret recesses of the earth; #

Literally, "hides under the ninth earth," which is a metaphor indicating the utmost secrecy and concealment, so that the enemy may not know his whereabouts."

he who is skilled in attack flashes forth from the topmost heights of heaven. #

Another metaphor, implying that he falls on his adversary like a thunderbolt, against which there is no time to prepare. This is the opinion of most of the commentators.

Thus on the one hand we have ability to protect ourselves; on the other, a victory that is complete. #

Holland: not sure what can be translated to good use from this, i guess knowing the map is what can be recommend here, before game make sure you study the map

Making no mistakes is what establishes the certainty of victory, for it means conquering an enemy that is already defeated.

Hence the skillful fighter puts himself into a position which makes defeat impossible, and does not miss the moment for defeating the enemy

Thus it is that in war the victorious strategist only seeks battle after the victory has been won, whereas he who is destined to defeat first fights and afterwards looks for victory

In respect of military method, we have, firstly, Measurement; secondly, Estimation of quantity; thirdly, Calculation; fourthly, Balancing of chances; fifthly, Victory.

Measurement owes its existence to Earth; Estimation of quantity to Measurement; Calculation to Estimation of quantity; Balancing of chances to Calculation; and Victory to Balancing of chances

Holland: Good stuff

Sun Tzu said: The control of a large force is the same principle as the control of a few men: it is merely a question of dividing up their numbers.

Fighting with a large army under your command is nowise different from fighting with a small one: it is merely a question of instituting signs and signals

To ensure that your whole host may withstand the brunt of the enemy's attack and remain unshaken—this is effected by maneuvers direct and indirect.

In all fighting, the direct method may be used for joining battle, but indirect methods will be needed in order to secure victory. #

Chang Yu says: "Steadily develop indirect tactics, either by pounding the enemy's flanks or falling on his rear." A brilliant example of "indirect tactics" which decided the fortunes of a campaign was Lord Roberts' night march round the Peiwar Kotal in the second Afghan war.[1="Forty-one Years in India," chapter 46.]

Holland: This means ofcourse, yes join the main battle but the indirect methods, (micro managing multiple attacks with different unit types) will secure victory

Indirect tactics, efficiently applied, are inexhaustible as Heaven and Earth, unending as the flow of rivers and streams; like the sun and moon, they end but to begin anew; like the four seasons, they pass away to return once more. #

Holland: Just admiring the book :P

All armies prefer high ground to low

take high ground and let the enemy try to attack from a lower position.[1] Fighting from an elevated position is said to be easier for a number of tactical reasons

-------------------------------

There are not more than five musical notes, yet the combinations of these five give rise to more melodies than can ever be heard.

There are not more than five primary colors (blue, yellow, red, white, and black), yet in combination they produce more hues than can ever been seen.

There are not more than five cardinal tastes (sour, acrid, salt, sweet, bitter), yet combinations of them yield more flavors than can ever be tasted

In battle, there are not more than two methods of attack: the direct and the indirect; yet these two in combination give rise to an endless series of maneuvers

The direct and the indirect lead on to each other in turn. It is like moving in a circle—you never come to an end. Who can exhaust the possibilities of their combination? #

The onset of troops is like the rush of a torrent which will even roll stones along in its course. #

The quality of decision is like the well-timed swoop of a falcon which enables it to strike and destroy its victim. #

Therefore the good fighter will be terrible in his onset, and prompt in his decision

Holland: This also reminds me of real life habit challenges, gotta go through the difficulties at first. And for in the game, to join or spec Elite games and to get a hang of it is hard at first, but you will gain new skills. Beautifull quote.

Energy may be likened to the bending of a crossbow; decision, to the releasing of a trigger. #

Holland: Deep :P

Amid the turmoil and tumult of battle, there may be seeming disorder and yet no real disorder at all; amid confusion and chaos, your array may be without head or tail, yet it will be proof against defeat. 

Simulated disorder postulates perfect discipline, simulated fear postulates courage; simulated weakness postulates strength.

Hiding order beneath the cloak of disorder is simply a question of subdivision;

concealing courage under a show of timidity presupposes a fund of latent energy;

masking strength with weakness is to be effected by tactical dispositions.

Thus one who is skillful at keeping the enemy on the move maintains deceitful appearances, according to which the enemy will act.

He sacrifices something, that the enemy may snatch at it

By holding out baits, he keeps him on the march; then with a body of picked men he lies in wait for him.

The clever combatant looks to the effect of combined energy, and does not require too much from individuals. #

Tu Mu says: "He first of all considers the power of his army in the bulk; afterwards he takes individual talent into account, and uses each men according to his capabilities. He does not demand perfection from the untalented."

Hence his ability to pick out the right men and utilize combined energy. #

Thus the energy developed by good fighting men is as the momentum of a round stone rolled down a mountain thousands of feet in height. So much on the subject of energy. #

The chief lesson of this chapter, in Tu Mu's opinion, is the paramount importance in war of rapid evolutions and sudden rushes. "Great results," he adds, "can thus be achieved with small forces."

Sun Tzu said: Whoever is first in the field and awaits the coming of the enemy, will be fresh for the fight; whoever is second in the field and has to hasten to battle will arrive exhausted. #

Therefore the clever combatant imposes his will on the enemy, but does not allow the enemy's will to be imposed on him. #

By holding out advantages to him, he can cause the enemy to approach of his own accord; or, by inflicting damage, he can make it impossible for the enemy to draw near. #

If the enemy is taking his ease, he can harass him; #

if well supplied with food, he can starve him out; if quietly encamped, he can force him to move. #

Appear at points which the enemy must hasten to defend; march swiftly to places where you are not expected. #

An army may march great distances without distress, if it marches through country where the enemy is not. #

You can be sure of succeeding in your attacks if you only attack places which are undefended. #

You can ensure the safety of your defense if you only hold positions that cannot be attacked. #

Hence that general is skillful in attack whose opponent does not know what to defend; and he is skillful in defense whose opponent does not know what to attack. #

O divine art of subtlety and secrecy! Through you we learn to be invisible, through you inaudible; #

and hence we can hold the enemy's fate in our hands. #

You may advance and be absolutely irresistible, if you make for the enemy's weak points; you may retire and be safe from pursuit if your movements are more rapid than those of the enemy. #

If we wish to fight, the enemy can be forced to an engagement even though he be sheltered behind a high rampart and a deep ditch. All we need do is attack some other place that he will be obliged to relieve. #

If we do not wish to fight, we can prevent the enemy from engaging us even though the lines of our encampment be merely traced out on the ground. All we need do is to throw something odd and unaccountable in his way. #

By discovering the enemy's dispositions and remaining invisible ourselves, we can keep our forces concentrated, while the enemy's must be divided. #

We can form a single united body, while the enemy must split up into fractions. Hence there will be a whole pitted against separate parts of a whole, which means that we shall be many to the enemy's few. #

And if we are able thus to attack an inferior force with a superior one, our opponents will be in dire straits. #

The spot where we intend to fight must not be made known; for then the enemy will have to prepare against a possible attack at several different points; #

and his forces being thus distributed in many directions, the numbers we shall have to face at any given point will be proportionately few. #

For should the enemy strengthen his van, he will weaken his rear; should he strengthen his rear, he will weaken his van; should he strengthen his left, he will weaken his right; should he strengthen his right, he will weaken his left. If he sends reinforcements everywhere, he will everywhere be weak. #

Numerical weakness comes from having to prepare against possible attacks; numerical strength, from compelling our adversary to make these preparations against us. #

Knowing the place and the time of the coming battle, we may concentrate from the greatest distances in order to fight. #

But if neither time nor place be known, then the left wing will be impotent to succor the right, the right equally impotent to succor the left, the van unable to relieve the rear, or the rear to support the van. How much more so if the furthest portions of the army are anything under a hundred LI apart, and even the nearest are separated by several LI! #

Though according to my estimate the soldiers of Yueh exceed our own in number, that shall advantage them nothing in the matter of victory. I say then that victory can be achieved. #

Though the enemy be stronger in numbers, we may prevent him from fighting. Scheme so as to discover his plans and the likelihood of their success. #

Rouse him, and learn the principle of his activity or inactivity. #

Force him to reveal himself, so as to find out his vulnerable spots. #

Carefully compare the opposing army with your own, so that you may know where strength is superabundant and where it is deficient. #

In making tactical dispositions, the highest pitch you can attain is to conceal them; #

conceal your dispositions, and you will be safe from the prying of the subtlest spies, from the machinations of the wisest brains. #

How victory may be produced for them out of the enemy's own tactics—that is what the multitude cannot comprehend. #

All men can see the tactics whereby I conquer, but what none can see is the strategy out of which victory is evolved. #

Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances. #

Military tactics are like unto water; for water in its natural course runs away from high places and hastens downwards. #

So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong and to strike at what is weak. #

Like water, taking the line of least resistance.

Water shapes its course according to the nature of the ground over which it flows; the soldier works out his victory in relation to the foe whom he is facing. #

Therefore, just as water retains no constant shape, so in warfare there are no constant conditions. #

He who can modify his tactics in relation to his opponent and thereby succeed in winning, may be called a heaven-born captain. #

-------------------

Do not swallow bait offered by the enemy. #

Do not interfere with an army that is returning home

Holland: For example with TS, don't chase a CC that flees, with your ground units.

When you surround an army, leave an outlet free. #

This does not mean that the enemy is to be allowed to escape. The object, as Tu Mu puts it, is "to make him believe that there is a road to safety, and thus prevent his fighting with the courage of despair." Tu Mu adds pleasantly: "After that, you may crush him."

Do not press a desperate foe too hard. #

Ch`en Hao quotes the saying: "Birds and beasts when brought to bay will use their claws and teeth." Chang Yu says: "If your adversary has burned his boats and destroyed his cooking-pots, and is ready to stake all on the issue of a battle, he must not be pushed to extremities."

Holland:  Alright thats it for now i might comment and add the other chapters too when i have more time, i used this websitehttps://suntzusaid.com/book/7  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"My Arnolds are hungry" - Mike Pence, 2020

"Jesus ows me 20 fake sandwiches" - Mike Pence, 2020

"Bugs" - Mike Pence, 2020 

"If - you -see - a - Diss, build an O-be-lisk" Mike Pence, 2020

"Mike, the only bugs there are, are in your head" NME, 2020

"PEACE THROUGH POWER" KANE

"No vet, no win" Tigerr, 2020

"Feeding time" (for Arnolds) NME, 2020

"I only play before Christmas" Dazirelan, 2018 and 2019, now played in may of this year

"Arnolds are op" Fake Mammy, 2020

"Pence you are a b*t*h", 2019 A RA player, after i tanyaed him

"My engineers need beef" Mike Pence in TD 2018, 2019, 2020...

"Tasty" Mike Pence in TD 2018, 2019, 2020

Edited by Hungry Mike
  • Upvote 1

All is fair, in love and war - a proverb attributed to John Lyly's Euphues

History is written by the victors - Winston Churchill

What is history, but a fable agreed upon? - Napoleon

P*ck off XeM - Many of my opponents, no matter if they win or loose :D

GG X3M - If the streamer doesn't want to loose face in front of their public

O god no!! Not X3M again! - If my "5k subscribers" opponent once again catches me in his stream

Come and drink some beer - Dad :)

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/29/2020 at 11:33 AM, Holland said:

Holland: Just admiring the book :P

That is a great book, I have read it twice in my life.

Do not repeat the tactics which have gained you one victory, but let your methods be regulated by the infinite variety of circumstances

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

New shit talk phrases:
"Ez cake" - Me and Dgt, 2020

"Ts is full of morons" - Mola, after he lost with Dgt again (lol)

"Noob poops" - Computer, 2020, refering to some giants players

"A big fat moron farm" - Mike Pence, 2019, refering to some giants players

"You suck socks" - NME, 2020

"Put that cookie down" - Arnold, NME, Mike Pence, MammySY

"Pence just jews me, he uses jewish tactits like stealths" - MammySY 2020

"i call it Tiberian Retards its dangerous to much with them you might end up becoming one of them look at daz", NME 2020

"Get good" - John 2018, 2019, 2020