auto ally based on position - map

Mi8

Hi 

Is it possible when the host select auto ally based on position,   the map updates automatically the positions with the teams groups such as A, B , C (without the names of the players of course)

Edited by Mi8
clarity

On 2/21/2022 at 2:00 PM, Mi8 said:

Hi 

Is it possible when the host select auto ally based on position,   the map updates automatically the positions with the teams groups such as A, B , C (without the names of the players of course)

Not yet, but hopefully in a future update. It's definitely something on my radar.

• 1 month later...

If I could please add something to this... when the host selects auto-ally, could you make it so that all the "Team" boxes change from just plain hyphens to "Auto" in order to help clear up all-to-frequent confusion? Also, perhaps add to the message that appears, something such as "Host has enabled Auto-Ally--teams will be set automatically".

• Upvote 1

I suggest showing which teams will be on which spots in the preview map, so that all players would know, not just the host.
1 [A] 2 [A] 3 [B] 4 [B]... etc.
Especially that some maps can be played either 2 teams or 4 teams.

Edited by Sam-I-am

On 4/7/2022 at 6:32 PM, Sam-I-am said:

I suggest showing which teams will be on which spots in the preview map, so that all players would know, not just the host.
1 [A] 2 [A] 3 [B] 4 [B]... etc.
Especially that some maps can be played either 2 teams or 4 teams.

This is a planned feature, but not yet started. The host will be able to select the auto ally teams directly on the map positions as well, rather than having to go into the drop downs.

Also, any player in the lobby has the ability to go into the auto ally player options area to see what the teams are set as.

• Thanks 1

On 2/23/2022 at 10:52 AM, Devo1929 said:

Not yet, but hopefully in a future update. It's definitely something on my radar.

Should store auto ally pre-sets in mpmaps.ini 

Perhaps something like...
[mapsection]
AutoAllyLvR=1A,2B,3A,4B
AutoAllyTvB=1A,2A,3B,4B

Where you get the info as a string and disassemble it for the logic.

• 2 weeks later...

A couple things I'd like to add, though slightly off-topic is in regards to the "Force Random Sides" option. First, please make it so that the "Spectator" option is still selectable if this option is enabled. Second, would you consider expanding upon this option and add in "Force Random Soviet" and "Force Random Allied" for those of us who wish to have a game consisting of "all Allied" or "all Sovs" without having to rely on players to cooperate? Furthermore, have it set up so that if crates are enabled in conjunction, MCVs from the other two factions are not available. It'd be a great way to add even more variety, if I don't say so myself.

Edited by PrezSpammer

On 4/9/2022 at 10:43 AM, [CC] RaVaGe said:

Should store auto ally pre-sets in mpmaps.ini 

Perhaps something like...
[mapsection]
AutoAllyLvR=1A,2B,3A,4B
AutoAllyTvB=1A,2A,3B,4B

Where you get the info as a string and disassemble it for the logic.

This already exists and was a part of this feature from the beginning. The syntax however is:

TeamStartMapping0=A,A,B,B
TeamStartMapping0Name=TopLeft vs BottomRight
TeamStartMapping1=A,B,A,B
TeamStartMapping1Name=TopRight vs BottomLeft

The feature was originally called "Team Start Mappings", then rebranded to Auto Ally. The order in which A,B,C,D appear is based on spawn positions (per the map preview). IE, spawn 1 = Team A, 2 = B, 3 = C, 4 = D.

This above syntax is used for both mpmaps.ini as well as .map files so that custom map creators can incorporate it, too.

Release Notes:
https://github.com/CnCNet/cncnet-yr-client-package/releases/tag/yr-8.9

14 hours ago, PrezSpammer said:

A couple things I'd like to add, though slightly off-topic is in regards to the "Force Random Sides" option. First, please make it so that the "Spectator" option is still selectable if this option is enabled. Second, would you consider expanding upon this option and add in "Force Random Soviet" and "Force Random Allied" for those of us who wish to have a game consisting of "all Allied" or "all Sovs" without having to rely on players to cooperate? Furthermore, have it set up so that if crates are enabled in conjunction, MCVs from the other two factions are not available. It'd be a great way to add even more variety, if I don't say so myself.

• I never considered the lack of Specator option with Force Random Sides... I'll have to give that some thought on how it would work, but it should be doable.
  • I probably wouldn't add a Force Random Soviet or Force Random Allied checkbox. To me, that's too specific.. Rather, I think it would be a better general approach to convert the "No France/Yuri" checkbox to be a drop down of "Available Factions/Sides" where the host could choose from a multi select list of factions available for players to choose from.
  • I believe the "No France/Yuri" checkbox already limits crates from generating these MCVs. If the drop down suggested above were to work out, I don't see any reason why the same logic couldn't be used for it. 

All in all, these are great suggestions. Thanks!

1.   When auto ally is set :

1:A, 2:A, 3:x, 4:x

5:B, 6:B, 7:x, 8:x

x : is supposed to block this position from players.

- or <blank> : available spot.

However, when the above is set in auto ally and when there are more than 4 players e.g 6 players, the game still launches ?  since in auto ally , only 4 players were set with position and there were 4x, it should prevent the game from launching if the list of players is 5 or more.  

2.   In the loading page, how are the players currently sorted?  It is not alphabetically. It is not by position of map.  what is it ?   Can it be sorted by team first and then by the current logic?

On 4/23/2022 at 8:46 PM, Mi8 said:

1.   When auto ally is set :

1:A, 2:A, 3:x, 4:x

5:B, 6:B, 7:x, 8:x

x : is supposed to block this position from players.

- or <blank> : available spot.

However, when the above is set in auto ally and when there are more than 4 players e.g 6 players, the game still launches ?  since in auto ally , only 4 players were set with position and there were 4x, it should prevent the game from launching if the list of players is 5 or more.  

2.   In the loading page, how are the players currently sorted?  It is not alphabetically. It is not by position of map.  what is it ?   Can it be sorted by team first and then by the current logic?

You are correct. The game will launch even if you have more players than assigned locations. We could implement this, but it's also very simple for the host to simply kick any players over 4 in your scenario. 

As for the loading page and the sorting of players, I don't know that we have the ability to enforce that. We develop for the client which is everything you see up until the game launches. The actual game loading and game play is done in a different executable, one that we do not have the ability to modify.