RAED Problems and methods discussion

Jacko

I thought about creating a topic based on a simple discussion about how to do things in RAED that so far you have struggled with/ not managed to do.

Of course this would only be for RA1, but I'm sure if it was required other topics could be made for the other campaign and scenario editors.

Since I made this topic, I thought I would start.

My problem is:

I am trying to create a scenario where you fight along somewhere, until you get to a base,

then you have to defend it till more reinforcements arrive.

However I'm trying to set it that enemy units attack at certain times, but i have had no luck so far and they either all attack at once, or not really at all.

Its irritating me and i don't know what to do about it, does anyone have a solution?

My idea is (quite) similar to NOD mission 11(?) from C&C where you fight south of a river so you can clear stuff for your troops

however you blow up power plants so reinforcements can arrive to find a damaged base.

then you defend it while an mcv and some other stuff arrives.

that's the idea.

I think the best hope of this working would be using the other mission codes, so i will have a look.

Or have you used the waypoints?

and in triggers use zone entry by or enter by

put the cell triggers of the struggler team

then set the enter by for event at defend base then action timer set **** (* is the number you want)

then action 2 timer start

then to reinforcement another trigger

Event:mission timer expired

Action:Reinforment team

there

and jacko why your not online at RA lobby c'mon have you read my messages?

You can use celltriggers, timers or even let them attack when u build any specific unit or building

just make a trigger that is linked to the reinforcements and set the event to -no event- ... then create the other triggers that will fire up the reinforcement trigger when ever you want them to attack

I have decided to use (almost) the same thing used in the level 'Monster Tank Madness' As it is very similar objective and action-wise.

If you want me to I can upload the (almost) finished version of my level to explain in more detail.

Also I noticed something very unusual concerning Reinforcement teams and APC's.

If you have an APC and anything else in your teamtype (Tanks and Infantry, haven't tested with aircraft) it will be loaded into your APC,

so if you had 2 artillery,2 light tanks and an APC, the APC would arrive on its own, and unloading it would give you your tanks. Very odd.

Making APC unload tanks is impossible but Badger Bomber parachuting tanks can be possible. LOL. Anyways, try to use this type of trigger like in the first ant mission where you have to defend it like what have you said, or the missions SCG08EA and SCG08EB. Then, also you might wanna take a look at the teamtypes and triggers then brainstorm by yourself and visualize the campaign you will create, like what I did to my custom RA1 mission "Assassinate the Traitor". That way, the campaign might result into something identical to those missions I suggested to you. But try not to make the teamtypes and triggers the same of course :)

Like Jacko said. If the Teamtype has a APC in it the game will load all of units in that Teamtype on to the APC including tanks. The game thinks that the APC is same as the Sea Transport. I ran into this when I redid "In The Nick of Time" and "Shock Therapy" for Red Dawn.

Havent heard anyone mention globals. Essential in any mission really. If you want attacks to come in timed intervals after a certain event... then make that event a global. Such as when the mcv arrives set global 1. When global 1 is set, use a two event trigger.  1st part is your time interval, say 100. (10 mins) 2nd event is your global being set. If you switch th event order, it wont fire correctly. Also make it a constant trigger for repeating. Don't forget to start production. I never use auocreate. Doesent seem to do anything really for me.

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone had this issue? I was making a level and triggers were simply not firing correctly. I am very experienced with level making and I am certain nothing was technically wrong. Some triggers were being completely ignored or not doing what they're supposed to. I could not fix it no matter what I changed. I had to.completely delete the triggers and teamtypes and start over.             

Anyone had this issue? I was making a level and triggers were simply not firing correctly. I am very experienced with level making and I am certain nothing was technically wrong. Some triggers were being completely ignored or not doing what they're supposed to. I could not fix it no matter what I changed. I had to.completely delete the triggers and teamtypes and start over.             

Yeah I found this an issue and still haven't figured it out yet.

Particularly when it comes to making teams from units that already exist on the map I struggle a bit

I have not ran in to it in that type of scenario. The only thing abnormal in this mission I was just working on, that might have something to do with it, was having the enemy use a reinforcement for an MCV, then use the [base] section and have them construct their entire base. I also tried using autocreate to see if that really does anything. I remember years ago determining for myself that autocreate made no difference. I figured I would try again and had the same result after much experimenting. My thinking is that somehow use of [base] section and autocreate somehow screwed something up in the map. But how or where I have no idea.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...