red alert content

Zjorz

Hello,

I wanted to play red alert 1 and was looking for a download. To my surprise the fullra++ that used to be on this site is gone.

The redalert1.com site only allows you to download red alert 1 without music and expansions. http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/ allows to download red alert + the expansion split up, so thats also not veyr user friendly.

So my question: is there a place online where i  can download a clean single exe version (like c&c95 has) of red alert including the expansions + music?

Thanks

What does Nyerguds' EXE installercontain, AFAIK it's just the game with maybe music added, you still need to download the videos separately. The files are split up to convenience different kinds of players and to allow for "testing" the 11 MB main package.

Are there any benefits to having an installer? I'm asking cause the build on http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/ is made by FunkyFr3sh in coordination with me and using software I'm writing (including a patch over the 3.03 patch released by Westwood as improvements over hifi's patch). Me and Funky have been doing lots of work improving the custom build of Red Alert 1 and it's already tons better than the build on redalert1.com or any other released build, but we've got a bunch of issues to fix, which I'm mostly tackling.

Essentially what I'm asking for is feedback for the build itself, what you think of the http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/ site and what your experience has been so far.

The benefits to having an installer is it is farking simple for the user. You can program the the installer to put eveything in one place. You tell it to install at C:\Westwood\*YOUR REDALERT* it will do so. This make adding this like Music and Video easy as you can have the Music and Video installer install in the same place. No need for drop and drag or copy and paste by the user.

Also the installer can make desktop shortcut icons to things your installing. So with a somthing like a base game for online play only you could have the installer make a shortcut to CnC Net and have it placed on the desktop. Now say the same person downloads the campaigns and misssions as well. Now you can have that installer make a short cut to the RA95.exe for single player missions.

Nyerguds more or less told me how do use Inno Setup 5 so I could do all of this for Red Dawn.

Well its not like i dont know how to make it work and install the game. Its just that i used to have to install the game using 4 cd's back in the days.

After so many years i would expect to have one exe that would install the game since 500 mb isnt that much today.

If i want to install red alert 1 including the music, expansions and  editor i need to download like 6 different files. Copy it all to one foleder and create all the shortcuts manually.

C&C95 has it, tiberian sun has it so why doesn't it exist for red alert? Its the most popular game on cncnet so i am suprised nobody asked this question earlier

You don't need to create shortcuts for everything. You just need to download 4 files and place them in one folder. FunkyFr3sh told me on IRC a few hours ago he wants to make an installer some day but the issue with making an installer is that it requires lots of bandwidth, takes long to download etc and a lot of people don't care about music or videos. Besides that whenever anything gets updated the installers need to be updated too.

Found a good explanation in another topic:

around 98% of RA1 players play RA1 online without Aftermath as the Aftermath makes build speed slower. Just in case you weren't aware of this before.

This explains the lack of expansions on ra1.com.

Will play the redalert1.com build since its closest to what i am looking for. Thanks for the replies everybody.

Found a good explanation in another topic:

around 98% of RA1 players play RA1 online without Aftermath as the Aftermath makes build speed slower. Just in case you weren't aware of this before.

This explains the lack of expansions on ra1.com.

Will play the redalert1.com build since its closest to what i am looking for. Thanks for the replies everybody.

The build speed slow down was added in the V2.00 reguardless if you have Aftermath so as far as I know so it wouldn't matter if you were Aftermath or not?

It's only enabled when Aftermath is turned on and more specifically when NewUnitsEnabled is set to 'yes'. Westwood actually added a check for NewUnitsEnabled inside TechnoClass::Time_To_Build(), the function starts at 0x00560F80 in the 3.03 EXE and the check is at 0x005611F3.

Use the http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/ build, it has expansions, a config tool and a bunch of fixes.

About the build you mentioned: i tried it yesterday and i was pleasantly surprised by the config tool. Finally a way to play red alert in a higher resolution without many bugs. And the best thing about it: it works with cncnet!

Even though the instalation method isn't exactly how i would prefer it the high resoltion mode makes up for that.

Looking forward to further development, i will surely keep an eye on your site from now.

I wrote the config tool but the site and Red Alert 1 build is Funky's (it's based on my own build I'm working on though).

I updated the config tool yesterday with a lot of extra options the patch I'm working on adds. My patch itself is based on hifi's (which is included in the build you downloaded) and has a lot more fixes and options. All the features I want to add to the patch for the first release are pretty much completed and I'll release it a few weeks from now probably, so then I'll release the updated config tool too and an updated Red Alert 1 build which Funky will update his build. This build has some more fixes and cool features and once I'm able to release everything it'll be a substantial improvement over normal Red Alert with the latest official patch.

One thing I need to do via patching cnc-ddraw (the ddraw.dll and ddraw.ini in that Red Alert 1 build you downloaded) is stretching videos and a few screens.

• 2 weeks later...