Cannot find friend in LAN / local game

ottelo

Question

My friend and me downloaded the FullRa version of Red alert 1 and installed it. We are both in the same local TCP-IP (WLAN-Router) network and could see us in the windows network. But if we start Ra95.exe and click on Network we cant see us! We already start cncnet and choose direct peer 2 peer connection and created the winsock.dll but nothing works. We also tried to set up a WLAN ad-hoc network.

Do we really need IPX to play? But I think this will not work because our router doesnt support IPX (I think so).

9 answers to this question

What anti virus do you and your friend use? Kaspersky and others like to block communications from C&C95 and RA1.

Anyone successfully do a LAN game under Win7??

Yes I've done Win7 to Win7, XP to Win7, Win7 to XP to Linux (Wine) everything works fine for me...

Check if you both are in the same workgroup. Take a look on this topic.

Also check if the computers does not got two network cards connected to different networks. Belive me, it can be weird, but I already had this problem.

Kaspersky and Eset32 firewalls (others may also do it) disallows C&C to connect to the network. Temporary disable them and try again.

Ok now it works.

Its very funny, its only working with a LAN cable (direct connection or switch/hub). Via WLAN (adhoc or router) it doesnt work!

I have Antivir free antivirus without firewall or internet security.