Attempted to make new TD rax failed

Kilkakon

Well thanks to Nyer's superpowers that he bestowed on me, I thought I would see if I could make another building a barracks in TD. What I did was do a repoint to give a normal building an exit foundation, and then changed the construction type.

It was a nice idea, but the same problem's still there--the dude doesn't know where to exit the plant.

Was worth a shot though I suppose!

Yeah... I never managed to do that either. Maybe it's related to the "exit grid" the producing buildings all have, but I'm afraid there are hardcoded extras involved there that determine the precise exit point and where they move to from there.

The only exception to this is that it's perfectly possible to make the repair pad produce helicopters, since it already has a docking logic. But obviously it won't rearm them.

Yeah, I thought it was the exit grid, but seems to be something else in the production code. Interestingly the hospital thought it was a Hand of Nod (the conyard was special though so that's probably just confusing things).

Oh well :) I was just thinking it'd be cool to have the buildings not look the same for all factions. Like how conyards looked amazing in the pre-release pictures. Or give, say, Russians the RA weapons factory.

And yeah I noticed you mentioned that in your epic C&CUGE text file. Although if the helicopter didn't have ammo it'd be fine.

I can't say about RA, but I do know that construction yards remember their original faction. I exploit this in my mod--to allow civilians to have their own technology tree despite them being a non-functioning team normally. (I give the player an engineer...)

I can't say about RA, but I do know that construction yards remember their original faction. I exploit this in my mod--to allow civilians to have their own technology tree despite them being a non-functioning team normally. (I give the player an engineer...)

Every building in RA1 remembers their original faction. It's needed to make the "capture enemy clone building which my side also has" logic, e.g. to make it so when you capture the CY or WF (which your side can also build) you get the tech of that building's original side.

Do you think you can do production buildings somehow? Or just one of those "never really tried" things? I'm thinking if you could do the whole "shave off the leftmost bit" like other things do that would be enough... Desert Church Resistance! XD

I did try a negative damage ion cannon today, haha. :P Let's just say that it didn't exactly repair... it kinda killed something INSTANTLY haha

Ooh. Might be the "-1 == infinite" logic really simply checks "< 0" instead of "== -1". So, infinite damage, lol.

As for the production, from the way the APC and MCV logics are done, I'm afraid that unit spawning code will be full of specific exceptions per-building for handling stuff like that, so I'd actually need to locate that spawning handling code, and add a new piece of code for the new building's exit logic.

So yeah, not really comparable to adding new units, which is mostly just expanding the existing list with one item and make sure all related logics know the list has a new size.

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about this again--would something like this be possible?

[smg id=175]

I meant the construction yard here...

I wouldn't care about a separate buildup; just the finished frames so we could have the logo. One for GDI, Nod, Civilian and JP. As far as files go, could just recycle the radar logo extensions from the game files.

Yeah there's a few shots of it lifted from TFD's extras in the beta shots area too :D

But hey, if it's possible, would look great :O Annnnnd it could also be used for sneaky things like two tone colours for Nod buildings by using side specific shp loading, and recolours/skins of buildings to look different for my factions. I wouldn't overuse it as most of my mod is done already but it would be nice for say, logos on barracks and weapons factories. (If you did the buildup as well it would be a total reskin but I'm guessing that you'd base it somewhat off the code for theatre specific stuff)

How possible do you think it would be? Not sure if you have looked into that area. To work properly, it'd have to be controlled by the constructing player, not the one owning the thing.

Annnnnd it could also be used for sneaky things like two tone colours for Nod buildings by using side specific shp loading, and recolours/skins of buildings to look different for my factions.

Honestly, if I'd do that, I can simply convert all existing buildings to do the colour separation on them, and then make a mechanism in which a house can have a specific colour scheme for buildings only, and use a new, dual-colour scheme for the Nod buildings. GDI and Nod both have a double fade (2x 8 colours) of bright to dark on the palette, after all, and this is a leftover of this double remap mechanism in beta. Recreating that can't be too hard.

I'm not really doing any work on my patch at all though, these days. It'd be much easier to implement things like this after making all house and colour settings into ini format.

...now I think about it, the current mechanism already allows having buildings-only remap... Nod has always used that.  O_o

So all I'd have to do is separate the colours on all Nod and dual owned structures, following the beta screenshots, and then give Nod a secondary scheme with a palette which uses the separated areas.

[edit]

I'd have to see what to do about the harvester and MCV though, since they also use the building colours.

Then again, this shot shows an MCV with the same dual colouring :D

(the front part is red on the final MCV, and grey on this one)

That's right! You allowed me to do the same, e.g. for Company of Answers:

[GoodGuy]

Allies=Neutral,GoodGuy

Edge=East

ColorScheme=Orange

SecondaryScheme=Fire

It'd be a fun mod for sure. :) Not sure if buildings would look worse though with the reduced number of remap colours but I suppose that'd be up to the pixel artist.

At the end of the day the motivation for the suggestion was logos on conyards and at a stretch-- a way that would allow me to skin a building or two. Sadly I've already used up all the colours in my mod though... I've overwritten a few using hex as it is haha. Still :D I'd be interested to see what's possible!

Just saw your edit, and heh-heh, you have great eyes for spotting those details!

Nope, I didn't. There's space for 18 additional palettes there, and there's space for 4 new remap tables right below the existing ones. The only tricky bit would be adding the names to the new schemes.

Addresses for the arrays:

Actual remap tables: 00660880 (offset 1A9E80)

Secondary schemes: 00660900 (offset 1A9F00) (can usually be left to FF; is only used for the Nod scheme really)

Building radar colors: 00660920 (offset 1A9F20)

Unit radar colors: 00660940 (offset 1A9F40)

Name references: 0066096C (offset 1A9F6C)

And, actual space where 4 more tables could be added:

00660400, 00660500, 00660600 and 00660700 (offsets: 1A9A00, 1A9B00, 1A9C00, 1A9D00)

(you'll notice this is above all these arrays)

Heck, if you put your name strings in the 1A9E00-1A9E80 part, between the remap tables and the arrays, you can probably work out the addresses to put in the names reference table yourself. Just remember to reverse the 4 bytes ;)

[edit]

The internal array length seems to be set to the full 32 entries on the list (of which, as I said, 18 are still free), so just adding a new string reference in there will automatically expand the list. No need to adapt any of the actual loading code to account for a larger list length :)

Thanks for the information mate! It's good to know that area can be expanded should I need to exploit new things like your dual tone experiments. Currently I have chosen colours for each of the main factions for the time being:

Tomorrow: DarkGrey (tweaked)

Company of Answers: Orange and Fire

Japan: Green (tweaked)

Russia: Red

USA: Blue

Terrorist forces: Gold (for group 1) and Brown (for group 2)

Cuba: WarmSilver

Australian police: Gold buildings and vehicles and blue infantry

Chris Brutal's Mob: Brown

Might be an idea to try something new for the police and/or Brutal's forces. :D I'm open to ideas, and hey, if you do dual-tone I'll review the factions I have done so far and think if it would suit any of them.