Beta CnC1

This was not covered extensively in our interviews, but here is the perfect place to mention it.These are some of the authors's comments on units and structures that changed during design.

• Perhaps the biggest change was the dropping of the biochem troops. In early designs, nod
    had this class of infantry, including a biochem research lab that was needed for ther
    ceration.Attacking enemy units with biochem spary could even sometimes turn thoses
    units into vicious, unruly Tiberium visceroids.
    Westwood found that the biochem units were functionally quite similar to flamers, and
    they were pulled. The biochem research lab still shows up as an objective, for example,
    in GDI Mission 13, bit it's not fuctional. visceroids remain as a feature sprinkled in; see
    if you can find them.

• In early development scenarios, the GDI had a kick-ass incendiary (flame) MLRS variant.
    It had very long rangebut, most importantly, the big incendiary blast was pure hell on
    enemy infantry. Imagine a flame-tank blast that can be delivered anywhere you want!
    Reloading took a very long time, but a few of these babys still ment zero enemy
    infantry could get to you. The graphic was very cute; you could see the missles pop
    onto the launcher after the long reload time (there were two, firing independently). You
    had to be not to mix with the enemy-heaven forbid that arty came down on you!

They weren't shabby against armor, either. Their ultralong range was a kicker. if you
    had several, it was virtually guanteed that no enemy infantry could make the long
    trek to where you where you were. You could even stand two paces out of turret range and
    pound them into dust with impunity!

These were pulled because of concerns over game play balance. Possibly their long reload
    had been an initial attempt to dampen them, but even with it being very long, they were
    the lethal beasts described here.

• A hospital was on the original drawing boards for healing injured infantry, much like in
    Dune II It can be seen (but not used) in GDI Mission 10 and Nod Mission 13.

• Bazookas for GDI were not originally in the design but were incorporated to help round
    out the weaker GDI infantry.

• Likewise, Nod did not have commandos. They were introduced to spice up the
    Nod side.

• The Nod attack helicopter was also not in the original design. It likly was added to
    counter the strong air advantage of the GDI.

Ill upload some beta pics soon as well.

Here are some Pics (not sure if thay are Beta, Prerelise or simply Fake but these are strange concidering the Beta used DOS graphics.)

http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?action=mgallery;sa=album;id=10

• 2 months later...

I'm sorry for posting a reply to a relatively old topic, but I find this info very interesting. I have always found it exciting to explore how a game would change during its development.

Keep 'em coming! ;)

A hospital was on the original drawing boards for healing injured infantry, much like in Dune II

Erm... what? :huh:

Welcome and its fine Im not bothered about people bumping my topics

Ill try and find more to post.

Erm... what? :huh:

That’s what it said in the DOS official guide, i have never played Dune 2 my self (i want to) if there’s not a hospital i dune 2 then may be it was on the drawing boards (I always got the feeling they couldn’t get the hospital right so they left it in as eye candy, till RA2)

So the "official guide" is only in printed media, no online version? I'd gladly have a look at that document :)

What other interesting stuff is there to be found?

Some other thoughts/comments regarding that quote:

• Perhaps the biggest change was the dropping of the biochem troops. In early designs, nod
    had this class of infantry, including a biochem research lab that was needed for ther
    ceration.Attacking enemy units with biochem spary could even sometimes turn thoses
    units into vicious, unruly Tiberium visceroids.
    Westwood found that the biochem units were functionally quite similar to flamers, and
    they were pulled. The biochem research lab still shows up as an objective, for example,
    in GDI Mission 13, bit it's not fuctional. visceroids remain as a feature sprinkled in; see
    if you can find them.

• In early development scenarios, the GDI had a kick-ass incendiary (flame) MLRS variant.
    It had very long rangebut, most importantly, the big incendiary blast was pure hell on
    enemy infantry. Imagine a flame-tank blast that can be delivered anywhere you want!
    infantry could get to you. The graphic was very cute; you could see the missles pop
    onto the launcher after the long reload time (there were two, firing independently). You

They weren't shabby against armor, either. Their ultralong range was a kicker. if you
    had several, it was virtually guanteed that no enemy infantry could make the long
    trek to where you where you were. You could even stand two paces out of turret range and
    pound them into dust with impunity!

These were pulled because of concerns over game play balance. Possibly their long reload
    had been an initial attempt to dampen them, but even with it being very long, they were
    the lethal beasts described here.

I've never played C&C multiplayer, but I've always though the Nod Chem. Warriors and S.S.M. Launchers are still buildable in multiplayer games... :huh: In any case, they're both still in the game, and can be made available for production at certain technology level settings.

(Or is this entire paragraph about singleplayer campaigns only?)

• Bazookas for GDI were not originally in the design but were incorporated to help round
    out the weaker GDI infantry.

This reminds me of the Soviet side in RA (9which is essentially GDI gameplay-style-wise), where they don't have Rocket Soldiers in the singleplayer missions.

Yeah, each of those pics are from the beta stages of C&C1.

I've never played C&C multiplayer, but I've always though the Nod Chem. Warriors and S.S.M. Launchers are still buildable in multiplayer games...

They are, but AFAIK, the multiplayer feature came later, in C&C GOLD, and before that, the units weren't available in any of the C&C missions.

Btw, chem warrior having the bio-research facility as prerequisite structure makes sense, it had a buildup in the mix files, IIRC.

In early development scenarios, the GDI had a kick-ass incendiary (flame) MLRS variant.

So....the SSM was supposed to be a GDI unit? O_o

@crim Yup

I am not aware of the "official guide to command & conquer" being published on the internet, I bough this copy off of Amazon

The SSM is available to nod in multiplayer as is the Nod attack helicopter and biochem troops.

the Guide also says nod needed a missile platform and found the SSM. (possible stolen from GDI)but I believe this units was may be toned down a little bit.

Graphics

Ill upload some pics soon  (this info is from recall so may be updated)

(THIS TOPIC WILL MAKE MORE SENCE WHITH PICTURES IN IT)

The hand of Nod

In some beta pic the hand is shown with a nod logo on the side of it just like the version added in one of nyerguds patches

The Repair bay

Again in some beta pics and a cameo 2 variations of the repair pad are shown, one with a cross hair like symbol on it (in game) and  one with a nod logo on it (cameo)

The Construction Yard

There is evidence that GDI and Nod had or were suppose to have separate construction yard.

There is a beta pic which shows the con yard having a nod logo on its roof and there is the unused and incomplete pumpmake.shp  which is of a deploying mcv. The last frames look like there is a GDI logo on top of the Con Yard

So....the SSM was supposed to be a GDI unit? O_o

Take a look at the C&C95 sidebar icons (which were made from colored renders), the SSM Launcher has the gold color of GDI, whereas the MLRS has the gray/urban camouflage of Nod. I guess this can be regarded as an indirect clue to what side each unit was supposed to be.

The Construction Yard

There is evidence that GDI and Nod had or were suppose to have separate construction yard.

There is a beta pic which shows the con yard having a nod logo on its roof and there is the unused and incomplete pumpmake.shp  which is of a deploying mcv. The last frames look like there is a GDI logo on top of the Con Yard

BTW, that incomplete "MCV to ConYard" animation is altogether very different from the final version used in the game, not only by the  GDI logo on the ConYard roof.

They are, but AFAIK, the multiplayer feature came later, in C&C GOLD, and before that, the units weren't available in any of the C&C missions.

The SSM, Apache, Chem Warriors etc. has always been in C&C, even in C&C DOS. And C&C DOS has multiplayer...

and you see these units in some Covert Ops missions.

The SSM Laucher can be founded on GDI (not for build up) Just put the tech level on 7 and units cont to 12, and, here is it, and, if you capture the Airstrip and if you have a Advanced Guard Tower (Missle Tower, how i say) you can build up a SSM.

but, diferent of APC, if you sell the Airstrip, you cant build up Anymore.

same as APC, If you are in NOD on Single Player, Capture a War Factory, and sell it if you have a airstrip, you can build  up a APC on Multiplayer, i think it is a Tech Level Bug, because NOD can build up the APC. And it have the same bug to Helipad.

C&C DOS have a MultiPlayer, yes, Just put a -o parameter, and if you have instaled the IPX Network, it will apear. Well, it showing in my Win98 computer, but, i like the Gold Edition.

• 3 weeks later...