YR Music Update addon (updated v1.00b)

55aa

Following up on the TS:FS music update addon I released earlier this week, here's a similar addon for YR. It foremostly expands the YR playlist with all of the standard RA2 tracks, but also adds in four tracks that were cut from the game (or, in the case of one, just disabled from the playlist) for a complete RA2/YR playlist of 25 tracks. As with the TS:FS addon, this one as well may be of particular interest to people who make gameplay videos with the original game music.

Features:

-  Contrarily to earlier C&C games and their expansions, the in-game playlist in Yuri's Revenge unfortunately does not contain the original Red Alert 2 music. The addon addresses this by adding all RA2 playlist tracks to the YR playlist.

-  The RA2 track "

Jank

" (which, despite being a full-length song, is used only as a loading screen theme in RA2) is also added to the playlist.

-  Three extra tracks (featured on the official RA2 soundtrack CD, but cut from the game itself) are added: "

Ready the Army

", "

C&C in the House

", and "

Probing

".

-  Track names are corrected to match their names as they appear on the official RA2 soundtrack CD and in Frank Klepacki's RA2/YR music player (most notably restoring "

Hell March 2

" 's proper name).

-  Improved layout of the 

thememd.ini

music control file, along with some tweaking tips (in the readme file).

-  UPDATE: version 1.00a provides alternate 

thememd.ini 

files, allowing to put the YR tracks before the RA2 tracks in the playlist, and/or use the track order from the OST CD and Frank Klepacki's RA2/YR music player instead of the standard in-game order. Also, the readme file has additional tips concerning changing the track order in general.

kL4bt2b.png

Download v1.00b (SendSpace), 15.4 MiB

CRC32:

CBF219CD

UPDATE: version 1.00b fixes a bug concerning running the batch script as admin (which you shouldn't have to anyway unless your game is installed where it really shouldn't have been) and adds extended checks for presence of required files.

(Base game music files 

theme.mix

and 

thememd.mix

are required to be present in the game directory.)

The addon has been updated with additional music control files providing alternate track ordering. A file specifically providing the track order you are requesting is also attached to this post (just place it in your game folder, replacing the existing one).

(RA2 tracks before YR tracks should be kept as default IMHO though, as it's the general rule for expansion music to follow base game music; the only exception being Tiberian Dawn, and TBH I'm not quite sure whether that was even intentional or just a side effect.)

thememd.ini

I can't seem to get this to work. I ran the batch file and it said it copied stuff, but the jukebox in YR hadn't updated.

The other thing is if I launched the batch file in admin mode it said it couldnt locate theme.mix. Weird

if I launched the batch file in admin mode it said it couldnt locate theme.mix. Weird

There indeed was a bug in the batch file, I forgot that batch files being run as admin work by default from  "
%WINDIR%\system32

"  rather than from where they're being run from, thanks for helping catch that.

I can't seem to get this to work. I ran the batch file and it said it copied stuff, but the jukebox in YR hadn't updated.

That pretty much sounds like you didn't actually copy all the files from the  "
RA2

"  folder in the ZIP into your game directory. If you completely ignored the batch file but copied the other three, you'd still have three new, properly labeled tracks in the playlist. At least 

thememd.ini

seems missing, without it the playlist won't budge by a bit at all.

I updated the addon fixing the run-as-admin bug, and the batch file will now also check for each and every needed file and report whatever should be missing. Tested on Win7 64-bit (both normal and admin mode) and WinXP 32-bit, all works fine if all files are there. Only the batch file has changed, so you can just grab it from the attachment to this post rather than downloading the whole thing again. Should problems persist, post a screenshot of the batch cmd window.

ra2_music_to_yr.zip

It doesn't work in singleplayer, but works fine for online play

Are you absolutely sure that this is actually the case? Such a situation would imply your game using the custom INI file in one game mode, but falling back to the standard one in another, which isn't something I had ever seen or heard of happening. It's all or nothing really - if you place a specific INI file in the game directory, it overrides the embedded one completely, no matter what the game mode. The new playlist works for me in all game modes, no matter if campaign, skirmish, LAN, or CnCNet (haven't tested WOL/XWIS, but I'm rather sure it'd be no different either).

Please copy the four files from the addon ZIP's RA2 folder into your game directory again (plus the latest batch file in case you didn't redownload v1.00b), run the batch file, make a screenshot of the cmd window when it concludes, and post it here.

Better yet, post a listing of your game directory too. To do that, first open a new cmd window, and navigate to your game directory using the 

cd

command. To change the drive (if necessary), enter just the drive designation once, for instance

D:

(followed by the enter key) to change to the D drive, etc. Once in your RA2/YR directory, run the folowing command:

dir /oen > ra2dir.txt

Open the resulting text file, copy its contents, upload it to pastebin and post the link.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE: version 1.00b fixes a bug concerning running the batch script as admin (which you shouldn't have to anyway unless your game is installed where it really shouldn't have been) and adds extended checks for presence of required files.

"unless your game is installed where it really shouldn't have been" - incidentally, where both TFD and Origin install it by default?

"unless your game is installed where it really shouldn't have been" - incidentally, where both TFD and Origin install it by default?

I installed them to their default paths I'm pretty sure if that is what you are asking. It works with the cncnet client though. When I try to launch it through origin it crashes before the game even loads.

I installed them to their default paths I'm pretty sure if that is what you are asking. It works with the cncnet client though. When I try to launch it through origin it crashes before the game even loads.

That was more a comment to 55aa that he shouldn't assume such things, but yes, it DOES mean that if it is anywhere under "program files" you need to run the batch file in Administrator mode. Right click-> run as administrator.

Curious though... did the game work before you installed the music patch?

After I used this on my game I cannot launch it from origin. How do you uninstall it?

Read the readme file? There's a section on uninstalling  :dry:

That was more a comment to 55aa that he shouldn't assume such things, but yes, it DOES mean that if it is anywhere under "program files" you need to run the batch file in Administrator mode. Right click-> run as administrator.

Curious though... did the game work before you installed the music patch?

After I used this on my game I cannot launch it from origin. How do you uninstall it?

Read the readme file? There's a section on uninstalling  :dry:

My download didn't come with a readme and the game did work before I installed the music and I did run it as admin.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have a mirror of this file, or can the OP find another place to host it? The original download is down, but I want to install this because 8 tracks is a criminally small number of songs to listen to. They're great tracks, but having the full soundtrack would be much better.

• 1 month later...

I just checked and looks like i got 22 Ra2 & YR tracks on my playlist. OP said something about 3 extra ra2 tracks deleted from the original game?

Edit: I just listened to the 3 tracks on youtube. They're pretty good especially ready the army which reminds me of Ra1 soundtrack.

Edited by KissMySedonaPass

• 2 years later...

Saw this was no longer available and I am working on a patch myself - and for the live of me thinks like YR Playlist Modifier etc don't work anymore.

LINK: https://www.dropbox.com/s/az6k1knxz9gti4q/Yuri Music v1.zip?dl=0 

So I threw this together if anyone is interested - which probably replicates as above.

Following the track listings here: https://cncnz.com/features/the-music-of-command-conquer/ 

It adds the RA2 music with screen music and hidden tracks enabled, the early mic of HM2 (really hidden track), the Yuri soundtrack, the Yuri Remix from Frank Klepacki's site, and for extra measure, I threw in Hell March 1, 3 and the HM1 and 2 From First to Last Remixes.

Totals 34 tracks I think.

Simple really, drag the expandmd09.mix and ra2md.csf into your folder and copy across theme.mix from your RA2 disc (it's probably already there if using an Origin release or similar) and copy and rename this to something like ecachera2music.mix or similar. Without this, the RA2 tracks won't play.

Hope people find it useful, feedback appreciated.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

@daverobertsfilm I was excited when I saw someone brought this back, but was bummed out when I couldn't get it to work. I'm playing on an origin version, copied the two files into my folder and then created an additional copy of "theme.mix" and renamed it as suggested in your post. When I launch the game through cncnet and check the available tracks, it is still limited to just Yuri's Revenge tracks. Any direction or tips on how to resolve this would be most appreciated!