Browser Warz: Splitt from the CnCNet on Linux topic

Tore

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I don't run the browser installation all the time though, I run the browser inside the installation :P

Also, I use firefox because of all the extensions I use.

As soon as Chrome's extension stuff becomes mature, I'm jumping ship to chrome

Irony.... wait, you find Opera bloated, but you use FF for the plugins?

Newsflash... Opera already HAS all of these small handy features that people download FF plugins for :P

And on top of that, it also has a plugins system.

what do you mean with greader/gmail tracking? I use Gmail's RSS feed. What more do I need?

Also, a name like "foxmarks" is not only very unexplanatory, but also quite obviously made specifically for Firefox. I'm talking about FUNCTION here, not specific firefox features. Names don't mean anything. I'm pretty sure I can give you Opera's equivalent if you tell me what that thing DOES :P

I think foxmarks is called xmarks now, it's a bookmarking and password syncing tool that means your bookmarks and cookies are the same on all of your computers (I switch between my desktop, laptop and netbook)

And using the gmail RSS feed won't automatically log me in to the relevant google account when I want to check my emails. Google Reader is a feed reader so I don't think it provides a feed with all your feeds in it, but if it does it still has the log-in issue.

There's also my eBay companion (Keeps track of my bids, lets me know when I win/lose/get outbid), AdBlock Plus (I've not seen a banner ad since 2006 :P), Firebug (Javascript and css Debugger/Prototyper), TwitterFox (Simple twitter client), Greasemonkey (I believe opera has user-script support, albeit much more limited that greasemonkey's), Greasefire (Lets me know if a greasemonkey script is available for a site), Styler (Like userscripts, but css instead of js, for changing how some sites look or render) and other such things I use from time to time.

Opera's not popular enough to have the myriad of extensions already made, chrome has potential though. Once their system matures, I'm jumping ship :P

Umm.... all of these things you talk about now are plugins... I'm saying half of the things FF has plugins for are STANDARD in Opera. IRC support, custom searches, easy zoom buttons, complete control of interface layout (I got my sidebar at the right side of my window), mouse gestures, easy key combinations/buttons for opening recently closed tabs... all of that, without installing a single plugin.

And on top of that, it has a plugins system too, which will undoubtably have similar stuff to the things you mention there :P

Firefox's interface is written in css and javascript, it's completely customisable!

As for that stuff coming as standard: DO NOT WANT. I don't want my browser to come with a one size fits all mentality, I don't use IRC so that's unneeded bloat for me.

And I checked, most of the extensions I listed don't have opera alternatives and the ones that do aren't as sophisticated as the firefox counterparts.

Opera's an okay browser, but it's unnecessary, Once chrome's extensions API is stable, all other browsers are obsolete. The only reason this didn't happen with firefox, is that mozilla can't market something as much as google can. And Google are going to shove ads everywhere when Chrome 3 is released

As for that stuff coming as standard: DO NOT WANT. I don't want my browser to come with a one size fits all mentality, I don't use IRC so that's unneeded bloat for me.

Bloat? It's still smaller than FF, and if you don't go looking for the IRC feature, you won't notice it's there. In opera I know that if I happen to want a feature, just looking through what is there usually solves my problem without having to install extra stuff. Talking about "bloated", these plugins make FF take even more space.

And FF might have a fully customizable layout, but it's missing the user controls to customize that by hand, which, for normal users, makes it very hard to customize.

i use my google chrome and not have problems...

and about firefox, i recomend to not use it on lan houses, it store some passwords!

My Nintendo DS Bowser is best at all! (when it not give the red screen of the dead) it is olnly text! no way to pick up a virus!  :P

i dont use the opera bowser of ds, i use the DSOrganize bowser, who are freeware.

but, DSOrganize bowser is incomplete, and, it not have the expansion pack, who cant display some image.

Isn't the Opera browser for the DS free? :O

Evil!!