Can't beat GDI Mission 4

TaxOwlbear

I just can't seem to be able to beat the fourth GDI mission. Nod just has too many forces. Their rocket guys have incredible range and firepower and shoot by vehicles to bits in no time. And I'm not even sure how to destroy those two Bradleys! I tried to reach the village, but I just can't make it.

And advice?

Since it is a tactical mission with limited units, it does involve some intuitive strategy, first off there is a Civvie who is your guide who will run down the road distracting the Nod troops until he gets mowed down by the Buggies camping out by the Barn near the bridge. It is important to keep your Grenadiers alive over the Minigunners/Rifle Infantry which I will get to in a minute. Firstly, the APC's are armed with Miniguns in the Mod which are more effective at mowing down the troops but lack the speed of the Humvees. I tend to use the Humvees to draw out the troops and the light vehicles and then use the Grenadiers and APC's to take them out as they make a run for you as you retreat. Target the Rocket Soldiers as a top priority. For the rest, simply using the C&C Generals Attack/Move Command or the Double Click Guard helps greatly when you decide to stand your ground. When you get to the bridge send in your Humvees and/or APC's to draw out the tanks. While I know it goes against the design & strategy of the original mission you can garrison buildings like you can in C&C Generals. I have implemented the use for this mechanic into the missions for enhanced tactical possibilities. Garrison the barn near the bridge with your Grenadiers and withdraw all your forces behind the barn. The AI controlled tanks will chase after your retreating forces and will get slaughtered by the Grenadiers in the barn.

I just can't seem to pull this off. I played this mission about eight or nine times, and did manage to get to the barn with most of my units alive a couple of times, but the light tanks never seem to go for the rest of my forces and always attack the barn from a distance. I tried to draw them after the rest of my forces from a distance, but they destroy my vehicles so quickly that I never manage to get them to drive past the barn. I'll try again later.

Ignore that stupid barn. Rush into the village. Once you move in there you get more reinforcements.

For the rest... use grenadiers against the tanks. As for rocket guys, minigunners make short work of them, and you can just crush them with your APCs too.

As sgtmyers88 said, this is a tactical mission. Bait enemies into following a lone minigunner, lure them into ambushes. You have to be tactical or this just won't work :)

I just remembered that the campaign difficulty settings can add/subtract forces via scripts on a per map basis and whatnot. Being the sole level designer I could go back in and nerf that feature just a bit. I can also lower the armor/HP on specific units exclusively or their aggressiveness aka their probability of attacking and chasing. This was done in one of the SPEC OPS missions where you start out with a lone Commando who you need to destroy the shore defences before your MCV can be brought in. Otherwise he would get roasted by the guarding flame tanks.

So, I completely missed the fact this was in the Redux forum, and thought this was about the original TD mission xD

No. APCs in TD are slower than hummers, even though stats would make it seem otherwise. Feel free to try it out ingame.

Peculiar. Must be movement type related then, since the bare values in the game say 30 vs 35, in favour of the APC.

Okay, I give up on this one for now. I just can't beat it. This is harder than the dreaded China Mission 3 from Zero Hour.

I managed to destroy the Bradleys two or three times, but I can't reach the village after that. Nod has too many rocket soldiers left, and since they only need three of four rockets to destroy a Hummer, I can't make it to the village to get the reinforcements. Also, luring out the Bardleys never seems to work for me. They just go straight for the garrisoned barn and safely destroy it from a distance.