old ra2 mods dont work?

ROBOTICSUPERMAN

after a long break from the game, and then the discovery of the new online remakes :D, I have returned to the rts god that is red alert 2 yuris revenge.

way back I did allot of modding and I had a mod I created that was quite fun, including adding Clint, Arnold James Bond, and Sylvester to the teams and AI adaptions to implement them :D

but it doesn't seem to take effect anymore.

open mod launcher

click launch

this opens the default yuri's revenge launcher

click start game

loads up the default game.

I guess that the fact it opens the default launcher is the issue, but it doesn't launch without it.

has anyone got a work around?

I'm not talking about running the online section, but about running the single player.

like on mental omega there would be a little window which opened, which had buttons allowing you to launch the modded game, or manual etc. then you would click the launch modded game button, and the modded game would launch.

which is the same as xcc mods.

my mod works exactly the same. however when you click launch modded game, it instead opens the normal single player launcher, and loads the default game :(

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=yuris+revenge+launcher&view=detailv2&&id=2E4AE8180DD83D40215030D4AE5F9B30A393F0FB&selectedIndex=23&ccid=A6xPTw6Y&simid=608036472245520477&thid=OIP.M03ac4f4f0e984a57c2380de4809bf959o0

my mod has essentially the same layout and functionality as this mental omega mod. ^^^^^

but once I launch it, it opens the same window which automatically opens when you insert the game disk.

so, I just downloaded mental omega to test that mods work. but it didn't run. I need more dll files. msvcp100.dll. is that normal for using..

windows 10,

origin's free ra2 and yuri's revenge

yuri's revenge 1.001

additional dll files were required to 'run' my mod too.

edit

the files I required were already in there. and are in there now. yet mo says they are not in there. :S

I'm not talking about running the online section, but about running the single player.

like on mental omega there would be a little window which opened, which had buttons allowing you to launch the modded game, or manual etc. then you would click the launch modded game button, and the modded game would launch.

which is the same as xcc mods.

my mod works exactly the same. however when you click launch modded game, it instead opens the normal single player launcher, and loads the default game :(

That probably has to do with the fact that CnCNet creates a total mess in the game directory. You'll see that it is full of otherwise compiled files like rules(md).ini and art(md).ini which are crucial for modding. It was a very lazy way of preventing cheaters from modifying the game.  IIRC, the XCC Mod Launcher extracts all the files it holds temporarily once you launch the mod, and deletes them when YR is closed (saw that with my own eyes in earlier versions of MO). Solution - remove all files that may conflict with your mod.

Also, disable Origin for RA2 and YR. Installing these might help: http://bibber.eu/downloads/cnc-ultimate-collection-launchers/

That's cool. So I can mod yuris revenge single player like a loonatic, then load cncnet online and play normally?

If you mod, just back up your files incase, as when you play online your edits may get overwritten.  Like nyer said it should be fine, just backup changes and try.

I just uninstalled everything, reinstalled red alert 2 and yuris revenge from origin. so no cncnet in the folder. tried to run mods. nothing. no mental omega. none of my mods. nothing.

anyone else got any ideas?

Have you tried xwis' multiplayer-only version? I don't think any mods will work with the cncnet version because you can't even do a simple rules.ini edit, due to anti-cheat coding. Not that that's a bad thing.

If you're computer savvy and you love your older games like RA2 that much, and you still have a copy of Win7, I would suggest to do what I've done for my nephew and dual boot his Win10 with Win7. Just make sure that you have a different serial number for Win7 (you probably won't if you upgraded from win7 to win10), otherwise it might not work. And also Win7 drivers. If all goes well, you will have very little to no problems running RA2/YR and other older games. If you know what you're doing, it shouldn't take too long. If you've never dual booted before, and you're afraid to mess up, don't do it.

You know what, fuck it. That's the cowards way out; research it some more until you're confident. Then do it. Why put up with incompatibilities, workarounds, 'fixes', not to mention constant updates that you can't stop, when there's a better option. But admittedly there are some pretty cool free Win10 apps and games though, so dual boot to get the best of both worlds.

Annoyingly I had to upgrade from 7 to 10. So I will probably have the same number.

But also I have no idea where to begin on running 2 operating systems. I can barely run one XD

I'm pretty sure that the problem lies in the fact that origins opens a window which asks wheather you want to run ra2 or yr.

Is there a way to install red alert 2 from disk when you have no soviet disk, only an allied disk?

Just so everyone knows, I'm crying inside.

Am I the only person who got ra2 and yr from origin but can't run mods?

Xwis doesn't run it either. :( so uninstalled everything (again) and just installed the ra2 and yr as standard. No cncnet or xwis or ini files or anything.  But still nothing.

Agh.