Cannot connect to CnCNet using virtual machine

overseer

Question

10 answers to this question

I split this from another topic.

I've heard other people connecting fine in VM's before. Are you able to connect to GameSurge using a normal IRC client from the VM (mIRC, XChat etc.)?

Edit: I just tested myself. Other IRC clients work, CnCNet does not. I guess Funky can explain why.

Same here, couldn't connect either (a while ago now). I tried to connect with 2 different VMs: Win 8.1 and Win 10 (not at the same time). I don't think the problem was on my end because I could connect to xwis through both a VM and it's host operating system at the same time. And I have no problems connecting to cncnet (non vm).

*EDIT: YR

At a guess, are the guest OS's using NAT to share the networking of the host? Try it with bridged networking instead.

I've tried that and every other option there (bridged, bridged-replicated, NAT, host only and custom). I don't get why it doesn't work because I can connect to the internet and browse around with both the host and guest at the same time. My guess is that the admins (or one of them) intentionally blocked VMs from connecting to cncnet intentionally to prevent multiple connections by one person. If they did, I'm sure they had a good reason.

Hi,

I have the same Problem. No connection possible within virtualbox.

But i do not think the connection is blocked at the server.

If I try to play a LAN Game it does not work, too.

Even if I use a local running IRC-Sever (with Server=<IP> in the cncnet5.ini).

I think the problem is, that cncnet5.exe dose not really try to make a connection.

Normally, if there is really no connection, you can see:

"try to connect to server XY1"

a few seconds later

"try to connect to server XY2"

and so on ...

But within the virtual machine, this does not appear.

I tried an older version of cncnet5.exe.

With the older version the connect to the local IRC-Server is possible.

With the older version the connect to the "Internet-Sever" is possible, too. But get I kicked, I guess because of the old version. (?)

(With the older version I can specify the port (e.g. 6667) to connect to. The newer Version does not ask for the port.)

It would be very nice, if someone could help us, to get cncnet5 connecting withn a virtual machine.

I tried over several hours, every possible setting.

Thanks

Wega

I have done a lot of testing again. I still can't get a connection.

-> CnCNet should not be aware, that it runs in a virtual environment.

-> I can't see a reason why it shoult not work.

The only thing I could think:

The programmer did it with intent?

But why should he do this?

And how could he do this?

And there is no error message, ... nothing ... just the same annoying "...connencting...". No hint, where the reason is.

==> Does anyone know the Programmer? I would like to ask, if this is done with intent?

Or does it make sense to do further testings?

I still don't want to give up :-)

This is actually not true. I've seen some threads on StackOverflow on "how to detect if you're inside a VM", and one of the things that popped up there is that some functions of some programs simply fail when ran from VM for some reason. This is definitely not intentional; the cncnet people have no reason to block something like that.

This is actually not true. I've seen some threads on StackOverflow on "how to detect if you're inside a VM", and one of the things that popped up there is that some functions of some programs simply fail when ran from VM for some reason. This is definitely not intentional; the cncnet people have no reason to block something like that.

what are those "there is that some functions of some programs"? the programme is no able to identify them and make it work for vm?