CnCNet discussion; future features

Nyerguds

Question

WChat makes an ini file it sends to the game somehow. I don't think it's actually saved on disk though. It's just its game setup info as ini format.

Never really looked into that; WChat is one of these messy exceptions in C&C of which you see they were added afterwards. I still haven't figured out the entire way it skips the intro screens and menu. Even the -LAN option I added for cncnet can't skip the first-time game launch intro.

19 answers to this question

WChat makes an ini file it sends to the game somehow. I don't think it's actually saved on disk though. It's just its game setup info as ini format.

Never really looked into that; WChat is one of these messy exceptions in C&C of which you see they were added afterwards. I still haven't figured out the entire way it skips the intro screens and menu. Even the -LAN option I added for cncnet can't skip the first-time game launch intro.

That's an easy fix, since I can make it so that the conquer.ini syncing code in cncnet can just set it to not show.

But I guess I should get the program working again before I start messing about with big new features like that.

well, i dont think it is the local where i can ask it but...

You can put a option to disable the viceroid spawning on local and online playing? viceroids can ruin your game, distructing construction when you starting building your base...

pichorra... that thread my sig links to exists for a reason. Post your suggestions in there.

I know the code that spawns the dinos in MP when you got Funpark enabled... pretty sure the visceroid is in there too. Multiplayer game options are still not possible though, since I don't know how to send them to the other players. The best I can do for now is make it a rules.ini option. See the 1.06b dev thread for more on that.

In a future version of CnCNet, I hope to take the game launching out of the game UI to a windows dialog (much like WChat).

Once I've done that I can have settings from the host's conquer.ini synced with all of the other users in a game.

This would allow a lot more multiplayer options to be available (such as setting player number, allowing passworded games, maybe a ladder, etc)

This probably won't happen for a while though, since I'll need to do some research into jumping straight into a game (Maybe using the WChat interfaces)

How so? I already added the -lan parameter. I know where the LAN defaults are loaded, so I can always rig those to an ini file for you if you want. I can even make sure you can give that as command line parameter behind -lan. PRetty sure I can copy the -cd ssytem, though I'd put an = between it: -lan=c:\path\inifile.ini).

This way you can even keep the config ini it in the cncnet folder and just link to the full path.

I think you'll have to use some method to convert the path to DOS name format though; the -cd parameter doesn't seem to support paths with spaces in it, even with quotes around it.

[edit]

Or you just save it in the C&C folder as cncnet.ini, and start C&C with

C&C95 -LAN=cncnet.ini

The ini won't be read unless it's fed to the game anyway :)

haha, sorry! it's a skill :P

But I might as well post a roadmap.

Milestone 1 - Expected around xmas/ny

• Perform necessary rewrites to get it back online

Milestone 2 - Maybe shortly after

• Re-implement my options dialog - Cleaner than the existing menu setup
  • If not already done as part of M1 - implement myg's distributed model
  • C&C version check = ensure everyone is running the latest version of C&C95

Milestone X - possible future feature ideas

• Move the mission setup to a windows dialog outside of the game - would allow for a more customisable games
    • Passworded games
    • Imposed player limits (e.g. 1v1)
    • Forced resolution size? (For tournaments maybe)
    • Pointless but fun feature - people could choose their custom team colours and have every user see them (Nyer's colours mod)
    • Could display ping of users
    • Could link to an online database of users and show other info (e.g. country)

[*]Simple messaging system - chat to other people online in order to get games started

[*]Implement in-game IM (e.g. /msg Irony hey, how'd your game go)

[*]Implement a username system to prevent people pretending to be someone else

[*]Implement a score ladder

• Could implement ranks
    • Could then possibly implement a matchmaking system for people of equal skill
    • Allow ladder-ranked and non-ranked games, so people can dick about

[*]Implement a distributed map pack - every user has the same set of maps

More ideas if I think of any :P

hmm... i think cncnet will be ready on 2010! 17 days to the new year!

well, but, irony, if you implement the WChat module, show ping will  be nothing, with wchat i can play from here (south america) at you (europe) or someyone on asia wihout lag, or a little, on cncnet, i play of brazil at argentina it lag a little.