Limit cpu usage

kaspro

C&C1 and RA1 were originally made for non-multitasking systems, meaning no one gave a damn if they used 100% of your CPU. Because of that, the easiest way to slow down a game is to throw some extra calculations to your CPU so it is slower in doing everything.

They patched out a bunch of that stuff, using more efficient timing methods instead, so your background processes don't start stuttering because you're running a 20-year-old game :P

What AndrewFord and Nyerguds said is true, Red Alert, cnc95 and dune 2000 had no real limiter and were using 100% of one core all the time. The main problem with it was the overheating, if the cpu was getting too hot then it would throttle down and the game started to lag. But the feature is also nice for notebooks, now you can play much longer time while on batteries. We enabled this now by default for all 3 games on every new installation

I couldn't use my FPS limiter from dune 2000 since the games already had a limiter, it's the sync_delay function. So I just inserted a sleep there and also in a sleep in every dialog like westwood did in the WOL dialog. We got the repos moved now since bitbucket had that annoying 5 user limit, I can give you access if you wanna look

yeah, we had to add/remove everyone there non stop since all repos were full

I just let the game do the math, it will continue to call the input function while it waits to waste some time, so I just inserted a sleep there, this also slowed down the scrollrate