[WHAT DO YOU USE]: Sweetener or Sugar?

SiRaLeX

Hey guys,

Just wondering, what you guys use to sweeten up your life? Artificial sweetener or real sugar?

Artificial sweetener ain't optimal. A lot of sweeteners (except Sucralose for me) have a rather disgusting bitter aftertaste that can ruin certain foods. Needless to say artificial sweeteners are (toxic) chemicals that just happen to taste sweet to our tongue, although perception may differ between people. Also some artificial sweeteners are used in pigs to make them eat more. =\

Overall I'd go with sugar nearly every time.

What about you?!

What the hell are "Quaker Oats"? Just regular oats? Do you add milk to your oats and then microwave them?! You Americans are weird as fuck!

I've got honey in the kitchen I didn't use in a while. I wonder if it's still good, but then again, honey never spoils. I'm gonna try the honey in the oats thingy. But I never microwave my oats so I suspect the honey won't really dissolve and will clump.

Thanks, will try it with boiling milk! =]

Although I just ate oats, I put the oats in bowl and add milk. No cooking, no heating. So I'm curious how the american way to make oatmeal tastes.  :o

It sure will be a lot soakier and mushier, but I like that. Sometimes I let my oats sit in milk for some time to make them soft before I eat them.

I used to use sugar all the time, but sugar = more inappropriate calories for me, and gets turned into body fat if not used up as an energy source so i would use sweetener / calorie free syrups to add sweet taste to foods /drinks IF needed.

The only one I use, is a sweet cream calorie free Waldens coffee syrup now :) or calorie free waldens syrup for my cottage cheese shakes on an evening - chocolate, caramel, strawberry flavours all delicious

125g cottage cheese, 300ml of almond milk, and a nice bit of waldens chocolate or caramel syrup ------ blend it all up....... its delicious and a slow release natural casein protein for night time :D

Do you put it in a blender or just a shaker with a "blender ball"?!

• 2 weeks later...

all-natural steviol glycoside, from the stevia plant.

Do you get that in powder form or liquid, but since you said "steviol glycoside" I guess you mean the liquid that you can buy in supermarket?  :O  Doesn't it taste a bit bitter to you?

Fuck aspartame though. That stuff is nasty.

Indeed.  :devil:

Do you get that in powder form or liquid, but since you said "steviol glycoside" I guess you mean the liquid that you can buy in supermarket?  :O  Doesn't it taste a bit bitter to you?

The glycosides are purely the chemical components involved; it has no relation with how they're sold. I personally have it as a liquid concentrate in a bottle with a pipette; a few drops is enough to sweeten a full cup. We got an actual stevia plant around here somewhere too, though. As for bitterness, it depends, actually. Of the different glycosides in the plant, Rebaudioside tastes better than Stevioside, but it's used less in commercial sweeteners since it makes up a smaller percentage inside the plant, inevitably making it cost more.

My sister did research on stevia as part of her studies, and the work of her professor (which she helped on) actually helped legalize stevia as food additive in the EU. Though apparently Coca-Cola lobbied for it a lot too, to get more independence from the sugar industry. An increasing number of soft drinks here are flavoured largely with stevia. (Lipton Ice Tea Green being my favourite)

The only disadvantage to stevia is that it has this odd delay on the sweet taste (a bit like how spicy things don't sting right away). It takes a second or two before you perceive it as tasting sweet, which is why it's often combined with a bit of normal sugar, or other sweeteners.

Honey is awesome, though. Love me some honey in my coffee  :cncsmirk:

If i cant put honey, i put maple syrup, if i cant put maple syrup i just go for brown sugar. I hate sweeteners like aspartame or sucralose.

I love me some ice tea flavored with honey.

Also: How to make some of the best oatmeal according to my book and actually many others.

1. Get a pack of quaker oats (Its a brand) preferably with sugar dinosaurs (Sadly, canadian only. Or maybe even quebec only. You will have to import it if its not in the nearest supermarkets.)

2. Open the pack and put some brown sugar.

3. Add maple syrup. Preferrably the fresh kind even if its hard to get.

4. Add some milk if you want and taste to see if its good or you should add more things like maple syrup.

And now you have made quaker oats brown sugar and maple syrup but with better quality and maybe dinosaurs.

Stevia facts.

I should try stevia and see what it tastes like. It can maybe help to make the ambrosia of the oatmeal world.

It's a kind of... subtle sweet taste. You seem to be going more for the MOAR SWEETNESS! if I'm interpreting that recipe correctly XD

Well, umm, not sure which brand I had but the last time I bought liquid Stevia sweetener like 2 years ago, to me it didn't taste good and I didn't like it at all. The bitter aftertaste was the worst.

I guess it's possible to make a better tasting Stevia sweetener by having more of the good tasting compounds. So I'm not sure, is it best to stay away from the cheap ones or do all commercial liquid Stevias contain the same shit anyway and it doesn't matter which you get?