New Terrain Issues

ROB

I experience a game crash each time I attempt to load a map with a theater of: bar, win, jun, des. I edited main.mix to add each of the new theaters. The version of ra95.exe I am using is V303P-I BETA1v1.

I also tried the exe from http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/# and that also crashed. If I use ra95-spawn.exe the new terrains will load. However, the menu for that exe appears on the top left. And no scores will play regardless scores.mix in the directory.

What I found strange is that I had the options to create maps using the new theaters with RAED but I had to add the theater mix files myself to main.mix. Why were they not already there?

RA1installer is mainly meant for playing the unmodified single player, everything else goes via cncnet. So you need to add all the extra stuff on your own if you plan to mod it.

Tschokky probably has the executable for all theaters in his mod, I don't have it anymore

What do you mean by adding extra stuff on my own? I don't have the technical skill to modify exes if that's what your talking about.

Anyhow it looks like the exe Allen262 linked to is what i'm looking for.

But what is ra95spawn for?

I was under the impression everything was integrated, I cant keep track of all these different exes :S

If you like to have a modded singleplayer then you got to get the exe of your choice and add all the theaters and other mod files :P

For Skimish/Online/LAN via cncnet everything is included and ready for new multiplayer maps with custom theaters.

Note: the original single player doesn't use custom theaters, that's why there is no need to have it working in there. Like I said, it's mainly meant for the original single player and cncnet for everything else.

The executable Tschokky is using should be the latest one from irans patch but with support for the new theaters on top.

ra95-spawn is for cncnet, don't use it for single player! (it's a pure multi player build)

If you like to have a modded singleplayer then you got to get the exe of your choice and add all the theaters and other mod files :P

Oh, well yeah I did that  :P

Just having trouble getting the correct exe

So i been trying to mod a game install thats meant for cncnet it sounds like. I already tried the exe from http://iran.cnc-comm.com/ra/ and it crashed too but i'll try that entire game directory instead of only the exe, although I dont see what difference that would make.

The portable version is R84, I just tried it and Jungle and everything else does work (not bothering with cave right now). But the theater I really want, Barren, does not work! Unfortunately it looks like Tschokky has been MIA since April and the links for that exe are dead. I could always replace something with barren I suppose... but that would make it not really compatible for online play

You could change Jungle to use the Barren files. Extract all of the Barren files from the mix. Change .bar to .jun Re-pack into a mix and name it Jungle.mix

Or

Take the R84 you have and Hex Edit it. Find all JUNGLE in the .exe and change it to BARREN. Change all JUN to BAR. this data should be all in the same area with all of the other theaters.

Below is a copy of my R82 I did the change to. You should be able to play Barren maps fine.

RA95_R82_jug_to_bar.zip

awesome, thanks! Saves me a lot of work. Looks like you got cave working too. I didn't even know you have a campaign mod, I'll try it out today :D

Oh I see you made Co-Op levels, Im attempting that as well

EDIT: Looks like I might need to try hex editing anyway, That exe is not the latest portable RA exe and seems to lack some features, such as parabombs in MP.

But my coop maps (and the whole mod) are not working online, because CNCnet overwrites my mix files. :dry:

:O That exe from portableRA is from august 2014, while that one I use is from 2015 - and without version number - it shows "R????".

Is there a newer one?

The portable RA version up right now is R84 dated 13 Aug 2014. Your exe shows R????. I just tested them both and the parabombs did not appear in MP. It is the RA-Online version that has the parabombs in MP.

Which mix files does CNCNET overwrite? I am mostly curious about the terrain files with all the extra stuff, if those mix files work with CNCNET or if the default ones are needed.

Which RAED did you use to create your maps with the terrain enhancements? I just made RAED.mix files with the enhanced terrain files and they do not load.

I'm kinda stuck right now. I'm ready to make missions, but I cant get RAED to work with any modded files.

EDIT:

Weird..got RAED working now with all the extra theater tiles.

I have no idea what CNCNET dose or dosen't try to replace other than it will leave the spawn.dpxs alone once you add the CustomGame kesy to the cncnet5.ini It has yet to try to mess with the Red Dawn mix files or add any new ones.

My RAED for Red Dawn will look for the Theater mix files (Grass, Snow, Desert, etc) in the main.mix (like the original RAED did). Some version of RAED will look for them in the RAED.mix. RAED will NOT load Theater mix files from the folder. RAED isn't that smart so it will look for the Theater mix files in the main.mix or RAED.mix.

If I remember right, RAED can only read encrypted mix files, so make sure you use the Mix Editor to add the encryption back. (XCC Mixer will remove it)

I suspected something like that. I fixed it by editing the raed mix files instead of making new ones.

• 3 weeks later...

If I remember right, RAED can only read encrypted mix files, so make sure you use the Mix Editor to add the encryption back. (XCC Mixer will remove it)

What is the filename of this apparent encryption? I editied the raed mix files, deleted nothing that I was not changing and they do not work. Never used XCC mixer to edit, only editor.

I see the .dat files in each MIX, is that the encryption? They are already present in every mix file.

The theater mix files I inserted may be the issue. They are NOT editied versions that came in RAED mix files. They came from elsewhere but I edited with XCC editor, and not mixer.

*Link Removed - No Spoilers!*

I uploaded my Mix files, I have no idea whats wrong with them, if anyone can take a look.

I've looked and the invalid mix error is from the RAED.mix > conquer.mix. First is that RAED can't read any new con yard (fact.shp) you add. XCC can't get the file size down like WestWood did so any fact.shp but for the stock one will error in RAED if you use the full 52 frames. For Red Dawn I made the fact.shp only use 1 frame that RAED reads. The game will read its own fact.shp with the full 52 frames.

Next the conquer.mix looks to be missing .shp files. fire1 and fire2 are missing and other may be as well.

Thanks for the suggestions Nyerguds and Allen. Never bothered to click that options button, I see it now :dry:

I knew about fire 1 and 2, re-added them since. I had no idea about the con yard though.

I should be able to get it working today now. I been making missions with default RAED and figure it would just be easier with my own version.

I did not know RAED does not read names from conquer.eng. Looks like I'll need to Hex edit RAED.exe after all. GHEX looks self explanatory, think I'm figuring it out. Do I need to change the Hexadecimal, Octal, and Binary for each character I'm changing? That will take forever.

GHEX wont let me change any values, Raed is not set to read only. Youtube videos don't seem to help, GHEX documentation is very out of date and useless. Any suggestions?

OMG...NVM...got it :laugh: so simple, over thinking per usual. Test one worked, Just a process now.