Red Alert 1 Demo

MrFlibble

Yeah I saw those, but in my opinion a demo should not contain anything (aside from ads or something trivial like that) that won't appear in the full game. I'd consider it cheating towards those who buy the game (think about Westwood and their infamous photoshoped screenshots). Demos can be downloaded even if you buy the full game, yes, but what's the point?

Well, many pre-release demos inevitably contain something that will not be found in the full game. As for different levels, like in the Age of Empires or Warcraft II demos, the features of the respective games are all there, so why should this be cheating? You get the impression of the game, with the added bonus that you will not have to play through the very same three or four first missions when you buy the full version.

@Mrflibble is it just water sound which is different or have you noticed any others (illl find out for my self soon)

Only im trying to gather together all the official content which is missing from fully patched/English RA and TS.

Sorry I did not reply immediately, I wanted to check something before replying, because for some reason it seemed to me that the demo title screen lacked the Westwood logo in the top left corner, but it turned out not to be the case. So yeah, there are no differences other then those I listed above.

Then again, they are usually deliberately made easier in the demo.

Actually, it depends. C&C and RA demo missions are made laughably easy, but others aren't. The missions in Warcraft: Orcs & Humans, for example, are almost completely identical to their full version counterparts, and the Warcraft II demo campaigns are, although with different maps and briefings, comparable to the first acts of each full version campaign. The same applies to the Age of Empires (1 & 2), Starcraft and Warcraft III, where the difficulty curve in the demo campaigns is not much different from that in the respective full games.

A good idea implemented in some demos is to have one tutorial level, and at least one "regular" level with moderate difficulty.

I agree with MrFibble, I don't really like having to replay a mission after it has been included in the demo, especially later missions which are (normally) more challenging and take longer to complete.

Another bonus of the "separate demo content" approach is that in many cases, it's not that easy to fit parts of the full game into a shorter demo and make it look neat. For example, if we take the C&C demo, the gap between the first and the second mission (them being #1 and #10 in the full campaign) is very noticeable, not to mention that if you got the briefing videos, the beginning of the second mission briefing is full of non sequiturs concerning the cut U.N. funding plot line which is itself left entirely off-screen in the demo. Likewise, the third GDI mission in the same demo contains a spoiler for the full game, where the point is that you do not know that the Airfield is the actual objective (potentially leading you to the optional mission 7), while the demo briefing openly states that you need to destroy the Airfield.

If you make a separate storyline for the demo campaign, on the other hand, this problem is easily avoided (although to be fair, using an uniterrupted sequence of levels from the full game, e.g. the first 3-5 levels, is also a neat solution to the problem).

Also, it is my understanding that at least in some cases, the "extra content" put in the demos is actually "recycled" content that was cut from the full version.