News from the C&C Community! Late May and early June edition!

Tore

This year has been a bad year for C&C. The flop that was C&C4, the resignation of long time CnC DEN webmaster Lion and EA's RTS Community Manager APOC. (Where is the new one by the way?) For many the news stream seem to have clogged, this is far from the truth as there are a lot of news circulating around with or without EA.

We need news posters!

The first story of the day is that C&C Comm Center is yet again in need of news posters. A news posters job is to look around for any C&C/Dune thing that may be of interest and post about it, it's not a very hard job and you are not required to post everyday or even week like certain other C&C websites.

New awesome C&C: Rewire pictures!

Gangster posted some new screenshots of C&C: Rewire a few weeks ago one showing off Rewire's Ares enhanced features.

Here are two of the screenshots:

rewireholo.png

rewirebuildings.png

You can see the rest here and here.

Ares 0.1 has been released!

The "next generation in Yuri's revenge modding" has been released! Ares, known as RockPatch 2 is a dll that integrates additional functionality into YR extending the modding possibilities of the engine while also fixing some of the bugs Westwood left behind. Ares is different from other older YR patches because 1: It isn't a modified exe file and 2: It has a fairly extensive documentation. Note that Ares 0.1 is an early version and only a taste of what's to come!

Invasion Confirmed May Demo released!

Invasion Confirmed is a mod that adds all factions of the Red Alert series into Generals Zero Hour in a catoonish style. The factions are: RA1 Soviets, RA1 Allies, RA1 Ants, RA2 Allies, RA2 Soviets, RA2 Yuri, RA3 Allies, RA3 Soviets and RA3 Japanese!

That's all I wanted to say! This is Tore saying: "All, move to Mammoth Tank, 12 o'clock!"

We need news posters!

Im still here btw maybe we need to have a chat about this subject ;) (however i refuse to touch any thing Yuri's Revenge Related, i will however be happy to comment on any thing Related to RA2 with no expansion pack)

-

At first i thought it was just one picture :P

AND you forgot to mention that that stuff is ON THE RA2 ENGINE

C&C: Rewire a few weeks ago one showing off Rewire's Ares enhanced features.

The "next generation in Yuri's revenge modding" has been released! Ares

1. The order was wrong for that to be clear

2. The amazing thing about Rewire isn't just what he does there, but that it's not just modding TS but a complete remake on YR. Just mentioning that it's on Ares isn't enough :P

I can't figure out what that Ares thing does?

Its an exe patch for YR which adds in new features for modders to use[/bug fixes?] (like ETS, the Hyper patch and sort Nyerguds cnc1 patch) but it uses a different way of making these updates (unlike ETS/Hyper/Nyerguds) so its doesnt  patch the exe directly

It's not an exe patch... that's the beauty of Ares. It's a debugger which links custom bits of (external DLL) code into specific addresses of the exe, while it's running.

What is the diference? (sorry for the ignorant question)

Everything is 1.5 times larger in RA2. Everything you see there has been remade from nothing. It's a complete remake from his own 3D models. None of it is simply taken from TS.

yes in terms of features (think is more new features), but they are completely different in other respects

An example could be editing the CnC DOS game.dat to get unlimited money [Nyerguds/Hyper's patches] compaired to using a trainer which doesnt edit the original files but still gives you unlimited money [Ares]

^I know its not 100% accurate however it gives people a basic idea.

well the idea behind Ares is that any mods can make and link in their own bits of custom code without needing a modified RA2YR exe file. So without real hacking they can do the same things we hackers can do.

as nice an idea as this sounds i have my dought as to how many modders attempt to donate/create things for there mod. 99% of the ares user ive come across just wait for the next version and simply put ideas forward for others to attempt do so and i have heard on no projects where someone has said "ive done this to allow this all thanks to Syringe allowing me to inject code into the game" and i get the feeling there isnt much support for people doing this (like they are treating it as an exe patch) although i may be wrong.

What kind of stuff can be achieved by it?

Or are there hooks into everything you'd want to be able to edit?

For example, allow a complete change of the superweapon logic? (First hardcoded thing I could think of)

Or are there hooks into everything you'd want to be able to edit?

Basically you just tell it to hook the code from a certain dll up to a certain internal address. It's just like making it jump to your own exe section in an external file. Not sure how exactly it makes the difference between calling the external address or jumping to it, but IIRC both are supported, in some way.