Jump to content

Is this game freeware?


RoadToZion
 Share

Recommended Posts

  • 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-31 at 6:21 PM, Plokite_Wolf said:

Dune 2000 was never officially released as freeware. However, it seems to be in copyright hell like the other Dune games, and Gruntmods uses this situation by releasing their own version of it (compatible with CnCNet): https://www.gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

Is this game safe to download and how many gigabytes or megabytes are required to download?

Edited by KirovAirship101
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 year later...
On 5/31/2017 at 1:21 PM, Plokite_Wolf said:

Dune 2000 was never officially released as freeware. However, it seems to be in copyright hell like the other Dune games, and Gruntmods uses this situation by releasing their own version of it (compatible with CnCNet): https://www.gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

So this basicly means that they recreated the game and it's okay to download with no concquenses?

Edited by DaMadman001
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, DaMadman001 said:

So this basicly means that they recreated the game and it's okay to download with no concquenses?

Re-creating a video game doesn't avoid consequences or override copyright laws. If this was the case, I'd be borrowing money from the bank to re-create every classic I can think of and make millions! :D

I'm not too sure but I think all the rights would have been passed on to Electronic Arts since they bought out Westwood Studios (Dune 2k's developer) years ago. But even so, unless Gruntmods starts making money off of Dune 2k (and I mean a serious amount of money), EA will not bother getting it's legal team to take any sort of action as it's a waste of their time and money.

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, DaMadman001 said:

they recreated the game

They didn't. They just patched it and changed a few things around.

 

6 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

I'm not too sure but I think all the rights would have been passed on to Electronic Arts since they bought out Westwood Studios (Dune 2k's developer) years ago. But even so, unless Gruntmods starts making money off of Dune 2k (and I mean a serious amount of money), EA will not bother getting it's legal team to take any sort of action as it's a waste of their time and money.

They would've if they had the rights. When it comes to Dune games, nobody has the rights, since they used a third-party licensed, and that third party was the Herbert estate that effectively banned the use of the license in all commerical video- and board games in the early 2000s. Nobody can pick the license up: the Herbert estate didn't make the games, EA isn't allowed to sell, support, or claim anything Dune-related. Hence, there is zero consequence for fans to distribute them freely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

They would've if they had the rights. When it comes to Dune games, nobody has the rights, since they used a third-party licensed, and that third party was the Herbert estate that effectively banned the use of the license in all commerical video- and board games in the early 2000s. Nobody can pick the license up: the Herbert estate didn't make the games, EA isn't allowed to sell, support, or claim anything Dune-related. Hence, there is zero consequence for fans to distribute them freely.

I don't understand; fans can distribute the games... but EA cannot? And how about for profit? If Gruntmods, or anybody else for that matter, were to sell Dune 2k, will they be sued? And by who, Frank Herbert's family? Does someone need to ressurect Westwood in order to sue? I really can't wrap my head around it ?

Edited by fir3w0rx
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, fir3w0rx said:

I don't understand; fans can distribute the games... but EA cannot?

Basically, what the fans are doing is glorified piracy from a legal standpoint, it's just that nobody can sue, because that would mean that the one who sues owns the rights to the games, and right now nobody fits the description.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 months later...

Admin,

can we make these link to the following in Community?

http://dune2k.com/Duniverse/

https://www.dunenovels.com/

https://gruntmods.com/dune_2000_gruntmods_edition/

http://dune.wikia.com/wiki/Dune_2000_(video_game)

https://forum.dune2k.com/forum/11-dune-2000/

It links in CnC Communications Center https://cnc-comm.com/dune-2000, Yet no downloads,

it would just seem easier in one place.

Just trying to get a Dune 2020 into The Remaster.

Edited by Tiberian Son
Links
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 years later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...