emperor battle for dune

glorsh66

It's quite strange that this game is so unpopular. I know it always was that way (And why? Quite beautifully looking game, different units for each faction.)

is there any possibility of fixing game and adding it to this servers?

Its engine is unoptimized, the units lack functional distinction apart from the Leech, the maps are criminally cramped, and the AI isn't particularly smart.

I would like to see it come to CnCNet, though. Apart from usual LAN emulators, its only true server is XWIS, and there's nobody on.

Emperor isn't available digitally, which makes it a little more obscure than the other C&C/Westwood RTS games. As far 3D C&C games go, it's stuck between Generals, which is popular and has 1,000 mods, and TW/RA3, which are younger and a lot more polished.

Regarding unit roster... for a game developed this late, it's quite bizarre. E.g. there's the Ordos Laser Tank, which is superior to almost everything else, the Leech, which is an AI killer, and the Sonic Tank, which STILL BLOWS UP YOUR OWN STUFF. Including other Sonic Tank. They did that right with the TS Disruptor Tank; why didn't they do it right in Emperor?

10 hours ago, TaxOwlbear said:

Emperor isn't available digitally, which makes it a little more obscure than the other C&C/Westwood RTS games.

Neither is Dune 2000, officially anyway :P

As far 3D C&C games go, it's stuck between Generals, which is popular and has 1,000 mods, and TW/RA3, which are younger and a lot more polished.

How so? It was released before Generals even entered pre-production.

They did that right with the TS Disruptor Tank; why didn't they do it right in Emperor?

'cause it was Intelligent Games doing the bulk of the work, not Westwood. Westwood was busy making Renegade and a ton of other subpar stuff :P

7 hours ago, Plokite_Wolf said:

Neither is Dune 2000, officially anyway :P

Yeah, but that happens to be easily accessible... ;)

How so? It was released before Generals even entered pre-production.

I mean that Generals is old but popular, whereas Emperor never had that popularity in my experience. There's not community to keep it alive, whereas Generals has a huge community considering how old it is.

'cause it was Intelligent Games doing the bulk of the work, not Westwood. Westwood was busy making Renegade and a ton of other subpar stuff :P

*shakes fist*

Ah yes. EbfD.

It lacks macro.
Why?

Because they wanted to enhance micro.

But failed IMHO.

Besides, money was practically infinite. While building an army was as slow as possible. If this game is ever going to see the light, it has to be rebuild from scratch.

• 2 weeks later...
On 30/07/2017 at 5:59 PM, X3M said:

Ah yes. EbfD.

It lacks macro.
Why?

Because they wanted to enhance micro.

But failed IMHO.

Besides, money was practically infinite. While building an army was as slow as possible. If this game is ever going to see the light, it has to be rebuild from scratch.

no. money was not infinite. economies could easily be ruined with atreides drones or harkonnen gunships if controlled by competent players.

both macro and micro in this game is great. spamming ctrl+shift all the time didn't cut it as it forces your army to walk in a line and spread thin. good players always surrounded your army with a very fine unit control (200 + units...), knew when to retreat and how to pull forces together.

no idea what you mean by slow army building. all production was capped by 3, but it still was fast enough to build 200 units.

too bad that cnc net doesn't support this game. it really had a lot of unique and interesting strategies going for it. by far my favorite cnc multiplayer game.

some gameplay i recorded a very long time ago if you guys are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d73Ee_-0_G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3iaIlKdycgg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqt4MaKEvdY

Edited by xe3

• 3 weeks later...