Gray bar on Tiberian Sun menu?

Bengolly

I loaded the Tiberian Sun/Firestorm with the installer provided on this site and it seemed to load fine.  However, when I try to start the game and select anything from the menu (like new campaign) I only see a vertical gray bar.  If I click around the bar I can hear it selecting something, but I can't see anything.

The strange thing is, when I print out a screen shot it shows me what I should be seeing (the window with the difficulty slider and the ok/cancel buttons), not what I actually see on my screen.  :huh:

Can anyone help with this?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 1 month later...

I have the exact same issue, very disappointing.

I "installed" the one from the EA site, did the registry edits, set compatability mode to XPSP2 and everything else.  Eventually got it going and got this grey bar issue.  Removed it and installed the installer version but got the same issue.

The laptop's brand new so I think the graphics should be up to date (standard intel HD on a Core i3) but don't know where to look for updates (Packard Bell web site is down).

Anyone got any thoughts?

Did notice one strange thing - I went to take a print screen of this and when I pasted it, everything was fine - the menu was there!! Sure enough when I went back to the program it was there.  When I press the Windows key to get out of C&C and back to Windows the menu flashes up, and remains there til I come back. Sadly, when I open a new menu from that one I have to repeat everything again - tedious to say the least.

Try to use ArsClip to get an screenshot of the problem. Just open the program (it does not need instalation), take a screenshot, paste in paint and send to us. This tool seems to capture what you are seeing in the screen.

Also, Did anyone know what resolution TS run by default? I think it is 640x400. If you open SUN.INI and edit the resolution to 640x480 or 800x600. should work. Maybe your videocard do not support "Broken Resolutions".

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I'm here to speak about the same issue that happened to me tonight.

I've downloaded the game and put it on my C:/ folder, set the compatibility to Windows XP SP2, but when I run the game, the menu is glitched and I can only see a gray bar in the middle.

Also, when I take a screenshot, it looks normal, but I can't perform it.

My computer is an HP laptop with an IntelCore i3 CPU and I use Windows Seven 64bit.

All the drivers are up to date.

I've tried to resize my own screen to 800x600 and run the game with it, nothing changes.

Thanks a lot for your help !

@ beano and slade do you know what graphics hardware your laptop/computer has? It is possible that simple your graphics chipset doesnt support TS properly (i belive Tore had some problem like this which resulted in poor game play)

The only soulutions i can think of is trying to reinstall your video drivers and/or checking you have no background/ desktop programs running which may be causing the glitch.

@ Pichorra and Nyerguds, Offtopic but i had to turn down the graphics from high to 8 bit Acer computer (dont know what the graphics card is, think its intergrated) to stop that bug appearing every where, menus and in game.

@ beano and slade do you know what graphics hardware your laptop/computer has? It is possible that simple your graphics chipset doesnt support TS properly (i belive Tore had some problem like this which resulted in poor game play)

The only soulutions i can think of is trying to reinstall your video drivers and/or checking you have no background/ desktop programs running which may be causing the glitch.

My graphics card is Intel HD Graphics.

...i want to know if the error LOOKS LIKE the Dune2000 ones.

Then you usually use a QUESTION MARK. It's rather common to make the difference between a STATEMENT and a QUESTION :P

Wrong Button.

Slade: Try to do what Revolutionary says, try to low the graphics performance, you can do that Editing SUN.INI, In the [Options], add a Line:

DetailLevel=1

Where "DetailLevel" can Be 0 for Low, 1 for Medium, and 2 for High.

[edit]

I've founded the "VideoBackBuffer" option in Game.exe code, Slade, you can put that too into SUN.INI into [Options] and [Video] , since i don't know where it should be puted.

VideoBackBuffer=1

if those things works, please let we know.

Okay so I tried to change the .ini file to see if anything goes better when I launch the menu. Nothing happened, I still have this eerie gray bar in the middle of the menu. I've closed my post-it note to check if it was disturbing the game's resolution, it didn't. I have set the graphics on Low, Medium and High (thanks to your "DetailLevel" linecode), no sign of improvement.

However I've noticed that when I press the Start button for Windows and when I go back to the game, the gray bar suddenly turns into the selectable menu I've been looking for. This would be good news if I could select anything on the menu, it looks like it is on a "standing still mode", I can't see if I pick up the GDI or the NOD campaign on whatever difficulty I want to, so I don't want to imagine what would it be if I'd like to play a Skirmish map.

I've closed every program, except Mozilla Firefox and the ones necessary to run my computer, no influence on the game whatsoever.

No, it's not that then.

Hmm, there was a obvious solution to this problem, I just can't seem to remember it.

Consider these things:

- Graphics driver settings

- screen resolution (sun.ini)

- DirectDraw acceleration

- Compatibility settings

Could you also tell us the model of your HP laptop? It's usually near your keyboard, and usually starts with dv [something].