Gray bar on Tiberian Sun menu?

Bengolly

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

From my screen resolution, it was 800 x 600 pixels and I put the game under Windows XP Service Pack 2 compatibility.

Try Windows 98/Me compatibility mode. And try to get the game to your monitors native resolution (1366 x 768) through SUN.ini

Sorry I've disappeared so long.  I found what I've called a "semi solution" to this problem.  It's still not ideal, but it works.  I've blogged about it here: http://nerd.steveferson.com/2011/01/18/solved-cc-tiberian-sun-on-windows-7/

Anyway, I too found that when I went back to Windows (Windows Key) and back into the game the menu was there.  It's not "frozen" as such.  You can still select things, you just can't see what you're selecting.

At first I pressed the windows key every time I clicked to change a setting, so that the menu would be "redrawn" in the new state.  However this wasn't entirely satisfactory.

Luckily I soon discovered that the menu would appear if I scrolled.  I was using a laptop so I scrolled by running my finger down the right hand side of the trackpad (from top to bottom) while the cursor was over part of where the menu should be.  I'm not certain, but I imagine the scoll wheel on a mouse would do the same.

It's not really a fix as such, but hope this helps.

Did you try the ddraw.dll though? A permanent solution always beats a workaround.

I've installed the file on my computer, and when I start the game, everything goes black. I can't see anything.

I think now the only solution is install the game into a virtual machine, like VMWare OR VirtualBox, Do not use virtualpc, it is a crap.

Install VMWare or virtualbox, install windows xp on it, install the Virtual Drivers on it and Install the game, then play it. I did it here to play Dune2k wihout the crap of the 3/4 bug.

BTW, Windows 7 Users can use the XP Mode...

only if you have a flagship version of windows 7 (tonnes of the features they advertise are unavalible to home users and realy fail to see its true use even in the buisness world)

You still need to own an old version of windows to run in a VM BUT xp, windows 98, 2000 and ME  (CE?) should also work AND THE ISSUE ISNT JUST OS RELATED (but more likly on newer) on my homebuilt vista pc it works perfectly where as my prebuilt acer pc it tears. 

Also on a related note:i dont think any of the westwood games were designed to work with a tracker pad on laptops, in fact on my brothers laptop will crash cnc1 if you do any thing with the tracker pad you cant with a mouse.

only if you have a flagship version of windows 7 (tonnes of the features they advertise are unavalible to home users and realy fail to see its true use even in the buisness world)

You still need to own an old version of windows to run in a VM BUT xp, windows 98, 2000 and ME  (CE?) should also work AND THE ISSUE ISNT JUST OS RELATED (but more likly on newer) on my homebuilt vista pc it works perfectly where as my prebuilt acer pc it tears.  

Yes, you will need a Windows XP copy if you do not have "Professional", "Ultimate" or "Enterprise" version of Windows 7. But, nobody said it should be an original one...

Also on a related note:i dont think any of the westwood games were designed to work with a tracker pad on laptops, in fact on my brothers laptop will crash cnc1 if you do any thing with the tracker pad you cant with a mouse.

My coisin plays normally on his Mobile Semptron, he can play with the tracker pad, but it is a crap.

BTW, anyone knows if the DirectDraw Compatibility only works for the Pallete Replacing bug? maybe it can be easly fixed using that. Download This Regs and Apply the TS_DirectDraw_Fix_32.reg for 32-bits OS or the TS_DirectDraw_Fix_64.reg for 64-Bits OS

TS_DDRAW_FIX.zip

• 1 month later...

Did you already tried everything we post here?  :huh:

[edit]

Try this:

- Download This, it is a DirectX 9 Installer, it will add some components from DirectX9 where Micro$oft removed then from DirectX10 and DirectX11.

- Start the Game. If the problem Persist, try the bellow pictures and start the game agan. If the TS do not start, Undo this changes. (note in the "Executar" (or Start in English) it is dxdiag , sorry about the damn ballon.

dx1.PNG.2e1fc359e0b374f35c9eee1bbd24c6da.PNG

dx2.PNG.32f89c8d3978f69e1e39f97fcdcf9095.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

This may sound crazy but... I have the solution.. Atleast it worked for me.

1. right click your desktop and press Graphic properties.

2. Go into basic mode

3. Go to the power tab

4. Change it to maximum performance

5. Run the game

It may seem really dumb... but you know what I had the silver lines on my screen from were the menu was options and sub menus are supose to be but then after changing this it loads the menu perfectly, this also fixes RA2 if your menu didn't load. I found this out when my menu would not fully load only when my laptop was unplugged.

• 1 month later...

hi guys...i have the same problem you reported here...the menu appears always as a gray bar..but if i go back to the desktop and return in-game, i can see the menu..but it's a static one, so i can't see then i change an option (for example, in skirmish i can't see the maps then i change them or all the tags then i take them on\off).

I tryed everything you wrote, even the last solution you post...but it's all useless :(

every time i play and i want to use the menu (and choose an option and open a "submenu") for example close the game or save, i have to go to the desktop and return ingame for see it.

this is "ok" then i play campain, becouse i dont use so much the menu...but play skirmish is impossible...

How can i solve the problem? =(

Always... It seems to be different issues...

Anyway, if it still relate with Power, you can get into your drivers manager, and select somewhere "Full Performance" instead of "Power Saver". I remember that of my Broken notebook (It was a Radeon 9200).

• 2 weeks later...

Has anyone found a fix for this problem, is it a direct x, windows 7 or a hardware issue does anyone know, I have been playing the old C&C games for years until I got a Dell i7 quad core laptop and it will not play TS, very disappointing and I wish I hadn’t sold my old duel core laptop before I discovered this problem because I would have sent the quad core laptop back to Dell and stuck with my old laptop which played TS fine.

Computer spec

210-35446 Inspiron N7110 : Standard Base 1 569.84 569.84 S

200-95360 N11Q1723 1 S

213-14096 Processor : Intel Core i7-2670QM (2.20 Ghz, 6MB, 4C) 1 S

230-11919 Display : 17.3in High Definition+ (1600X900) WLED TrueLife 1 S

490-12720 Graphics : 1 GB nVidia GeForce GT 525M - Quad Core 1 S

319-10665 Camera : Integrated 1.0 Mega Pixel Widescreen HD (1280 x 720) camera 1 S

320-11663 LCD Back Cover : Diamond Black Switch Cover 1 S

340-24923 Ship Accessory : English Docs 1 S

340-24948 Resource DVD : Inspiron N7110 Diagnostics and Drivers 1 S

370-20212 Memory : 4096MB (1x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel 1 S

400-20329 Hard Drive : 500GB Serial ATA (5400RPM) 1 S

641-10043 Windows Live 1 S

429-15792 Optical Drive : 8X DVD+/-RW Drive 1 S

429-15794 Optical Drive : Roxio Creator 10.3 Software 1 S

450-14393 Power Cord : UK 1M 1 S

450-16490 Power Supply : Inspiron 130W AC Adapter 1 S

451-11577 Battery : Primary 6-cell 48W/HR LI-ION 1 S

460-10282 Carry Case : Not Included 1 S

555-13683 Wireless : Europe Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo

583-14867 Keyboard : Internal UK/Irish Qwerty Keyboard 1 S

619-32005 Operating System : English Genuine Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64BIT) 1 S

620-13366 OS Media : MUI Windows 7 SP1 Home Premium (64 BIT) Resource DVD