AchromicWhite

(Wht)Zodiac - 2v2

Inspired by Manu's fantastic map, Circle of Death, I bring you; Zodiac

Key differences include;
-Tiberium used as contention points (Those who expand will reap benefit)
-Terrain to skirmish around in the centre (A DOUNUT ROCK!)
-Sandbags to help you to expand in the direction you choose to (Gives you an idea where you've started)
-No single large tiberium fields (Will help harvesters to path better)
-No paths blocked by tiberium (Troops can go where they like)
-No back doors into tiberium fields (but with more open fronts to the fields)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EDIT: 24/12/17

-Added Blossom Trees
-Extended Tiberium fields in the 4 corners of the map, right out to the very edges.

(Wht)Zodiac.ini

(Wht)Zodiac.bin

posted image

Edited by AchromicWhite
  • Upvote 1

Here's the RA version I just completed. Enjoy!

The first upload is the original without rules, so you can add any sort of modifications you'd like to the map. Second one is Tiberian Alert v2.6!

posted image

zodiac.MPR

TA_zodiac.MPR

• Like 1

Play tested this map.

New and even mid skill level players and even a pro GDI players  just stayed at the start turtleing up.  Till they ran out of cash and died.

The middle gives you no reason to go there so it becomes a fight around the outside only where all the cash is, the middle just becomes barron and unused except for the occasional surprise attack that didnt work since the middle is defended by both players at same time. The outside harvesters dont have that far to travel to get the middle tiberium

Everyone loved the look of it. Everyone was eager to play it. Some didnt like the way it played.

I like the way it looks and how it plays I think for it to become a very popular map it needs some re touches imho

Just giving you feedback to help, as you helped me. Please dont take it as an insult.

I would recommend more starting tiberium, people like to turtle. I mean they didnt even expand to the 1st corner they just sent there harvesters over there.............. AH if it was me I would make the starting positions wider apart so they are right near the corners in between the 1st and the 2nd patch of tiberium.  + With the 2 players further apart the middle will become a better place to attack now as they cant both defend it so easily. It will also be a stronger compulsion to base creep because the next field will be o so close

I would recommend a bigger incentive to use the middle, perhaps tiberium dead centre instead of the circular cliff art? That will give people the right incentive to use the middle. Perhaps ave some cliffs guarding the troops around it so they dont as easily walk over the tiberium so you access it from the sides?

Here I made a quick edit to show you what I recommend or something like it to solve those problems, I wont release this its just a quick thing to show u what I mean.

This way you can build towards each others base as a strategic option also, take the outsides, take the middle, the fight would take place all over the map instead of just the outsides, it would help the turtleing pros and the noobs/GDI players. it still looks pretty its more strategic and dynamic because the fight will be more diverse and random taking place over the whole map

(Wht)ZodiacChemEditrefddf.jpg

Edited by chem
  • Like 1

Well, it sounds like it's suffering from the same issue as Circle Of Death. Circle of Death just also have the patch that ran up the side... but because it was in such a long block, the harvesters go for longer and longer trips (looks fine to the untrained eye, but actually messes up your econ).

Yeah, I was aware that there wasn't a LOT of reason to be in the middle... but it's the fastest direct attack route. So, if you fight for resources, you'll have 2 battles, top and bottom, and if you rush forward, you'll have a big engagement either at the front of their base, or if they come out to meet you, you'll skirmish back and forth around the rock.

3 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

Well, it sounds like it's suffering from the same issue as Circle Of Death. Circle of Death just also have the patch that ran up the side... but because it was in such a long block, the harvesters go for longer and longer trips (looks fine to the untrained eye, but actually messes up your econ).

Yeah, I was aware that there wasn't a LOT of reason to be in the middle... but it's the fastest direct attack route. So, if you fight for resources, you'll have 2 battles, top and bottom, and if you rush forward, you'll have a big engagement either at the front of their base, or if they come out to meet you, you'll skirmish back and forth around the rock.

I thought so, its a great idea, but from what ive played it just becomes a desperation move in the middle, thats fairly easy to defend, since the 2 players are already in place to both defend it at the same time, the whole battle is fought around the outside and the middle conflict does not happen, except in rare occasions

Edited by chem

3 hours ago, AchromicWhite said:

Yeah, no, I'm well aware of what you're describing and was when I released it.

cool man, thanks for the superb map anyway, take care