How to lower the laming in QM?

XXxPrePxX

On 11/24/2018 at 3:25 PM, FlyingMustache said:

It's the game though. That's nobody's fault except the designers

They didn't design the game for the 5℅ leets playing it, but for most ppl like my ex neighbors who enjoyed the engis and other features making the game fun.

3 hours ago, RaVaGe said:

This pretty much shows perfectly that they realised they fucked up the game design in terms of competitive and tried to fix it through the ladder...

???

It was already the case in Ra2, they could change it when they made Yuri.

The mentality of players was totally different, the bail was very unique, and ppl knows 3 mns rules, so don't engi eat. Then you could send engi after these 3 mns. No lamers, players had to play good to be good, and not hoping win with an engi. It was one of the reason why the level was alot better.

I can tell you they don't fucked up, it's the "No 3 mns rules" who fucked up it =p (was same problem on XWIS, some players sucked, but won some games because they engi'ed every game, or tried)

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, LeOwNzAll said:

It was already the case in Ra2, they could change it when they made Yuri.

The mentality of players was totally different, the bail was very unique, and ppl knows 3 mns rules, so don't engi eat. Then you could send engi after these 3 mns. No lamers, players had to play good to be good, and not hoping win with an engi. It was one of the reason why the level was alot better.

I can tell you they don't fucked up, it's the "No 3 mns rules" who fucked up it =p (was same problem on XWIS, some players sucked, but won some games because they engi'ed every game, or tried)

Yeah... a 3 minute bail time solves engi-eating, engi-rushing, and even soviet super-rhino rush. It's really not too bad of an idea. :D 

*Not saying that I think it should be promoted in this day and age after 10 years of doing without it. 

2 hours ago, XXxPrePxX said:

Yeah... a 3 minute bail time solves engi-eating, engi-rushing, and even soviet super-rhino rush. It's really not too bad of an idea. :D

*Not saying that I think it should be promoted in this day and age after 10 years of doing without it. 

At least for the game's 20th birthday a good community patch should be made.

5 hours ago, Hunk said:

They didn't design the game for the 5℅ leets playing it, but for most ppl like my ex neighbors who enjoyed the engis and other features making the game fun.

I'm aware. But that's why the option is available for those "leets" that enjoy the competitive aspect of the game. Among those people, almost all of them greatly dislike that type of low skill gameplay.

I tried to put in a suggestion when QM was being created that certain settings should be set to random and with topics like this constantly floating around, perhaps implementing this probably wouldn't be such a bad idea. It obviously should depend upon the faction matchup--having players be unaware until the game is underway, forcing them to find out the hard way.

Superweapons: Seemed to work out fine on XWIS

Multi-engineer: Always disabled in all vs Yuri matches but 50/50 chance in AvA, AvS and SvS. If ever there's a good way to curtail the laming, this should be it.

No Dog Engi Kills: 50/50 on all maps with tech buildings; always disabled vs Yuri and on non-tech maps

Everyone can agree to some special rules like "no eat", "no rush", "no spy", "no yuri"... etc. etc. But to limit the competitive gameplay is the most stupid idea for 17 years in this game. If you want to change the gameplay in a certain direction or to balance some things, than create an (in)official patch community which frequently balance the game (like it will done in all common games nowadays). But to set a competitive option which restricts some basic movements like engi eating is just a stuid phenomen, arising with XWIS in former days. In the WOL-Ladder and also in the XWIS ladder until 2007, engi eating was part of the game until two sides agreed to them. But it was never a fix defined rule.

In the china community its a standard strategy, so this is the evidence that not the game mechanic is wrong and should be changed, but rather some people of the competitive scene should learn to handle this kind of gameplay. If you don't like it play ffa or play only with people you know and make some agreements.

So in my opinion there are only two appropriate solutions:
1) Let the competitive game as it is (the optional game settings for ffa-games can be further used)
2) Create a "Patch-Community", consisting of 2-3 TOP-players (which changing all 2-3 months), 2-3 high-experienced players (like Ron, Chandler etc.), and the admins, coders of cncnet. So you can frequently make some balance changes which bring more variety and fairness into the game. For example: patch yuri in a fair way etc. Its a simple and consecutive trial and error principle, where the game always should improve. If some "bad" patches goes online, well thats happens and could be replaced in the next patch.

We dont need one big patch in 15 years, we need more a frequently patching with the trial and error principle. Therefore, the game will get more variety in competitive gameplay, more scope of action and at least more attention.  

Edited by reflexion
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 11/26/2018 at 2:38 PM, LeOwNzAll said:

If we display the name (to know lamers), there will be bail/push.

how there will be bail ? they will lose pts, also no need to display the nicknames on loading screen, just display nicknames after you deploy mcv ;) then bailing won't be possible much,