Anonymising players names - option?

bbglas007

In QuickMatch (QM), I notice the players names are "Anonymised" and are presented as "PLAYER"

This is a great function. I really wish this was in normal games.
So many times when people play 2v2v2v2 or FFA games, players end up in situations where they are teaming against "good players"

It's easy to quickly check who is player as what colour/ faction and decide to attack them first, or rush and it seems that it happens without communication as people know instinctively who to target.

I think many people don't like to play free for all or 2v2v2v2 for that specific reason.

I suggest an option that allows the anonymisation of players names in the game, the same way cncnet works. This will ensure players play the game without bias or prejudice and ensure they focus more on paying attention to who builds what. 
This may help rebalance these games and will eliminate the accusations of "deliberate teaming" against X

Please let me know your thoughts!

Edited by bbglas007
  • Upvote 2

Bad idea. Then the weak players will attack each other, while the strong player will accumulate strength and kill everyone. On the contrary, we try to attack everyone in the game so that all teams are angry with us and attack us first. Otherwise it's a very boring game.
Of course, if the players are noobs.
The best game is when all teams are strong.

Players need to know who they are playing with and plan which team to attack first. This is the interest of the game 2v2v2v2.

• Check 1

Great suggestion!

Everyone is supposed to focus on the strongest, most threatening; not player/team X, Y, or Z, so no need to show the nicknames.
You attack them for what they do, not for who they are!

Anonymizing nicknames in all games is important, to make it fair.

Edited by Sam-I-am

I'm not sure about this. We already have the option for no spot previews. Also on CnCNet many pros can easily change their nickname to remain anonymous. Part of the game is knowing who you're playing against and adjusting accordingly. If you're a pro finding yourself being teamed by a bunch of randoms, then I'd say, some fault lies with you for not knowing what game you were getting yourself into. If it's a free for fall, then it's a free for all to decide whom they need to attack. Besides most pros i've seen in these situations can hold their ground and would even welcome the challenge. I recall Matt and Paff winning a 2v6 on heck vs a bunch of regulars once, but even if they lost, do you think it would be a world shattering victory? It's not like it's a 1v1 or anything. It's a FFG and most good players can only grow stronger from these situations.

One last thing is that theres a ton of guys on cncnet that dont even know who the good players are. Some are more popular like @Kikematamitos whom I've heard complain about this very thing you're talking about OP. The thing about him though is the audience he attracts. He gets thousands of views on his YR youtube videos, and i'm sure that brings in a few trolls who will follow him and team against him when they get a chance. From my experience, I rarely see this unfair teaming against pros that you're talking about. Even if it's an FFA and some guy has nickname [RxP]Win2Apoc or whatever. I don't see it happening that much.

Edited by aWarNoob_sed0na
  • Upvote 1

7 hours ago, aWarNoob_sed0na said:

We already have the option for no spot previews.

I was gonna mention that option as well; not to say that there's no need to anonymize nicknames, but the contrary.
"No spawn previews" was meant for the same reason, but it's not enough, because even when it's used, you still can recognize who's who (Tab to check color/nickname).

The new feature would be a better alternative to "no spawn previews".

Also on CnCNet many pros can easily change their nickname to remain anonymous.
Part of the game is knowing who you're playing against and adjusting accordingly

Anyone can change their nickname anytime, including trolls, obviously. That's another issue that needs to be tackled.
There's no need to change your nickname, unless if you're gonna troll others or to avoid being targeted (which can be done by the suggested option).

We don't want players to change their nicknames, we wanna know who we're playing against, only before the game starts, to give an equal chance to all; for fairness.

If you're a pro finding yourself being teamed by a bunch of randoms, then I'd say, some fault lies with you for not knowing what game you were getting yourself into
I rarely see this unfair teaming against pros that you're talking about. Even if it's an FFA and some guy has nickname [RxP]Win2Apoc or whatever. I don't see it happening that much

This is happening to many people, including myself and friends of mine, which are not all pros.

We're not getting ourselves into games, we're hosting them. Those "repeat offenders" are the ones that are getting themselves into our games, just for harassment.

It happened to me many times, and I've seen it happen to others. They join with different nicknames and target a specific player and then they quit, which ruins the game, because they're not playing to win, they don't care about the game, their only goal is to troll; to make someone specific lose, which is not fair.

If it's a free for fall, then it's a free for all to decide whom they need to attack

That would be OK in normal situations, but not when you're being targeted by people who play 1v1 in FFA, as I just mentioned.
1v1 and FFA are two different games. They play 1v1 in FFA for "revenge/payback" or for the "fun" of agitating others. Yes, such people exist, unfortunately.
They ruin games, and that's exactly what they want.

Besides most pros i've seen in these situations can hold their ground and would even welcome the challenge.

Yes, but not always. These are dirty games and dirty games are not welcome.
If they're playing to win and that would help them win, fine, but they're not, which ruins everything.

What would you say about "rivals" in any sport that would participate in games just to attack and handicap specific participants? fair game? Same thing here.

theres a ton of guys on cncnet that dont even know who the good players are

Yeah, but we're not talking about the most famous players only.
You would know how good a player is when you play against them, and they're not all widely known.

You beat those sore losers once or twice and they start targeting you for beating them. That's what we're talking about.
It's not a problem for known players only. It could happen to anyone.

Edited by Sam-I-am
  • Upvote 1