How can i play these Levels ?

Icedevil

• 3 months later...

weaveR... that's hardly helpful.

Icedevil: I'm fairly sure all of those have been integrated in Chimas's huge mission collection, which you can find in the sticky topic of the forum WeaveR linked to. Those missions are packed into .mix archives which you simply have to drop in your game folder, after which you will find the missions in the "New Missions" menu inside the game.

And now, some practical help in general for playing old missions:

Generally, the missions that are savegame-only won't work because they're DOS C&C savegames. So unless you want to go mess around with DOSBox and DOS C&C, don't bother.

Most missions will be in there as two files; a pair with one file having .ini extension, and the other .bin (Sometimes the .bin file is called .map in the archive, but this is wrong; rename it to end on .bin instead). If your system is not configured to show extensions, the .ini one might just show as "configuration file". Normally, the pair have the same basic name, though. (Sometimes there's just a .ini, which is annoying since it often means it needs the corresponding .bin that's already in the game. But let's focus on the normal, complete, classic .ini/.bin pairs here.) If there's a file called "mission.ini" there too, ignore it for now, it's not the actual mission file.

That .ini/.bin pair should be renamed to the name format "sc[g/b]##ea.ini/bin", where [g/b] is the side (g=goodguy=GDI, b=badguy=Nod), and ## is the mission number. So, for example, scg52ea.ini + scg52ea.bin

In practice, it's generally best to check the mission's readme file to see which mission it's supposed to replace (in other words, which technology level the mission is supposed to have), open the mission's ini file and change the "BuildLevel=" line to that mission number, and add a "Name=" line in the [basic] section to give the mission a name.

Rename the ini and bin file to the specified name format, with ## a number higher than the used Covert Operations mission numbers (higher than 50 is generally safe if you got no other missions installed). So, as I said, then you get something like scg52ea.ini + scg52ea.bin

That's about it. If there's a "mission.ini" file too, you can get the briefing out of that. It'll be under an ini header between [ ] with either the same name as the original mission files, or with the same mission number and side specified in the mission readme. Heck, some mission.ini files I've seen only contain the one briefing for the new mission. Anyway, the briefing can be copied into the mission's own ini file if you replace the header from the mission format code (like, [sCG10EB] or something) to just "[briefing]".

• 2 months later...

The BIN files are maps.

Honestly, I'm not understanding what you are doing.

Which INI files are you using without the respective BIN files?

I'll try to sum things up how they work in Nyerguds patch. If you find let's say a fictitious old mission called MY STUFF:

- it can have a pair of files like MYSTUFF.INI and MYSTUFF.MAP;

- rename *.MAP to *.BIN;

- and also rename to an acceptable code like SCG51EA.INI and SCG51EA.BIN (SCB if it's a Nod mission, check details in Nyerguds explanation). As a last advice you might try to use a code like SCG999EA.INI and SCG999EA.BIN instead, so it's certain it won't override anything;

- drop them in C&C95 folder and run the game, (if it is 999, the mission is in the end of the New Missions Menu, GDI or Nod).

So if you're using just an INI file and it's "working" you're probably using a MAP (BIN file) that exists in one of the MIX files you have in the folder, so you're probably getting a weird mission that makes no sense. Since in the beginning everything is shrouded it might look like it's working. So, I'm really not getting what is goin' on.

Whenever you find missions out there, they are probably listed in the community project. If not, I'm interested in putting them there. Recently, I made the "inventory" so ppl might be update of the missions not yet released, but if anyone is interested in a unreleased mission, I can send a link by e-mail the way it is, just PM me.

The Huge collection is here: http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1786.0

:D Yeah I tried playing a couple of the missions with AND without the BIN files... you definitely need the respective BIN files :D. Without that file, the map still looked similar but without things like water, cliffs and roads. Thanx.
  • Upvote 1

Chimas, you forgot the "EA" suffix to the mission filenames. I edited it into your post :P

What does SC and EA mean? At first I thought EA stood for Electronic Arts, but then I remembered that EA didn't own the rights to Tiberian Dawn at the time.

*EDIT: Single-player Campaign?

• Upvote 1

Thanks Nyerguds,

I have to work with this more frequently, so I don't make these mistakes.

"SC" it's a code for scenario and "E" means "East". "A" is just to make an order without having to use numbers, so "A","B","C" ...

The explanation is much broader, but that satisfies what you've asked. Nyerguds had explained it somewhere, probably here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

You can find more info in his mission making manual for CnC95 in that link.

Most likely, these codes were meant to be used in some way and in the end, things turned out to another way and the code remained. Something like that.

You might cut below and make a thread somewhere:

Btw Nyerguds,

It would be interesting to make a CONCEPTUAL map making manual, with colors and unit photos, not only describing how to make missions but using the collection to give examples and also to have some discussion on what the commands represent in terms of warfare and these type of things. I don't have time now, but just to let you know there is something in mind.

Also it could be done by 5 or 6 ppl like a community project. Whenever I get a time (and patience), I'll make a "mock up" page of the whole idea. Honestly, I'm not the right person for this, but the discussion to make it would be really cool. We could use all those missions and the stock missions to discuss concepts. I mean, the discussion will shape the manual and chapters.

By last, making a campaign with each mission specialized in certain commands to be used as example would be terrific too, so plenty of options.

fir3w0rx: This excerpt from the C&C95 v1.06c manual explains the way missions work as introduction to how addon-campaigns in the Covert Operations' "New Missions" menu work:

7.4.6. Addon campaigns:

As you may have read already, the Funpark campaigns are offered as one item that offers all 5 dinosaur missions. This is made possible by the addon campaigns system implemented in the New Missions menu.

Command & Conquer missions are of a general format that's basically SC(enario)[sIDE][NUMBER][East/West][A/B/C]. For example, SCG04WB is GDI mission #4, West side of the map, choice B.

The New Missions menu doesn't have the variety of alternates that the campaign has though; only missions ending on EA are used.

To put these extra endings to use, 1.06c contains a system that will make Covert Operations missions automatically look for the next alternative after finishing a mission. This means SCG20EA will continue to SCG20EB, then to SCG20EC, etc. It will continue until no more missions are found.

The full list of all alternates has been expanded too though. 1.06c can have up to 15 missions on each mission number this way. The ending letters are:

EA, EB, EC, ED, EE, WA, WB, WC, WD, WE, XA, XB, XC, XD, XE

Warning: Because of the way file names are saved in the game's .mix archives, the system that reads these files has problems with names that are only 2 letters different from each other. This problem has caused the addon campaign missions beyond the EA one to show up on the real list as different number, as if they are EA missions. Because of this, it is strongly advised to only use numbers below 100 and above 899 for addon campaigns.

The explanation is much broader, but that satisfies what you've asked. Nyerguds had explained it somewhere, probably here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/

You can find more info in his mission making manual for CnC95 in that link.

Um. I think you probably meant to link him to my open directory: http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/

More specifically, to this file:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cncstuff/cctxt/ccmanual.txt

Btw Nyerguds,

It would be interesting to make a CONCEPTUAL map making manual, with colors and unit photos, not only describing how to make missions but using the collection to give examples and also to have some discussion on what the commands represent in terms of warfare and these type of things. I don't have time now, but just to let you know there is something in mind.

Also it could be done by 5 or 6 ppl like a community project. Whenever I get a time (and patience), I'll make a "mock up" page of the whole idea. Honestly, I'm not the right person for this, but the discussion to make it would be really cool. We could use all those missions and the stock missions to discuss concepts. I mean, the discussion will shape the manual and chapters.

By last, making a campaign with each mission specialized in certain commands to be used as example would be terrific too, so plenty of options.

I'm really not sure what you mean... making a bunch of small example missions explaining the specific use of certain triggers and teamtypes, and stuff like trigger repetition and such? Or do you just mean, making an illustrated manual?