Mysterious Screenshot

paulrt

Many years ago I archived away a lot of Command & Conquer stuff onto CD's, recently I got that C&C bug again and so have been going theough those CD's again and having a great time. doing it :D

While browsing through the CD's I came across a mysterious screenshot. I am pretty sure it came from a magazine article but have no idea which one, luckily I added the date of February 1996 to the screenshot, so this was incrredably early in Red Alert development (even more so when most magazines are printed a month in advance). The text at the bottom reads 'The countdown begins this April', obviously Apriil 1996 which is a full 6 months before it was released. I thought I had seen virtually everything about Red Alert but this one is so confusing, does anybody else know anything about it?

• 3 months later...

Being old enough to have played the original demo of C&C on a PC Gamer demo disk, I think I know where this image is from. If my memory serves me right it's from C&C Covert Operations. I believe it popped up after beating the game, or maybe there was an option to view the promo from the home screen? I'm almost positive this was a still shot after a gameplay promo. If someone has a copy of the original CDs, maybe they can confirm.

Being old enough to have played the original demo of C&C on a PC Gamer demo disk, I think I know where this image is from. If my memory serves me right it's from C&C Covert Operations. I believe it popped up after beating the game, or maybe there was an option to view the promo from the home screen? I'm almost positive this was a still shot after a gameplay promo. If someone has a copy of the original CDs, maybe they can confirm.

Um. The C&C1 demo doesn't have any covert ops, and the covert ops doesn't have an end game screen since it's a bunch of loose missions.

I've seen the order screen that comes after beating the C&C1 demo, and it was an order screen for C&C itself, not for RA.

Though, I don't think I ever played the RA1 demo... which has a much higher chance of containing something like this.

Oh, and if you mean the Red Alert trailer in the Covert Operations (which was simply added to the "intro & sneak peek" videos), then no... it was nothing like this. This pic is made up of still renders. The RA trailer was all FMVs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAaCOzoouBA

Though, the submarine render is indeed from the FMV, and it is featured in that trailer.

• 9 months later...

Slight tangent: The author speculate about buildings on a Red Alert screenshot and identify the arms factory as a construction yard and then as a power plant. :D AA guns are turned into "heavy artillery".

Also, the editorial at the beginning discusses how people start to bitch about games becoming too easy and too casual.

• 4 weeks later...