'Tiberian Sun requires a mouse to play'

Silent_Running

Question

I get this error message when I try to load a tiberian sun game. I can join the lobby, but when the game is launched it crashes and I get that error message. It's pretty bizarre! I can play red alert fine and have been doing for ages.... Felipe and Lovehandles had no idea what it was so I figured i'd try here.

Thank you in advance for your help.

17 answers to this question

That has to be the oddest error I have seen...

Now that's an odd issue. What mouse do you use?

Just a Synaptic trackpad... i'm on a laptop. Obviously it works fine the rest of the time (including for Tib Dawn and RA1).

I agree it's completely bizarre. I knew it must be an unusual issue when Lovehandles hadn't seen it before. Haven't spoken to Iran about it though.

I've just double checked and the exact error is: 'A mouse is required for playing Tiberian Sun.'

TS/RA2/YR have a check for whether a mouse is present using GetSystemMetrics, actually there are two checks. They don't always work because most Windows systems will report trackpads (without mouse connected) as having a mouse with buttons, and sometimes systems don't detect USB mouses (happens with older Windows). Anyway the following checks need to be removed from Tiberian Sun:

.text:005FFDCC                push    13h            ; nIndex

.text:005FFDCE                mov    esi, ds:GetSystemMetrics

.text:005FFDD4                call    esi ; GetSystemMetrics

.text:005FFDD6                test    eax, eax

.text:005FFDD8                jz      loc_601A80 ; <--- jump to location if mouse not present, shows message and exits game

.text:005FFDDE                push    2Bh            ; nIndex

.text:005FFDE0                call    esi ; GetSystemMetrics

.text:005FFDE2                test    eax, eax

.text:005FFDE4                jz      loc_601A80  ; <--- jump to location if mouse not present, shows message and exits game

if you like to play online then i would need to push it through the updater

anyways, give it a try: http://funkyfr3sh.cncnet.org/files/ts-spawn.exe

This seemed to work... I'm not sure what it was supposed to do, I mean it said all the maps had a 0 player cap. But my mouse worked with no issues. Thanks. Yes I do like to play online.

I updated TS, you can play online now

taking away dusruptor weapon graphics is gonna piss a lot of people off. should put that back even if it causes crashes lol. also maybe preassign "z" to sell mode since theres no keyboard shortcut for sell mode by default.