Dear Virgin Interactive

Iran

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/dear-virgin-interactive-1575686.html

It's only October but the Christmas commercials have started. Your marketing people are celebrating the season of peace and goodwill to all mankind by hyping violent video games for children. Their latest wheeze is to display posters, on the London Underground, for a CD-Rom game called Command and Conquer. Under the heading "Previous High Scores", the poster carries 16 portraits of politicians and military leaders, including photographs of the mass murderers Adolf Hitler and Joseph Stalin. Among other villains of popular demonology on the poster are Mussolini, Mao Tse-tung, Emperor Hirohito of Japan, Saddam Hussein - and the French President, Jacques Chirac.

What sort of nerds are you employing? I can imagine them saying to themselves: "Gosh, that's really witty. Using mass murderers to promote a consumer product."

It's not witty. It's crass, ignorant and stupid. It's also, I would have thought, actionable. If I were the French Ambassador, I would already have drafted a note of protest to the British government and would be consulting my lawyers to see how much money Mr Chirac can take you for in libel damages.

I don't like Mr Chirac's decision to pop off nukes in the South Pacific. He has made himself globally unpopular for doing so but - do I really have to point this out? - that's just not in the same league as Hitler.

Your cheeky chappies have included Napoleon on the poster, too. What is this, get the French week? Or are we simply witnessing an American entertainment company (Virgin Interactive Entertainment is owned by Viacom) displaying to Europe how ignorant it is of European history?

For the record, the Napoleonic armies of revolutionary France swept away medieval despotism across Europe, destroyed the archaic Holy Roman Empire, and broke the repressive hold of the Catholic Church on secular states in what is now Germany. Of course, Napoleon later turned towards autocracy and had himself crowned emperor, but that just illustrates my point: real life is more complicated and more interesting than the nerdish simplicities of advertising and computer games.

I thought you would have learnt a lesson last year when you promoted the game Doom II with photographs of entrails and reportedly sent packages containing sheep's entrails to journalists as a public relations stunt. The campaign was over by the time the Advertising Standards Authority managed to ban it. What worries me is that the lesson you learnt was that crass, nerdish ignorance sells. That you can not only get away with this, but make money from it hand over fist.

We are being deracinated by you and your kind. Your nerds probably will need to consult their CD-Rom dictionary for that one: basically it means that you are tearing us away from the roots of our culture, our history, and our sense of ourselves. George Orwell once lamented how commercial technology in his day was so undermining any popular sense of what was right and wrong that children were growing up knowing more about the workings of the magneto than the contents of the Bible. For our day, read CD-Roms and history.

When I was a child I used to cringe at the prospect of Bing Crosby's "I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas" being trotted out yet again. But at least then the abyss of Americanised bad taste had a bottom. With your poster we are in moral free fall.

I hope Mr Chirac sues for every penny you have.

We are being deracinated by you and your kind. Your nerds probably will need to consult their CD-Rom dictionary for that one: basically it means that you are tearing us away from the roots of our culture, our history, and our sense of ourselves. George Orwell once lamented how commercial technology in his day was so undermining any popular sense of what was right and wrong that children were growing up knowing more about the workings of the magneto than the contents of the Bible. For our day, read CD-Roms and history.

Haaaahahahaha! The guy kinda just disproved his own diatribe. Every generation gets "ruined", and yet they all turn out quite fine in the end :cncsmirk:

Yes, well; as it turns out, what makes people decent is not if they all believe the same thing or if they've seen or not seen certain things, but instead, weather or not they treat each other with respect, and see each other in some form of family. You know, those instinctual things, that almost every animal has in some certain way.

• 2 months later...

The guy is right in typical reformer fashion: Trying to take credit for something he did nothing towards.

If I had seen this advertisement I probably never would of started the movement towards unifying sites and people towards cncnet (not sure about this).

But it is here, so I suppose we can say C&C is the embodiment of megalomania dreams and cncnet is a history lesson for those open to learn?

I don't like looking towards a future where autonomous division is considered a good thing.

May people come here and shine their light upon the pathways of nostalgia so that they might find peace with a state closer to their innocence.