[CnCNet] Current list of used map numbers

Nyerguds

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Right, I should really update this... and add the actual maps pack in the post -_-

btw, I think I'll make sure 1.06c r2 puts number 00 at the end of the list. It's not hard to do that, and it'll solve the problem of it overriding the first entry.

(Just gotta make it start at 1, count in a single byte, and go on until it reaches zero after 255 ;)

Out of curiosity, Does TD support 1,000 multiplayer maps through the EA, EB, EC, ED, EL, WA, WB, WC, WD, WL codes or can you only use EA?

Seems this is impossible; the game only sends the map number to the other players, and even that's just a single byte, meaning I can't go beyond map number 255.

Spot on, Revo.

Ohh, since when has it accepted values up to 255? I thought the limit was whatever two numerical bytes (##), not three.

There's no such thing as "numerical bytes". You just mean digits, and not only does one byte contain 2 digits, but a byte's digits are completely irrelevant to the decimal digits, since the map/mission number is saved as one value internally, and not per digit.

Expanding the normally 2-digit number to 3 was no problem whatsoever, in fact that technically always worked. See, the "2 digits" setting used for generating a map file name from the map number value only means "pad the front with zeroes to fill to 2 digits" anyway. It won't cut anything off if you exceed it. In v1.06c, the New Missions menu has been expanded right up to the limits of the 8-character file name format, meaning it will show missions with numbers up to SC?999EA. The only thing I had to change for that was making the game read mission numbers beyond 99. Since the internal limit is still 2 digits, this means I didn't even have to pad all existing < 100 map with an extra zero to make it work. It simply always worked. The filename number format goes from 00 -> 99 and 100 -> 999 (Technically; zero is never used for missions though)

The REAL problem is that the multiplayer network traffic sends the map number as one single byte, whereas internally, the mission number is actually a full double word (4 bytes). So loading the map or mission locally works, but correctly sending the map number to the other players doesn't.

If not for the DOS 8-character file name limit and that 1-byte transport information, I could go straight up to 2 billion with the map numbers :P

(wouldn't do that though; that would probably make the maps scanning loop at the game start take more than a minute. There's already a noticeable delay on the New Missions menu from expanding it to 999 :P )

Lol. I didn't even notice my sig doesn't match that of my name.

Crimsonum is still around because I can't change it in PPM. Plus I use it in few other places like YouTube. Grimson is the latest and most original in my opinion, and I use that here.

EDIT: Hah, I see you even copied the "New!" to one of the map names :P

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...