Speedrun attempts

RC1985

Before leaving C&C soon for a few months, I managed to get a few videos up..hope to hear u guys' feedback on my build and gameplay style, since I'm an RA player and using an RA-ish way of doing TD. not sure if that works too well..

GDI mission 1 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-TBeMb9Ad8 - managed to break jonah mah's proclaimed world record by 2 secs but credits to his vid for showing the right way

GDI mission 2 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGOByflp0NY

GDI mission 3 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eIaNiSJeoRM

GDI mission 4 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMU2iCA-sg8

GDI mission 5 - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EH6FXMyUsN4

Nod Death Squad special play where I not only destroy the adv comm centre but every vehicle, man, building, wall and sandbag - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjUv5zkkDFE

If there's any complete TD speedrun (all missions) pls let me know, I'd love to check them out too :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love the last video about Nod Death Squad. But you forgot to explore the entire map :)

And kill any possible killable tree or other debris.

GJ on having the new world record. But is it registered somewhere?

Can you beat the world record on Nod mission 1?

Now that would be a complete victory.

Thanks guys, the map was actually explored throughout, just didn't have time for the trees :P I'm lucky that speedrunning on TD doesn't revolve around build and max production, and more of exploiting the AI and holes in the map..

X3M - it's a 'world record' cos the guy claims it and I haven't seen any other vid that's faster than his lol. Would want to do nod's mission 1 but I'm focusing on covert ops missions for now :)

Exploiting glitches does help a lot doesnt it

Escpecially in that video you did of "Deceit"

Indeed, it prevents me from going the dirty way as well. When I see other Deceit videos with lots of sandbagging and viewers trolling the player for it, I just smile :P

Guest Mechacaseal

After making a few mission videos on youtube I realize they are fucking stupid. At least multiplayer you dont know what to expect from the video. god damn speed runs all look the same. im contemplating deleting my mission videos.

Guest Mechacaseal

RC1985, I commend your critical thinking skills, that deceit video was impressive.  I did not find it the least bit 'fucking stupid.'  Maybe because I actually watched it instead of knee-jerk arm-chair bashed it.

I watched Time Flies one and I certainly wouldnt watch another person play that mission again cause i just saw all there is to see. But I do know some people play only for the missions etc. But still it's all the same.

After making a few mission videos on youtube I realize they are fucking stupid. At least multiplayer you dont know what to expect from the video. god damn speed runs all look the same. im contemplating deleting my mission videos.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, please just don't reply at all. I'm getting seriously tired of this crap, Mechacaseal.

If you don't have anything constructive to say, please just don't reply at all. I'm getting seriously tired of this crap, Mechacaseal.

I agree wholeheartedly.... Don't you realize that 80% (and that's being generous) of your posts are just blind shit talking and you are being venomous to the (dwindling) interest in these games? don't shoot us all in the foot... geez!  instead of deleting your mission videos, why don't you delete your account here...?

Before leaving C&C soon for a few months, I managed to get a few videos up..hope to hear u guys' feedback on my build and gameplay style, since I'm an RA player and using an RA-ish way of doing TD. not sure if that works too well..

Not bad... but you should really either mention the game speed you play on, or use the in-game timer; just cranking up the game speed does not equal a speedrun, after all.

Nod Death Squad special play where I not only destroy the adv comm centre but every vehicle, man, building, wall and sandbag - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EjUv5zkkDFE

Hah. Fun, though clearing the walls was a bit excessive. Also, you couldn't possibly destroy all trees, since you burnt that cactus, and burnt trees become invincible ;)

If there's any complete TD speedrun (all missions) pls let me know, I'd love to check them out too :)

Christo161 on Youtube did an awesome speedrun playthrough of all the missions on the Nintendo64 version of the game, on emulator. The fact he included the Covert Ops missions (not all; just the ones that are in the N64 ROM; they're not playable without editing) despite some pretty vital stuff being cut from the N64 game (for example, he completed The Tiberium Strain with non-functional chem warriors) makes it all the more impressive.

Also, if you want to do your own speedruns... some of the tricks he pulls off in the campaign are absolutely baffling.

Guest Mechacaseal

I knew you would be one of the ones to come after my speed run hating posts. I saw you going on a rant about us multiplayer freaks earlier lol. But I whole heartedly stick by my comment hating on speed runs. Same can be said about people fighting brutal AI 7 vs 1 in yuri's. theres a specific way to win this and although cool if you look in the comment section you can see people hating on those videos too cause its all about learning the trick and repeating it. It's a one trick pony kinda thing and thus lame.

Odds are before you do a mission to speed run it you look at videos of other people doing it then you REPEAT WHAT YOU JUST SAW FOR YOUR OWN VIDEO. I stopped playing missions once i realized this is what I was doing.

I do tend to try and do missions as the developer intended (somewhat)

It's never as fast but it does get more action out of the mission you're doing.

I think it would be cooler to try and speedrun a campaign blind (as in, first try) or something like that

Thanks guys for the feedback :D

RC1985, I commend your critical thinking skills, that deceit video was impressive.  I did not find it the least bit 'fucking stupid.'  Maybe because I actually watched it instead of knee-jerk arm-chair bashed it.

Took me a while to figure out what the arm chair thing was about until I saw his thumnbail hoho

Not bad... but you should really either mention the game speed you play on, or use the in-game timer; just cranking up the game speed does not equal a speedrun, after all.

I tend to mostly disagree about using the in-game timer, because it rounds it up to the nearest minute so some accuracy is lost. My main point being though, that it's a challenge to play at a fast game speed (better reflexes and reaction time needed and it's more impressive to the viewer). Personally I find that most TD vids on youtube are painfully slow and it'd be illogical to compare that to a fast vid and say it's just as fast. Though I acknowledge that intentionally raking the speed up to make it seem fast is lacking in integrity, like how a player on youtube did to get an airstrike ready in 5 secs. I'm not guilty of this and other dirty stuff like sandbagging and autoclicking anyway.

I think it would be cooler to try and speedrun a campaign blind (as in, first try) or something like that

Tough order there cos in many missions it's a fail at the first time :P

I tend to mostly disagree about using the in-game timer, because it rounds it up to the nearest minute so some accuracy is lost. My main point being though, that it's a challenge to play at a fast game speed (better reflexes and reaction time needed and it's more impressive to the viewer). Personally I find that most TD vids on youtube are painfully slow and it'd be illogical to compare that to a fast vid and say it's just as fast. Though I acknowledge that intentionally raking the speed up to make it seem fast is lacking in integrity, like how a player on youtube did to get an airstrike ready in 5 secs. I'm not guilty of this and other dirty stuff like sandbagging and autoclicking anyway.

My point still stands, though; then you should mention the game speed. Without any foundation, a speedrun is useless.

If you're wondering, middle game speed is the norm measured in minutes on the score screen. I believe every step past it doubles the speed, though (in C&C1) the very last one just releases all game speed blocks and runs at full CPU speed.

My point still stands, though; then you should mention the game speed. Without any foundation, a speedrun is useless.

Lol sure, my speed is sexy at 6/7 bars. It's for this reason that I haven't done a speedrun of Twist of Fate at this speed yet since there's so many units across the map which would take so much multitasking - gotta practise till perfection. I think this is an area where C&C is fun, apart from building and producing there's this element of reflexes... blazing through with a commando, swiftly eliminating the speedy nadiers that come to you. It feels like martial arts.

doing a recording (or even a livestream?) of a blind campaign play would be awesome.

There's some on youtube i think. The highlight of these vids would be the cursing and raging, not the speed :P

Doing certain missions and tasks on permanent high speed can be very challenging.

I can't imagine myself doing the starts of Twist of Fate, Blindsided or Infiltrated! with any decent success without slowing it down xD

(especially on twist of fate, slowing the game down at the very start seems to make it like 6 times easier)

Lets play video's of Newbs ( not noobs but newbs)  are fun to watch too. Especially if they have experience in another RTS. Yet have never played C&C.

There is a lets play out there, which is actually fun to watch. Since he has dry humor and doesn't know what to expect.

Doing certain missions and tasks on permanent high speed can be very challenging.

I can't imagine myself doing the starts of Twist of Fate, Blindsided or Infiltrated! with any decent success without slowing it down xD

(especially on twist of fate, slowing the game down at the very start seems to make it like 6 times easier)

Playing twist of fate on hi res makes it easier though..but hi res would slow down an already slow game :/

Lets play video's of Newbs ( not noobs but newbs)  are fun to watch too.

Sorry I'm still somewhat new to gaming terminology. What's the difference between a newb and noob?

It's for this reason that I haven't done a speedrun of Twist of Fate at this speed yet since there's so many units across the map which would take so much multitasking - gotta practise till perfection. I think this is an area where C&C is fun, apart from building and producing there's this element of reflexes... blazing through with a commando, swiftly eliminating the speedy nadiers that come to you. It feels like martial arts.

Twist of Fate is a nice one. Hotkeys are really vital there. Give a few commands to manage the outpost, deselect everything, press N to select the top unit, and save the two Mammoths there by moving them to the top right corner. Once there, fend off the units attacking them, and then try to save some more stuff while waiting for them both to heal. Saving those two comes in really handy once the MCV arrives :D

Oh, and apparently, if you set up shop in the top area instead of where the flare is, it confuses the heck out of the AI, since all their attacks are aimed at the bottom area ;)

Sorry I'm still somewhat new to gaming terminology. What's the difference between a newb and noob?

Genuinely new players, versus idiots that refuse to learn how to play properly.

Oh, and apparently, if you set up shop in the top area instead of where the flare is, it confuses the heck out of the AI, since all their attacks are aimed at the bottom area ;)

Yes I've always done it north, that and plus it saves time and is nearer to the tiberium fields at the north west.

I've done Twist of Fate, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xMXyXBDH_k , at speed 6 out of 7 throughout the game :P . Wasn't as difficult as I thought since the rockets won't pursue the mammies if they move far south enough. I found that saving units isn't that critical though (the 2 mammies as a minimum will do) since tanking isn't crucial in this mission.