Weird Discovery (or I live under a rock in tiberium land)

MattAttack

So I was making a map for Kilkakon's mod which involved multiple houses.  The player is Goodguy and it's vs multi1, multi2, multi3, special and then Badguy.  They're all going to be the same color, giving the illusion of only 1 enemy army.  As I progress everything is working fine, all the multi houses are churning out medium tanks like they're supposed to UNTIL I get to badguy.  Their WF will make MSAMs, but no medium tanks.  I assume that I've just made some sort of error in the syntax, but I could not for the life of me find any mistake.  Fast forward through a bunch of trial and error, and I come to find that Badguy can only make shared units (apc, msam, possibly a couple of others) with the weapons factory.  Kilk was as dumbfounded as I was by this and it explained why some things seemed to not be working for him scripting-wise.  It is IMPOSSIBLE for AI Nod to make medium tanks, even with an airstrip (although I had already assumed the latter.)  Probably Humvees, mammys, etc too.  Is this old news or a new discovery?

wow this post seems pretty tame compared to recent activity around here, so FU dooshes ur moms r gay n stuff ;)  there we go, much better!

there are no airstrips in the mod, for the most part.  But the reinforce (from edge of map) idea had crossed my mind although I'm just going to change it to another multi house.  That's not really the point, though.  Badguy(AI) has weird restrictions that the generic houses do not.  when the PLAYER is Nod, it's no prob.  I was unaware of this, and wasn't sure if I just wasn't in the know, or if this was yet another thing about TD we've found out.

Technically the AI can build anything.

That's what I thought.  What's weird is it only applies to Badguy, not any of the other houses, regarding the WF.  I'm glad I discovered this before I went and made some big elaborate mission for my vanilla TD campaign.  Say Nod captures a WF and starts bombarding you with med tanks/Humvees.  Can't do it!  (I won't use multi houses) What gets me though, is that in kilk's mod, the player can technically build an artillery piece from a WF. (it's modded into something else, though.)  Boy this game is the gift that keeps on giving, mystery wise.

Boy this game is the gift that keeps on giving, mystery wise.

Man, I also play Civ I DOS and frequent a Civ I forum, the hackers there basically disassembled 99% of the game and we're still find new things out 24 years after it was released... Admittedly, Civ is a much simpler game than C&C with much less variables, but still, there are some awe-inspiring pieces of programming genious in it, which even I can appreciate, even though I'm as far removed from coding as a toucan is from the North pole.

Wait, wait, wait.

There could be a difference between giving Nod a weapons factory, and making them capture one. You should try that out.

Good idea, but alas it still doesn't work.  To me that's the biggest mystery of this.  If I'm playing AS Nod, I can capture a WF and make med tanks, but the AI cannot!?!  :O  Maybe I'll have to now see if a GDI airstrip can poduce light tanks/bikes.  My guess in no....

The AI has to be 'told' to build medium tanks.

If you're talking about scripting-- house "Badguy" will not construct medium tanks no matter what you tell it to do.  If you're talking about .exe hacking, that's well out of my area of expertise.

• 4 months later...

Can't you just place the medium tanks with a trigger instead?

Sure they pop up out of nowhere. But still.

Perhaps you can give medium tanks by continuously sending in hoovers. As long as the WF is standing? A bit odd, but as if they are constructed else where, borrowing the tech from GDI.

Good luck with this one, I hope you succeed.