How can we attract more players to Tiberian Sun?

Grant

So far, YR has been heavily advertised in our marketing, mainly because we needed to capitalise on the free Origin offer and as such has drawn a lot of new players. Though it looks like TS needs some love and so we're looking at ways to launch some new advertising to TS online.

Some things that I think might help, what do you think?

• Everyone help spread the word more - post in forums, reddit, advertise, share our social pages with your friends, keep creating YouTube vids, streams, and telling us so we can advertise them. Post in youtube vids comments, contact vid authors ask them to link us etc.
  • Creating some competition - hopefully an exclusive leaderboard to RA1/TS (for now at least) will bring some competitive players from other games? (Maybe I'm not sure) Maybe by enhancing the leaderboard once its launched with some glossy badges, achievements and other goodies...
  • Competitions - I haven't seen many hosted, perhaps because there aren't enough players I'm not sure? Why is this? Is there anything we can do to help on this front? Perhaps a tournament page on the site dedicated to events the community hosts? Relying on the forum for this kind of stuff tends to get lost

Other questions

Has the TS player base increased, or decreased in the past 6 months? Or has it stayed relatively fresh with new players?

Hey bud, nice to see you posting here!

I have only been back to ts for about 3 months now, and have seen a lot of players come and go, but for the most part activity seems around the same as when I first came back.

Myself and a few others were highly considering hosting a 500$ (split among top 3 teams) 2v2 prize tourny, but I believe I was the main contributor to this, and unless we can get some patching done for game-play I'm not willing to put my portion up.

I really, really love what you guys have done with TS, it is surely far, far better than it ever has been, but I really, really wish I could get in touch with someone (iran is impossible for me to get in touch with) that is capable of implementing in-game patches.  Myself and others are even willing to donate for this.  If this is possible and someone is interested, I have a HUGE list of almost all the glitches still in the game here:

http://cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=4241.0

Once again, I really want to stress that I LOVE the new client and all the work you guys have done!

With that said, I think said tourney would bring tons to TS, especially pro ra2 and sc2 players that play TS off / on and even more so old leet players would have more reason to come back!

Hmmmm... I am assuming that paid traffic is not an option because cncnet.org is free to players. But... If there was some way to reward players (in the game) to share on Facebook etc...  That could be a FREE way to get the word out more.  Even that blue ribbon for winning the RA challenge is pretty cool. Maybe a red ribbon for bringing more TS players to the site? 

Tracking who brought players could be done very easily with an affiliate link. (even though affiliate links are normally used for tracking payout commissions $$$)  The question is..... what kind of badge or reward would get players to bring their friends and spread the word virally.

I will think about this some more.... would love to see over 1000 TS players in the lobby!

• 4 weeks later...

The learning curve of cncnet seems to be from 0% at once to 100%. This is waaay to steep.

It chases away new players.

If I may suggest:

There should be some co-op missions against AI. Easy, medium and hard missions. But the key point is a co-op for the new.

Reasons:

This encourages new players to work together with some one. Facing things alone might be scary/boring etc. The new players need the option to work with other (new) players. And not against other players, but against an AI.

Facing another player that has been around for a while is "scary" or troublesome for new players. They know they will loose 99%. And are discouraged to continue playing. Especially when they have been beaten several times. The fun will be gone very quickly. And the game is clearly a waste of time for them now. Most of them are permanently gone.

Consider the average player to be weak in mind to continue several weeks. They need at least 1 victory a day. They only get stronger when they get to train at lower levels first.

If you think they should train more often and get their asses beat, they will simply leave. That is a fact.

I do not suggest this to only TS, but the other games as well.

I know that it is impossible with TD, but perhaps there you should (as pro) allow 2 vs yourself. If you still win, allow 3 vs yourself.

It worked for me with starcraft. And there where games where I even allowed 7 vs 1 in certain ums maps (clearly I need to be in the team of 7 with cncnet if I where ever to play again)

The learning curve of cncnet seems to be from 0% at once to 100%. This is waaay to steep.

I suggest a system where pro's will meet pro's and new players will be in the new player league.

A first time (new created account) will automatically be assinged to the new player league...

Once a player has proven skill etc, they can be upgraded to the intermediate league etc... this works great in startcraft.

You can also have more then one "winner" ..

Ranked 1 of pro league,

Ranked 1 of intermediate league, etc..

This helps as well vs point harvesting, noob bashing etc, since you should only be able to play vs opponents in the same league.

It will also be attractive to new players since they have the time to learn the game.

just some thoughts..

I suggest a system where pro's will meet pro's and new players will be in the new player league.

A first time (new created account) will automatically be assinged to the new player league...

Once a player has proven skill etc, they can be upgraded to the intermediate league etc... this works great in startcraft.

You can also have more then one "winner" ..

Ranked 1 of pro league,

Ranked 1 of intermediate league, etc..

This helps as well vs point harvesting, noob bashing etc, since you should only be able to play vs opponents in the same league.

It will also be attractive to new players since they have the time to learn the game.

just some thoughts..

Of course this works. But this time the admins have a chance in assigning the rank to an IP adress.

Starcraft 2 has noob bashers who create new accounts over and over again. Just to bash newbs/noobs. Another reason/rumor is that they already have a rank in the top 100 of platina. And simply want to add more to it.

Very annoying if you ask me.

The system is a good idea, yet at SC2 it lacks maintanance.

CNCnet has a chance in doing it better.

• 2 weeks later...

I dont know if this is occurring on the Windows side, but on Mac I am still not able to complete a full game without it freezing mid-play. One way to get more people to play would be to have versions that are able to actually run and not crash during literally every game-play. I have been voicing this issue for nearly six months. 2 months ago back at the beginning of October, I was told that a fix was in the works, but that was 7 weeks ago, and it is still freezing. Any new updates?

I have seen many new players in the last year, many of them are sticking around.

Several have gotten very good for the time that they have been playing.  They are fun to have in the room.

lots to list but the one that most stands out to me is  mew!  plays great now, in a short time. doesn't complain or break the rules

an all around fun person to play with. many others like him.

we try to be welcoming and not go too hard on new players,

and take the time to help them with how to do things they ask for help on.

lots of sharing in the lobby many helpful people around!        !chat -- is a good thing. saves a lot of time..lol

these things we are already doing and acknowledging the helpfulness of the players I hope helps,

feels good to see some decent peeps playing!

keep it up!

I forgot to bitch.  here it is bitch whine whine complain sob cry complain grumble..  sorry i almost forgot

I'm a semi-newbie who played and loved a Tiberian Sun demo as a kid a little and I'd love to play the game more regularly, it's probably my favorite C&C of the ones I've tried.

But I'm not used to RTSes, I'm just now re-learning the genre so I am a bit too scared to join any multiplayer servers and I seem to get my ass kicked when trying Skirmish or whatever.

Some strategy guides would do the trick. Tutorial vids or extensive threads covering the best strategies for the game and such, since I know for sure this isn't Starcraft (which I'm also just now learning).

My main problem when playing skirmish alone is that the enemy always gets to my base before I have enough units, dunno if it's because I'm playing on hard mode or what.

But yeah, I'd love to jump into Tiberian Sun. I hope my own input on what we could need is helpful to you guys.

There are lots of games posted to youtube.

hop online and you can spectate games to watch and learn

a great way is just to play, learn a little, watch, play some more.

some won't let you watch some won't let you play.  but most will.

most of us don't bite....lol

come play it is the best way. playing against people is so much more fun!!!

several strategy guides in the forums do a quick search mole40k has a good one.

play tips when you join a game too!!

This is the error message I get, every time, without fail, within about 10-15 minutes in to playing a game, everything freezes and a window pops up that says: "the program ts-spawn.exe has encountered a serious error and must close. we are sorry for the inconvenience". I then have to force quit the program and start all over again.

There are lots of games posted to youtube.

hop online and you can spectate games to watch and learn

a great way is just to play, learn a little, watch, play some more.

some won't let you watch some won't let you play.  but most will.

most of us don't bite....lol

come play it is the best way. playing against people is so much more fun!!!

several strategy guides in the forums do a quick search mole40k has a good one.

play tips when you join a game too!!

Thanks for the advice.

Any good ways to practice? I get the impression playing skirmish against hard bots do more harm than good, they keep spamming and gang banging me. D:

I'm such a noob, I have no idea how people are able to build so much so quickly and I was doing alright with defense in one game as Nod until someone completely pwned me with a Ghost Stalker.

I clearly still have lots to learn on RTSes. I want to go for Nod mostly but I get the impression their units and vehicles aren't quite as powerful as GDI. o_o

I still kinda feel like I'm not cut out for this RTS online play, though. Learning is difficult and I make myself look like an idiot online, I dunno what to do about that. :S

Pick the best all time players of TS from its' entire history...

All of them sucked hard their first 500-1000 games I bet.

You have to be willing to loose to get better.

You can't walk into the gym and bench press 450 right away, have to be willing to start low and work your way up.

Hard work and dedication is the solution.

most of us are here for fun!  Just keep playing and enjoy yourself!

like humble said we were all new.

I still remember being new.

I have been playing 15 years and I still have days

It's going to be hard to play from a wheelchair and the iv is going to get in the way, but I will still play

welcome to ts enjoy your stay!