Windows 8 / 10 - Still having problems?

fir3w0rx

If you've tried everything, including these...

http://www.bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/182360-cc-red-alert-2-windows-8-windows-10-fix/

http://xwis.net/forums/index.php/topic/182482-cc-yuris-revenge-windows-8-windows-10-fix/

and you don't want to dual-boot your Win 8/10 with an older 0S (Operating System - Win XP, Win Vista or Win 7), another thing you can try is to re-install your older OS in a virtual machine:

Download VMWare Workstation Player 12

(or click here for their homepage incase the above link has changed) - Go to Downloads -> Free Product Downloads.

• Free version - Sends ads to your email about their products, but you can always create another email. (this is a full version as far as I know)
  • Purchased version - No ads in your mailbox, but costs a lot of money.

Requirements:

• 64-bit operating system
  • Your old Windows XP, Vista, or Win 7 disk (or an image file of one of these)

VMWare Workstation Player allows you to install an OS within your current OS. So you can fire up Windows 7 while still running your Windows 10 for example, or boot up good old Windows 95 with Windows 8.1 still running in the background. But the catch is that you'll still need the OS that you want to install, and slower computers might experience some lag. I've only tried RA2 on my Winows 8.1 (with WinXP VM), but it should also work in Windows 10.

Alternatively, you can install the Yuri's Revenge client from cncnet.org which allows you to play both Yuri's Revenge and the Red Alert 2 (using the RA2 mode)

Excellent idea!

What's performance like with VMWare? I hope it doesn't lag? Can it do full screen? What if RA2 crashes while quick matching or something and you're "locked" - can you still switch back?

My CPU supports: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2 and FMA3.

I'm guessing it should work. Willing to give this a try!  :)

Excellent idea!

What's performance like with VMWare? I hope it doesn't lag? Can it do full screen? What if RA2 crashes while quick matching or something and you're "locked" - can you still switch back?

My CPU supports: MMX, SSE, SSE2, SSE3, SSSE3, SSE4.1, SSE4.2, EM64T, VT-x, AES, AVX, AVX2 and FMA3.

I'm guessing it should work. Willing to give this a try!  :)

Well, I wouldn't call it an 'excellent idea', it's more of a last resort :D. The performance will be slower than just running one OS. To run RA2 in full screen you'll have to be set both OSs to the same screen resolution. If the virtual machine crashes, press and hold ALT+CTRL to get out of it.

• 2 weeks later...

Just installing this!  :whenitsdone:

What is "enhanced keyboard driver"?

Damn, dat clean ass Win7 desktop! Might just go back to Win7 altogether...  :D

It sure is fast but it's also super annoying. Especially the keyboard settings. Also RA2 got black screen which I can't really fix there. So... I might just install Win7, though, 'cause it's pretty neat still. Pretty sure I won't miss Windows 10.

Can't really recommend this. Very complicated.

What is "enhanced keyboard driver"?

For keyboards with extra keys.

So... I might just install Win7, though, 'cause it's pretty neat still. Pretty sure I won't miss Windows 10.

Are you installing Win7 as a virtual machine or your OS? If it's the latter, you should definitely consider dual booting with Win 10 so you get the best of both worlds. I know Win10 kinda sux now with trying to run older software, but so did Win7 when it first came out. Plus you wouldn't want to change your mind later when you have everything re-installed already.

Are you installing Win7 as a virtual machine or your OS? If it's the latter, you should definitely consider dual booting with Win 10 so you get the best of both worlds. I know Win10 kinda sux now with trying to run older software, but so did Win7 when it first came out. Plus you wouldn't want to change your mind later when you have everything re-installed already.

As my OS.  :)

I can't consider dual booting with Win 10. I only have 119 GB of space. Can't really afford more.  :P

I have a 160 GB hard drive laying around somewhere, though, still, and I guess I could get some PXE boot going from my Synology, but, meh.

no_bueno.png.0ea5164294b394d4cbce347dd37892bb.png

I can't consider dual booting with Win 10. I only have 119 GB of space. Can't really afford more.  :P

I have a 160 GB hard drive laying around somewhere, though, still, and I guess I could get some PXE boot going from my Synology, but, meh.

I thought all techies/gamers, like yourself, has monster rigs with spare parts up the wazoo. I guess you've spent all your money on your Aahnold stuff :D

The ddraw.dll wrapper DDWrapper also solves a lot of problems for RA2/YR, with its ForceDirectDrawEmulation option enabled.

Haven't tried this myself (I haven't had to yet), but it seems to have helped some people so I've modified my first post so people can try this first before anything else.

I thought all techies/gamers, like yourself, has monster rigs with spare parts up the wazoo. I guess you've spent all your money on your Aahnold stuff :D

Well, I have a 55" TV but a 4" PC.

Could have a pretty high end rig for the money I've spent on just the PC. But hey, it's nearly inaudible and runs RA2 at high reso at 57+ fps in Windows 7 while it manages 40 fps at best in Windows 10. So, I'm happy.  :D

Might post a pic later, have to go to GYM now.

The ddraw.dll wrapper DDWrapper also solves a lot of problems for RA2/YR, with its ForceDirectDrawEmulation option enabled.

Haven't tried this myself (I haven't had to yet), but it seems to have helped some people so I've modified my first post so people can try this first before anything else.

The TS, and YR clients uses ts-ddraw https://github.com/cnc-patch/ts-ddraw. Link to the dll is floating around somewhere

VMware is very user-friendly and easy to use, just use nat or bridged Network for Connecting with cncnet. You could also use vhd boot, very nice feature since Windows 7

Running in VMWare Pro v12, I've used both NAT and Bridged (also Replicate physical network) on my virtual WinXP to try and connect to cncnet, but with no luck. It loads up and says "Connecting... can take up to 1minute", even after 10 minutes. It connects to the internet just fine though.

I've briefly read about this VHD boot thing. Apparently (since Win 7), it allows you to install a 2nd OS (without affecting your 1st OS) and boot directly into it, without having to share resources with the 1st OS. This shits on dual booting. I'll have to look into it more... right after I finish the SC2 - LotV campaign :P