RedAlert2 mode

DeCKs

Since people keep complain about authentic Ra2 yet refuses to report the differences, here's some few more minor things I noticed for ages but nobody reports it, visual related

The visual for units in buildings and units are incorrect.

Authentic Ra2 (Engineer, Gi, Tanya inside:

dcf148ac6a84a8236655ab1682a95f23.png

CnCnet Ra2:

d40dac11fd543cc9a3e5cf3fb262b256.png

Tanya is seen as blue dot, Gi red, and Engineer the green icon

Authentic YR has same as authentic Ra2

----------

For buildings there's similar issue:

Authentic RA2 (all units in building show green):

486ce33a0845878142d39e692d4b57b1.png

CnCnet Ra2:

c0167a55627c9baa8b59dc7eef95dae2.png

Green icon but not the authentic RA2 one

YR (with Gi's inside):

31ad4cef3a9ac6c11cb646d3a28cf23f.png

(For Concripts it show red, for Initiate it show purple)

I don't really care if it will be fixed to how YR does it or how authentic RA2 does it, but its wrong now eitherway in CncNet RA2

These bugs exist since I've been started here (over a year ago) but never bothered (like other I guess) to report it. If people want authentic RA2 so badly they really should report these.

More differences. Double posting on purpose so both posts get noticed.

-Yuri makes a sound when you create him, this doesn't happen in authentic RA2

-Any kind of civilian car gets auto attacked in CnCnet RA2, this doesn't happen in authentic RA2 (mostly famous for the school bus trick where you silently drop units without notice of enemy, or ivans to create a bomb bus) This was made auto attack in authentic YR. I know a map (Extra Small) where a car from a crate doesn't auto fire, so this should still be possible in YR engine.

-Putting units in Cloning vats makes a sound in CnCnet RA2, this doesn't happen in authentic RA2

Not sure if possible but maybe as bonus in RA2 mode change in ThemeMD the score music to match with RA2's (replace YR's completely may work?) or remove also YR's soundtrack in RA2mode and only enable RA2's. I love both soundtracks but this is for those that want it 'authentic' so badly.

Same goes for loading theme (which is jank in original RA2)

EDIT: Minor text fixes

More differences. Double posting on purpose so both posts get noticed.

-Yuri makes a sound when you create him, this doesn't happen in authentic RA2

-Any kind of civilian car gets auto attacked in CnCnet RA2, this doesn't happen in authentic RA2 (mostly famous for the school bus trick where you silently drop units without notice of enemy, or ivans to create a bomb bus) This was made auto attack in authentic YR. I know a map (Extra Small) where a car from a crate doesn't auto fire, so this should still be possible in YR engine.

-Putting units in Cloning vats makes a sound in CnCnet RA2, this doesn't happen in authentic RA2

Not sure if possible but maybe as bonus in RA2 mode change in ThemeMD the score music to match with RA2's (replace YR's completely may work?) or remove also YR's soundtrack in RA2mode and only enable RA2's. I love both soundtracks but this is for those that want it 'authentic' so badly.

Same goes for loading theme (which is jank in original RA2)

EDIT: Minor text fixes

Regarding the first post, that's commonly called Pip Corruption, it happens, even in RA2 just not that commonly as in YR, its a original game bug nothing to do with cncnet changes.

This bug was fixed in Ares but every time i propose we should port Ares fixes over i get "its not mp related important issues why should we bother blablablabla 100 reasons not to be assed to port them hurhurdruhuurdur...." and then im ignored for the whole day...

so i've long gave up on that..

He does yes, we don't ship a custom soundmd.ini for the mode, gotta take a look if its Global i guess tho maybe we should it if is.

That's weird, gonna take a look at some point at that..

Eh workaround of sorts, WW Pacific recycled the Cloning Vats code into the Grinder code but instead of making a copy they replaced it completely, the Cloning Vats grind feature in YR is just a Grinder that can only grind infantry, the grinder had a preset sound it could only be overwritten.

That is actually the original sound the Cloning Vats in RA2 should have had played but for whatever reason is broken.

Regarding the first post, that's commonly called Pip Corruption, it happens, even in RA2 just not that commonly as in YR, its a original game bug nothing to do with cncnet changes.

This bug was fixed in Ares but every time i propose we should port Ares fixes over i get "its not mp related important issues why should we bother blablablabla 100 reasons not to be assed to port them hurhurdruhuurdur...." and then im ignored for the whole day...

so i've long gave up on that..

I get this 100% of the time and only in RA2 mode and never in CnCnet YR mode. Are you sure this is an original game bug? I have never seen it in authentic YR nor RA2, only in CnCnet RA2 mode. To add more into it when you put concripts into buildings they show up as 'purple' so basically all the icons are just swapped around it seems for units in buildings and units in other units (helis, transports, etc...)

I mean its not that I don't believe you but I have just never had this bug in modes outside RA2 mode, and it also happens 100% of the time, always in RA2 mode.

Thanks for explanation! Hopefully they give time at some point to port it over, even minor polishing is very important for games ;)

------

More differences (yeah, I am going through everything right now, even though I am not even that big fan of authentic RA2 over YR)

-Allied Service Depot can sell units when you put them on repair in RA2. Doing so will make EVA say "Unit sold". This is not possible in CnCnet RA2 and has been 'patched' in YR 1.001.

RA2:

ef5544f0447818705432143607806281.png

Ra2 CnCnet:

dc598b9c6dd32ff6de874faf56838e7f.png

YR 1.001 patch note:

The player could sell a vehicle that was being repaired on an Allied Repair Depot, unlike the Soviet Repair Depot. Now, the player can’t use either type of Repair Depots to sell vehicles.

Never understood myself why only allied could do this (since if Soviet had it they had a kind of grinder like in YR but in RA2, which is kinda cool I guess), but in YR 1.001 they decided to strip the feature completely from the game.

I don't know if they removed it from the game code.

-----

EDIT:

This is a bug in both authentic RA2 and CnCnet RA2 but all navel shipyards should be powered = no

The reason to this is because the animation of navel shipyard get extremely buggy if you repair units with it while you're low on power. Now you may think 'but you can't repair units anymore this is good!' Here's the thing: you still can. This was fixed in YR by making it powered = no (so it still animates while you're low on power, thus not get buggy). I see this more as a bug than trying to be authentic, so I report it as such.

Screenshot:

8f6c6cb6330659af9a017bc523fd932f.png

-Allied Service Depot can sell units when you put them on repair in RA2. Doing so will make EVA say "Unit sold". This is not possible in CnCnet RA2 and has been 'patched' in YR 1.001.

(...)

YR 1.001 patch note:

The player could sell a vehicle that was being repaired on an Allied Repair Depot, unlike the Soviet Repair Depot. Now, the player can’t use either type of Repair Depots to sell vehicles.

Never understood myself why only allied could do this (since if Soviet had it they had a kind of grinder like in YR but in RA2, which is kinda cool I guess), but in YR 1.001 they decided to strip the feature completely from the game.

In this case, I do think this was an oversight on their part, maybe a remnant from Tiberian Sun coding (they didn't even bother replacing the tiny TS green sell cursor). The Allied Service Depot replaced the Tiberian Sun Service Depot in coding (since there was only one there), so the unit sell coding applied only to the Allied one, not the Soviet one.

• 2 months later...