Map Size

CmdrBill

Hey all,

I love Red Alert - but what I hate is the small map sizes. The maps in Total Annihilation were maybe 100 times bigger which just meant there was much more scope for strategy and things like base crawling really weren't feasible. Is there any chance bigger maps could be made available? I'd look into it myself - but I dont have the coding ability (yet)

Cheers

100x bigger sounds a bit of an exaggeration, that would mean they were over 12000 cells across. It would be difficult if not impossible to extend the maps as so much is based on the 128*128 nature of the grid and the references to this number are all over the place thanks to macros and inlined functions in the original code. Also bare in mind that this game was written to run on 486 class CPU's and 8Mb of ram so there were practical limitations at the time and I think they did a pretty good job with such constraints.

In RA1, I am fine with 128x128 as the max size, but mission maps with that size tend to have some issues.

Usually because mapmakers won't utilise map sizes to their fullest.

Does anyone know what the largest WW mission map size is? (I'm confident it isn't 126x126)

In RA1, I am fine with 128x128 as the max size, but mission maps with that size tend to have some issues.

Usually because mapmakers won't utilise map sizes to their fullest.

Does anyone know what the largest WW mission map size is? (I'm confident it isn't 126x126)

The largest overall mission I could find was Proving Grounds at 96x96 but another one like Time Flies is 102 x 88 also I believe the max optimal size for missions is probably 124 x 124 with x=2 and y=2 as reinforcement scripts need room to work smoothly and projectiles use to crash the game when going over the map at the max size but thankfully been fixed