commando c4 plant issue

rabidsnypr

Question

I was in a game the other day. The guy had a Advanced Guard Tower left in his base and that was all. I went to send a commando to c4 it and he couldn't do it. So i made more and tried it and they couldn't do it either. I would of recorded it for proof but my phone was completely dead. If I run across the issue again, I will record it and share it to show you guys.

thanks.

10 answers to this question

While we are already discussing the commando: I sometimes see an AI commando attack a building with its gun instead of C4'ing it. Is that AI-only behavior or can my commandos do that too? Not that a commando's rifle deals any significant damage to buildings anyway.

Oh, true, they kinda disabled that too :P

But yeah, this is the same thing that originally prevented players from capturing the advanced comm center in single play despite the building technically being capturable; the mouse cursor function simply doesn't allow you to give that command with that unit.

In the Commando's case, it's probably to prevent them from being used in groups as infantry artillery.

I'm not sure it's the same, well maybe it's the same, but then that means there's another exception. Because the commando doesn't just refuse to guard, he also won't shoot at enemies within range, and the only units that don't do that are stealth tanks and helis (again, AI helis do guard, human helis don't).

Well the exception I was talking about was the bombing cursor anyway :P

The guard exception is probably done exactly the same as the helicopters thing in that one Nod mission where you have to capture the helipad. Basically, normally, the "guard" function simply immediately calls the "Area Guard" function if it detects the helicopter is AI-owned. Except, it also does a check on side and mission number (Well, it did; I made that a more generally-usable mission option now), to keep the "guard" logic instead for that mission.

For the Commando, I imagine they just built an exception into the infantry "guard" and "Area guard" functions that check if the unit is a player-owned commando, and if so, simply call the function of the "Stop" command instead, or something like that. Actually, I'm not sure if there's any specific command in the game that can be put on a unit so it doesn't attack unless it's attacked first. "Sticky" is kind of like that, but strangely, units on "Sticky" only react after the second time you shoot at them. I never really experimented with "Stop" though; it's only used for unarmed units normally.

was the commando approaching from the north?

mostly from the north in general. I also had it happen with the nod obelisk too.

they are buildings. so they should be abled to get c4ed. I don't see why there would be a change in that.

and not being able to capture advanced comm centers and nod temples is retarded. get that nuke and ion cannon. double the pleasure, double the fun.

Look, before I fixed that mess, the ACC was capturable in multiplay but the Temple wasn't. I'm sure everyone agrees that that was hardly fair X_x

I don't see why there would be a change in that.

A change? This bug is as old as the game. It targets the center of the building, and fails to bomb that because when they get there they're not on an actual occupied cell, since the 'hovering' part of the building on the top cell counts too. The same bug happens when trying to bomb a church from the top.