Discuss Client Update 2.4X

DeCKs

Other than that, the UI has been entirely re-made and re-written. The client should crash far less often (I'm aiming for never, but we'll see if I manage to achieve that ;) ) and be a lot smoother to use. I currently have an UI that's fairly close to the original YR client UI in layout (and similar to the DTA / TI game lobby UIs if you've played them), but whether Grant keeps my default UI or changes it to be similar to the current 2.4X YR UI is up to him.

Should of, could of, would of...

IMHO the window is too wide. Some people use 1024 x 768. Also I would've written the client in C++.  8)

At least it looks good, Rampa!  :tibsun:

Should of, could of, would of...

It is never a good idea to make too strong promises about an in-development project. The only thing I'm promising for certain is that it'll be better than DTA's old client, which is already better than YR's current client.

IMHO the window is too wide. Some people use 1024 x 768.

By default the client runs at 1280x768 (although this will also be up to Grant; he can change it), but the client will scale its window smaller if your desktop resolution is lower. It'll obviously result in the textures and text getting down-sized so they lose some quality, but it's still usable even at 1024x600.

Also I would've written the client in C++.  8)

And I write it in C# :P

At least it looks good, Rampa!  :tibsun:

Better graphics are another goal of the UI re-write ;)

I currently have an UI that's fairly close to the original YR client UI in layout (and similar to the DTA / TI game lobby UIs if you've played them), but whether Grant keeps my default UI or changes it to be similar to the current 2.4X YR UI is up to him.

Yeesss! Use the authentic layout! Not only will we be better then xwis, but people can't say anymore 'waaa in xwis you have the authentic client and it feels more nostalgic' We will win on both sides.

if you can make the layout, the UI, and graphics identical how the online was on YR (similar how the UI is authentic right now when you select skirmish, cncnet, etc) I would 100% love it, and it makes it feel like you play the old YR online again, but of course higher resolution in mind, since the window isn't stuck on 800x600 (like in YR)

Keep up the great work and as long its better then current 2.4x client I am happy.

Use the authentic layout! Not only will we be better then xwis, but people can't say anymore 'waaa in xwis you have the authentic client and it feels more nostalgic' We will win on both sides.

if you can make the layout, the UI, and graphics identical how the online was on YR (similar how the UI is authentic right now when you select skirmish, cncnet, etc) I would 100% love it, and it makes it feel like you play the old YR online again, but of course higher resolution in mind, since the window isn't stuck on 800x600 (like in YR)

I said close to the original YR client UI, not original YR UI :P The client's UI is very customizable so Grant could make the client look a lot like YR's UI though, if he wants that is. However, I won't be making that UI since I personally don't play YR and want to focus my efforts on DTA. I'm happy as long the YR client runs and it can be used for playing games reliably and with a decent user experience.

Use the authentic layout! Not only will we be better then xwis, but people can't say anymore 'waaa in xwis you have the authentic client and it feels more nostalgic' We will win on both sides.

I said close to the original YR client UI, not original YR UI :P The client's UI is very customizable so Grant could make the client look a lot like YR's UI though, if he wants that is. However, I won't be making that UI since I personally don't play YR and want to focus my efforts on DTA. I'm happy as long the YR client runs and it can be used for playing games reliably and with a decent user experience.

My bad, heh. Well, I also liked your old YR client UI, I just don't like the 2.4x UI, so hopefully once the default UI get used again it will not be modified again (by Grant) for the worse. If it does, make it a setting or something which UI we can use (something you obviously don't have to/will implement), or let people vote. If everyone prefer/liked the 2.4x UI than I can accept it, but barely anyone uses the forums that play YR apparently.

I will wait now for the client and we'll see than how everything goes :)

make it a setting or something which UI we can use (something you obviously don't have to/will implement)

The client has supported multiple themes for 3 years. Just compare the following:

http://rampastring.cnc-comm.com/cncnet/newclient/cncnetgamelobby_topbar.png

http://rampastring.cnc-comm.com/cncnet/newclient/classictheme.png

(Those themes have just visual changes, but themes can have different layouts as well - for a YR theme it'd be possible to move the buttons to the sides and give them a texture similar to what they had in YR, and re-arrange the rest of the game lobby to compensate for that)

make it a setting or something which UI we can use (something you obviously don't have to/will implement)

The client has supported multiple themes for 3 years. Just compare the following:

http://rampastring.cnc-comm.com/cncnet/newclient/cncnetgamelobby_topbar.png

http://rampastring.cnc-comm.com/cncnet/newclient/classictheme.png

(Those themes have just visual changes, but themes can have different layouts as well - for a YR theme it'd be possible to move the buttons to the sides and give them a texture similar to what they had in YR, and re-arrange the rest of the game lobby to compensate for that)

Never knew about this, now I do. Just checked in the options of YR client and there's indeed a 'client theme' option, but there's only 1 named 'Yuri's Revenge'. So even with the multiple theme option when 2.4x came out, the old theme just got removed and replaced, which is unfortunate.

if both will be pickable in the next client (which is done by Grant, I know), it would be perfect, instead of forcing us to deal with one or another

If you're interested in screenshots from the new client and information about the technical changes compared to the current client, you can read the following:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/the-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age/news/revealing-dawn-of-the-tiberium-age-version-115

Looks very awesome and I am very thankful that you are willing to make one for YR even though you are not the greatest fan of it. <3

---

The old client has updated to 2.49 today so here's feedback of that:

Fixed: Multiple lines by people ONLY. Internal messages are still 1 line only (Screenshot of bug: https://i.gyazo.com/04dcf4e1bc65f088038a469af9e1314a.png

Fixed: Map name position is now okay

Unconfirmed: Reconnection errors. So far I havn't got any yet at beginning of game, but had one during middle of game on an official map, so I believe this one was actually not false positive and someone tried screwing the game (Screenshot: https://i.gyazo.com/8013677842483534b9dec58f4258c7c9.png

No new bugs appeared as far as I know, so with alone 2 things being fixed (1 being unconfirmed), I am positive about this update so far.

2.50 feedback

Fixed: Internal messages are now properly too

Still havn't got a single Reconnection Error at the beginning of game, even though I had some new maps

Bug:

While map titles has been moved (Since 2.49) the titles are still incredible cut, making the position change pretty much useless

Example Hammer and Sicle is called Hammer and

Screenshot:

d43abe89b11e2d65f3fdc7d6804ee2a4.png

There's far enough space for full title, so I mark this as a bug

EDIT: Nevermind internal messages still get cut at times:

775a442ab4a804c82f1a1bc57b68d426.png

I think it starts to happen when you can scroll in the chat.

EDIT:

Bug:

If you max your window size and turn it back to normal, the ready icons for players disappear, so you no longer see if someone is ready (unless you max it again).

I wasnt sure where to post this, so I post it here. I have some suggestions for future implementations in the cncnet client:

- when I right click on a players name in the nickname's list on the right hand side of the cncnet client, I want to be able to add that person to my friends list

- in the friendslist, I want to be able to see which friend is online and which one isnt

- in the friendslist, I want to be able to rightclick on a friends name (who is online) and join his game

(if i posted this in the wrong place, please refer me to the right place, thanks)

Cropped, cropped, and more cropped... at least that's what appears to be the main theme nowadays with the game lobby. The map title card at the bottom, the chat log when window is maximized and of course the list of available maps when hosting--all these things have rather annoying cutoffs to them. Unless I know where exactly where on the list the map I plan on using is located, it's an utter pain sometimes picking out the right one, especially if it's got a long title. In addition, the cropped title card certainly doesn't help to validate whether or not the right map was selected.