Discuss Client Update 2.4X

DeCKs

Writing comments on this update. On my Peer, very fine print. You can then increase it as?

I noticed the rank game. As will be realized, and when players will be registered to working functionality is friends.

P.S.

sorry my english :roll:

the text is definitely too small!!

You can't resize the windows, so you can't see the full map preview. This is a major problem. Please don't lock windows size.

Also, there is no lock game button. It's been labeled exit! - fixed y'all rock!

(ps. thanks a ton!)

When hosting, the list of available maps is way too cropped, making it very difficult to differentiate custom maps with long titles that are very similar to one another. The map title card on the game lobby is placed too far to the right so players can't see its entire name. Also, in the game lobby, as far as chat, it only enters the first line of whatever you send.

You can't resize the windows, so you can't see the full map preview. This is a major problem. Please don't lock windows size.

This PLEASE. When you get a new map and it 'loaded' I used to change size so its no longer bugged, but also when you put your window on full screen you can see the map much better. With the size locked now this feature has been removed basically and is a very high priority IMO to fix up.

Other suggestions:

-When you are ready (or server sees you ready since it lags at times) grey out the ready button. I keep mass press the button because I am never sure when I am ready and the hosts don't like it very much

-This used to be in old client, which kicked me many times, so not sure if its still there. But when you are ready and press the ready button again the host sees again you did press the button. Probably a good combination of the first suggestion to either not show again you pressed ready or to grey out the button

-Lobby room info text is way too small like some mentioned

-I dislike the new 'powered by gamesurge' all over the lobby. This info is suppose to be at the login or client launcher or something. Why did this unnecessary information replace the online information how many people are in chat and online? (Old: https://i.gyazo.com/00f719a8be2ce4c56ad2a3b3135d0e5d.png)

-I dislike the removal of auto login. Why? Now when I press 'cncnet' I need press login another time because auto login has been removed. Again, unnecessary removal. Also, this is where the 'powered by gamesurge' should be, not the lobby.

Overall in general I LOVE The improvements of lag and ping and such, but I really think the UI is going downhill since the first 'modern changes' and its now getting even worse.

Also, months ago I remember thanking cncnet for providing the services to play the old games again, so let me end this 'pretty negative' post with another. I am still playing and I love playing Yuri's Revenge again! Thanks a lot for that. xwis sucks.

Quite frankly, there is a lot of errors right now on the red alert 2 client. Some are making it an unbearable experience:

1. Often, after I quit the client, my cursor in firefox is messed up. I have to restart firefox to get it working. This may not be fixable, but worth mentioning.

2. Almost always when I play a created map that needs to be transferred it results in a recon error in the first 5 seconds of gameplay. This is concerning because new players then just leave and after waiting 10 minutes for a game to have to wait again it makes playing created maps a pain in the arse.

3. When chatting in the game room (and other lobbies), the chat cuts off text after a few words. This is blisteringly annoying when trying to get messages across. Makes it not even worth the while.

4. The general slowness of everything is really killing the experience. I join a game, it takes 15-30 seconds for everyones countries, spots, etc. to load up. I select "Iraq" and it takes an additional 10 seconds to register that request. It's rather annoying when people are trying to get games going and I'm not sure what team/starting point I have because it labels me as "???" even after clicking "iraq".

5. On that note, it seems that when I press things like country: Iraq or "I'm ready" button, it doesn't register on my end (I can't see the change) but the host can and it goes through.

Chat seems to be much better!

Just had a recon error on the first 'transfer map' that I tried. It was a 6 player game on a new map. Recon occurred in the first 2 seconds of game play, and we ended up not being able to get a game started.

Good luck and thanks for update(s).

Chat seems to be much better!

Just had a recon error on the first 'transfer map' that I tried. It was a 6 player game on a new map. Recon occurred in the first 2 seconds of game play, and we ended up not being able to get a game started.

Good luck and thanks for update(s).

Can you upload the map that was played?

I have unfortunately not any good news to uncover.

Reconnection errors still happen on new maps:

318da8d2f2c7aa963c67ca8b5418eace.png

The map in case you wonder:

ce904ed39fc3a3d67f12fcb978b2c13b.png

And multiple lines still don't work for me, not sure how it did for someone else:

e554f61461ecaa6b2b8f7b7c1684b4fc.png

Also, windows still can't be resized again. I always max my window during map preview so I could see everything beautifully. Now that the window is fixed size I can't anymore. Please enable this again, I see it as a critical bug, since I can't make proper strategies before game start.

apart from the recon errors: mcv at start makes wierd decisions and it crashes with a recon error. it could be the n d combination while telling it to move trying to create the mcv to cancel out the deploy function to move somewhere and that could cause it to crash? dunno.

and ive seen that cheats are reintroduced with the new client. Saw a guy build whatever he wanted with just one mcv. i guess thats something new to see. i guess the client itself blocks them when they enter the game but nothing can be done when theyre in the game itself.

apart from having most text dissapear in the lobby and pm if you type too much it just goes off-screen.

to me the client is more broken then it ever was and im wondering what downgrade you have in store for us next.

Wish it just go back to the UI and functionality when I joined half year or so ago. The only thing I think improved is that "Persistent Game Lobby" is now defaulted, but that's actually it.

I really dislike personally the UI changes going on. The main thing where you press 'skirmish' 'cncnet' etc is very nice and is 100% replicate of Yuri's revenge, but rest is doing a really poor job trying to be 'modern' but even if it was modern, this is a 2001 game. It should look more retro, and the older UI was much superior.

Old ui:

EPeSd8L.png

Everything is nice, readable, credits options etc are not extremely ugly white boxes, map name is not too far to right. the buttons actually look more modern and professional to me, nice checkboxes. The only thing that looks a bit generic is the kick/ban button.

Now the new UI:

33163f3ee607c53bfcea80bcd3a5f905.png

Buttons became very generic bland looking which make me want pull my eyes out, like I said the options are white ugly boxes, a lot of placement bugs, 'chat rules' that are not needed for adults playing a 2001 game, and so on...

Also, I don't know if its just me, but the client in general take 3 times longer to load now. Also, auto login has been removed for whatever reason. V3 is not even joking around it being downgrades lately, it really is.

PLEASE revert back to the old UI or fix the major issues it has right now, because its disgusting.

EDIT: And obviously the feature based issues (ex: reconnection errors) need be fixed too, but that's clear by now.

kick button works but the ban button... well its the same as kicking someone out of the game. OH OH did you know?! If you put a lock on something it closes down! Still i wonder what the lock game button is for since i keep having to kick people out after i press it. Best would be to rename it to: Host Ready.

Far too many errors that make the game almost unplayable.

In games where we are trying to get more than 5 players in or so, everybody has bugs where they can barely switch their colors/spots/teams without long delays.

Recon errors exist on transfer maps about 80% of the time.

Chatting is still a pain in the arse as it cuts off your chat in the game lobby and I think in the chatroom lobby as well.

I know you guys are working on it and I can't personally do much to help, but here's to hoping that things develop sooner rather than later as it is a very buggy situation right now.

Tired of waiting personally.

I just wait until they finally fixed (or reverted), until then I take a break. Its literally unplayable.

I mean jeez I wonder why user count of YR went to low 100 around peak unlike 180+ month or so ago. No clue guys, but let's keep it like this and don't revert it, if we don't have time to fix it.

I just wait until they finally fixed (or reverted), until then I take a break. Its literally unplayable.

I mean jeez I wonder why user count of YR went to low 100 around peak unlike 180+ month or so ago. No clue guys, but let's keep it like this and don't revert it, if we don't have time to fix it.

It went below 100 because of the update that was pushed and notified everyone to update. Tried experimental updates tonight to which were reported to be causing issues, so rolled back.

Having more issues with the selection screen on rooms in the 2.46 version.

Very laggy when selecting your country / spot / color, this causes desyncs most of the time, making players not start the game when the host does and viceversa.

Also, in some specific maps or perhaps most of them have issues when a player tries to select the spot 8, it just cannot get selected.

Joining and hosting a room is also taking really long.

It went below 100 because of the update that was pushed and notified everyone to update. Tried experimental updates tonight to which were reported to be causing issues, so rolled back.

Is there any reason why we can't just go back to how it was in 2.3x? This was before there were a lot of issues, or even better; before the UI changes, which is when it was even better (besides Persistent Game Lobby not being defaulted). I really want play your game again because I love it (and sorry for frustration), but the updates were only for worse, and if you have any explanation why you can't just revert to code from 2.3x (like behind the scene changes) I don't see why not to do it while looking behind scene into the bugs that were reported in 2.4x, so we have a stable client meanwhile, since its really unstable right now, like Ankarar saying its very sluggy and slow.

Kabooms (if that is reason to not revert) is not any less either. They still appear as often, or a slight bit less. But I rather kaboom at times then sitting in frustration from non-stop recon errors, slow in-room selections, and the awful UI.

There will likely be a new client release in the next couple of weeks.  Rampastring has constructed a new client, which he has kindly allowed us to extend for Yuri's Revenge too.

That's fantastic news. I have just read by looking at his history that he's indeed making a new client. Send a love letter from me to him that he's doing a great job and hopefully its much better than the current client is :)

I will patiently wait. Sorry for being an ass, it was just frustration.

The biggest reason for many of these issues is that the old client was designed to be run on the CnCNet IRC network. However, we were forced to switch to GameSurge's IRC network around the new year, and the GS IRC network enforces a very strict network traffic limit compared to the CnCNet IRC network that I originally made the client for. The new client however has been made with the GS IRC network in mind. I can't promise that the delays and lag will be gone entirely, but it will be better.

Other than that, the UI has been entirely re-made and re-written. The client should crash far less often (I'm aiming for never, but we'll see if I manage to achieve that ;) ) and be a lot smoother to use. I currently have an UI that's fairly close to the original YR client UI in layout (and similar to the DTA / TI game lobby UIs if you've played them), but whether Grant keeps my default UI or changes it to be similar to the current 2.4X YR UI is up to him.

One thing is clear: due to technical changes, re-sizable client windows are gone. In fact, the whole client will run in just a single window. You'll be able to change the size of that window in the settings, but you won't be able to re-size it while it's running.