Cities in RA

ROB

A test concept. It does not look right to me. Am I missing a block to blend the cement/grass better? All the buildings are 4x4, maybe some other sizes mixed in would look better. The buildings are arranged too grid like.  Anyone have any suggestions?

RA_City.png

I got a few more smaller buildings added and scattered them all a bit more. I think this might work. I can see what you mean by the wide horizontal sidewalks and the concrete being too bright. Idk if Allen is up for anymore editing, I could get to it eventually but I already have a lot to do. Looks like the building shadows might need some work too. Theres some old civilian type vehicles on the archive somewhere I'm gonna add in for aesthetics, more screen shots incoming  :D

RA_City02.png

I think the dark concrete looks better but the edges are still an issue. If you have all those tiles still would you mind uploading them or sending to me?

Here is the latest iteration of the city. I added a semi truck, land rover, pickup truck, sedan, and a VW bug.

EDIT: I been staring at this for a while and I see some issues. Its obvious the buildings were converted from isometric gfx and the scale is mostly off. I'm not sure if im happy with any of this  :S

RA_City03.png

Just a mockup pic I did. It just not that easy. There are 29-ish more tilesets that have to be edited besides the roads. In Photo Shop there may be some color palette probs. I think I have RTM type on file so Is sould be able to set the ground surface quickly once the .bat is programed.

Don't think I can do any thing with the edges.

I think the dark concrete looks better but the edges are still an issue. If you have all those tiles still would you mind uploading them or sending to me?

Here is the latest iteration of the city. I added a semi truck, land rover, pickup truck, sedan, and a VW bug.

EDIT: I been staring at this for a while and I see some issues. Its obvious the buildings were converted from isometric gfx and the scale is mostly off. I'm not sure if im happy with any of this  :S

I think the biggest problems now is abscense of shadows and, you know, cities aren't giant grey squares :D you can make it more oval and add some grass. also edgy roads and overall perspective: roads are straight vertical or horisontal, but most of the buildings facing diagonally. buildings made in straight rows or blocks will look much better

Thanks for the suggestions. Yes the shadows I drew are not even noticeable, I'll need to fix that. I don't know if I really have the skill to design new straight facing buildings, these were just converted from TS and sprite sheets so they are crooked (designed for other games). I can certainly enhance the city with grass/trees and eventually I'll work on the sidewalk perspective for the horizontal roads. Been about a week since I worked on the city, its on my list.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...