Ladder Preview for Yuri's Revenge & Tiberian Sun

Grant

https://ladder.cncnet.org/

-

Points to note:

• This is only a preview. In no way should it be considered finished or final as it is far from it. This should not even be considered beta.
  • Games are received from the clients and displayed in the UI.
  • Account authentication is ready, and when the ladder is released in an official testing phase you will be able to create your nicknames.  Which means you will have control over your nicknames, clans and so on with a username and password.
  • Currently you are all playing under a test account which signs into the Ladder when you click connect (silently). Obviously this will change when an official testing phase becomes available.
  • The Ladder UI is liable to change and results you see will not be saved in releases.

-

Bugs to note in the UI, some links and search will not work right now as is it still part of development.

Hope this answers a few questions.

thanks for the update? jokez?

ladder has been announced in 2014, its been 2 years and we get to see a "preview".

i mean i dont wanna be an ass and personal attack any1 or any1's work, but why would u announce something and give ppl wrong hope and faith?

like just work on what you wanna work on and once its done just announce and release it, this hope n faith-game n most likely "keep ppl on your server-game" was nothing but disgusting.

most stunning part was all the naive and dumb ppl getting trapped by it.

however, out of curiosity.

1) when you speak of "account authentication", how exactly will it work like?

2) how will the point-system work like? ex. will you start off from 0ptz, or 1000ptz. how many ptz can you gain the most, lose the most, etc?

3) what exactly stops you guys from finalizing a proper and running ladder? time? interests? knowledge?

thanks, pablo24.

ladder has been announced in 2014, its been 2 years and we get to see a "preview".

i mean i dont wanna be an ass and personal attack any1 or any1's work, but why would u announce something and give ppl wrong hope and faith?

like just work on what you wanna work on and once its done just announce and release it, this hope n faith-game n most likely "keep ppl on your server-game" was nothing but disgusting.

It is 2016 and YR/Ra2 has been going on for 15 years now. We get new EA sports games that last 1-2 years for comparison.

I see no wrong hope here. We can visually see a ladder in progress that is able to take statistics from the games and input them into the ladder. That's pretty remarkable!

The thing is, this is a completely community-driven project. This is by the community, for the community, and they are using the best tools they have (note: they don't have EA's ladder system dedicated to them already).

You should check things out, as I see you playing more and more often. There is a thriving community amongst cncnet, if you give the community a chance. I know you appreciate excellent YR games as much as I do. Join a tournament!

As for the questions, I hope someone can answer them as I am interested in them as well.

thanks for the update? jokez?

however, out of curiosity.

1) when you speak of "account authentication", how exactly will it work like?

2) how will the point-system work like? ex. will you start off from 0ptz, or 1000ptz. how many ptz can you gain the most, lose the most, etc?

3) what exactly stops you guys from finalizing a proper and running ladder? time? interests? knowledge?

thanks, pablo24.

Hello,

I don't quite follow, you're pretty far out with your dates.  The ladder was first released for Red Alert, Tiberian Sun and their expansions in October 2015.  The beta was then closed in February 2016.  It's been less than a year from no Yuri's Revenge statistics at all to it sending results to our API. I'd say that's pretty good considering all the other elements it required to get it working.

Don't forget, Yuri's Revenge Online for CnCNet was only released back in February 2015.

1:

• You will have the option of logging into the client if you want to play a ladder game. You will have the option to create an account within the client, and eventually on the site. In no way are you forced to login to the client, Guest login will always be available.
  • Once you are signed in, you can play ladder games.

2: You start off with 1000 points. It's ELO based.

3: Time and manpower.

We have exactly myself, and Tahj working on the Ladder API and UI. But it's mainly Tahj, I only dabble with the UI for when things are needed.

The other guys, mainly FunkyFr3sh, dkeetron, CCHyper, tomsons26 work on patching the games, and doing the magic like getting the game to produce stats.

So it's time yes, and manpower. There isn't enough, we are pretty stretched.

There's also a work life balance to be had otherwise you become burnt out with everything.

• 3 months later...

Hi,

You say ELO based.. so in that case will there only be played matches accordingly to your own skill?

I for one want to play EVERYONE from noob to pro.

Just like in real "sports" top teams play lower tiered teams aswell. Its not weekly real madrid against barcelona for example.

The reason i stopped playing Act Of Agression was solely for the ladder system. I couldnt match anyone else anymore and was daily playing the same people wich got boring.

I wonder what happens to the best system ever created? The badge system from ra2 / yr ?

This system really represent skill and dedication aswell as achievement to reach at some point.

Why cant this be copied and used for example? So people see instead of the "YR" logo or the "?" Mark the badges that were created by WoL ?

Thanks for the effort done so far

Hi,

You say ELO based.. so in that case will there only be played matches accordingly to your own skill?

I for one want to play EVERYONE from noob to pro.

Just like in real "sports" top teams play lower tiered teams aswell. Its not weekly real madrid against barcelona for example.

The reason i stopped playing Act Of Agression was solely for the ladder system. I couldnt match anyone else anymore and was daily playing the same people wich got boring.

I wonder what happens to the best system ever created? The badge system from ra2 / yr ?

This system really represent skill and dedication aswell as achievement to reach at some point.

Why cant this be copied and used for example? So people see instead of the "YR" logo or the "?" Mark the badges that were created by WoL ?

Thanks for the effort done so far

How did the badge system work?

The badge system worked as the following :

*Numbers are fictional*

100 points : soldier 1 stripe

200 points : corporal 2 stripes

300 points : sergeant 3 stripes

400 points : lieutenant 1 square

500 points : captain 2 squares

500 points : colonel 3 squares

700 points : general 1 star

850 points : general 2 star

1000 points: general 3 star aka supreme commander ( like shepard from gdi)

It was a monthly ladder wich reset every 1st of the month.

You had every month the chance to get points as high possible thru quickmatch (ranked matches) and by the end of the month you would get that badge and KEEP it.

If the next month you would do less your badge would still remain aka no demotion would occur.

But by keep playing you would get better and eventually have a better badge next to your name.

Thus this means that it was very representative to see how good or bad or average someone was.

It didnt matter if you played 24/7 you would not reacha certainn badge if you werent on that level.

It was a very rewarding system and a great achieving factor to reach certain badges.

It would reflect your grow as a player.

In battlefield games for example everyone reaches lvl 99 at some point. Even the biggest noob that never had a positive score ingame. Just by time you would get there. In the RA2/YR system you would only get there thru skill.

You would play everyone

for example : If you were number 1000 on the rank and you would play rank 1... in case you the #1000 would lose you would lose like 1-5 points but if you would win you would get 300 points.

The points here are withdrawed / added from the pool of points the opponent has.

• 2 weeks later...

The badge system worked as the following :

*Numbers are fictional*

100 points : soldier 1 stripe

200 points : corporal 2 stripes

300 points : sergeant 3 stripes

400 points : lieutenant 1 square

500 points : captain 2 squares

500 points : colonel 3 squares

700 points : general 1 star

850 points : general 2 star

1000 points: general 3 star aka supreme commander ( like shepard from gdi)

It was a monthly ladder wich reset every 1st of the month.

You had every month the chance to get points as high possible thru quickmatch (ranked matches) and by the end of the month you would get that badge and KEEP it.

If the next month you would do less your badge would still remain aka no demotion would occur.

But by keep playing you would get better and eventually have a better badge next to your name.

Thus this means that it was very representative to see how good or bad or average someone was.

It didnt matter if you played 24/7 you would not reacha certainn badge if you werent on that level.

It was a very rewarding system and a great achieving factor to reach certain badges.

It would reflect your grow as a player.

In battlefield games for example everyone reaches lvl 99 at some point. Even the biggest noob that never had a positive score ingame. Just by time you would get there. In the RA2/YR system you would only get there thru skill.

You would play everyone

for example : If you were number 1000 on the rank and you would play rank 1... in case you the #1000 would lose you would lose like 1-5 points but if you would win you would get 300 points.

The points here are withdrawed / added from the pool of points the opponent has.

Decent representation of the system however I'd like to point out a few corrections.

First, the +/- of points depended only on the amount of points each player has/had. It did not depend on rank.

This meant that, if rank 1 had 200 points and you had 0 points, you were set to win something like 50 points. There was an algorithm that determined it better than what I can explain, but the maximum amount of points that could be won in ANY scenario was 64 points. The minimum was 1. Similiarly, the maximum points that could be lost was 64 and minimum was 1.

The algorithm worked out really well.

This is not quite 100% true. It was a pretty nice system, but it depended directly on how populated the server was. If there was 100,000 players playing in a month, getting 500 points was relatively easy. (just think of the % of newbs out of 100,000 players would be = more easier points). If there was only 100 elite players playing, then it was substantially more difficult to reach higher point levels. So, in short, badges really weren't a great representation of skill... but they were *a* representation of experience/skill.

In any event, they made the YR Lobby an awesome place to be and made the game FUN. It was FUN fighting for badges. One badge that has long been retired is the 'coop' badge. The Coop badge was giving for completing the 4 various coops that came with Yuris revenge. Once you completed all 4 of them, you would get the badge. IT was a fun idea.

I have to go against the badge system as not being representative enough. There were more lower badges then there were blue badge with the 1 star.

Once you had that , you were considered a very good player. There were no players with that badge that sucked or reached that by playing only noobs or were lucky to get there.

There was a monthly active playerbase of around 60K as far as i remember that at least played 1 quickmatch or more.

If you did play more noobs you would not gain enough points as no noob was in your point reach. Maybe the first day or two you could be lucky to rise a bit.

Also losing to a noob player that caught you unattentioned with a cheese tactic could cost you a lot of points and you had to redo it all. It was all part of the game wich was fun. IF you play non stop only one type of players, you are not surprised anymore.

@ Devs : Surely this multiplayer must be in the code they have to do all this stuff? What I would like to know is why not copy paste it ? why fix or change or overhaul a system that worked perfectly and many had so much fun in it ?

I have to go against the badge system as not being representative enough. There were more lower badges then there were blue badge with the 1 star.

Once you had that , you were considered a very good player. There were no players with that badge that sucked or reached that by playing only noobs or were lucky to get there.

I'm not trying to be a douche and de-rail this thread as I agree that the badge/point system was a LOT of fun and certainly made me addicted to this game, however, what you are saying is simply not true. The only badge that had some sort of high reputation involved with it was the 3* blue badge for achieving 1001 points or more in a given month. Achieving 501 points for the 1* blue badge was certaintly an expected thing for someone who had any skill at the game to achieve.

I remember countless times people would ask me to play on their nickname to get them 501 points badge, or people would push to achieve the badge (push meaning give free wins to get the badge), so the blue 1* badge had a very shotty reputation on these fronts a lone. Ultimately, as stated before, it all was dependent on how much activity there was in a given month. That is the equalizer.

@ Devs : Surely this multiplayer must be in the code they have to do all this stuff? What I would like to know is why not copy paste it ? why fix or change or overhaul a system that worked perfectly and many had so much fun in it ?

My guess is that they do not have the code for this. The badge system depended on a different lobby / set up. CNCNet does not even have an active ladder yet. However, they do have the trial ladder that ran in November (i think) : https://ladder.cncnet.org/#/yr .

This is likely (my guess) the ladder style of the future. I'm not sure if they can or will implement a badge system in lobby, but that would make the lobby a much neater place to be.

• Grant unpinned this topic